Proposal: Elliott or Neuvirth to MTL

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Nah. Montreal has Lindgren for next year. No need muddying up the works.

Both are free agents after the season ends. Having a capable back-up (probably more Elliot than Neuvirth) allows Price to take a break. Plus if the unthinkable happens and Price get's injured, Elliot would be a better option than Niemi.

Reactions: BringJordanHome

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I wouldnt feel right sending you Neurvirth, because he'd end up getting hurt getting on the plane.

You can have Elliott for like a 5th though, assuming no one else wants him.

Reactions: BernieParent

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Both are free agents after the season ends. Having a capable back-up (probably more Elliot than Neuvirth) allows Price to take a break. Plus if the unthinkable happens and Price get's injured, Elliot would be a better option than Niemi.

It muddies things because it would give Berg pause to waste money on a different aging backup. If we're going to add a goalie to the roster, may as well call up Lindgren.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Quite ironic that Mtl would be looking at the 3rd or 4th goalie from Philly.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Flyers will need to waive McKenna, Elliott and or Neuvirth

Niemi is just not cutting it as a backup, too inconsistant.

All of them are UFA.

One of them to Montreal for a late pick?

I agree that Niemi seems to have passed his best before or play by date. I would not spend assets on either of those 3 goalies as I don't see any of them being much of an upgrade on Lindgren. Habs have 4 B2B left i think. Don't see backup getting much more than those 4 starts.

If Price gets hurt it doesn't matter- they won't make the playoffs.

That said those 4 starts may be the difference between making it or not. I would seriously consider waiving Neimi to bring up Lindgren as soon as the next B2B which is next week Monday and Tuesday.

Since the 23 man roster limit ends on Trade deadline day- monday at 3 pm, they can call lindgren up to play on Tuesday without worrying about Niemi on waivers. (thinking as I write here)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And Elliott and Neuvirth are? Lindgren deserves a shot. He should’ve been called up immediately following that embarrassing effort by Niemi on Sunday.

Elliott is surprisingly very good at 5v5. His stats were tanked by Philly's abysmal PK in the beginning of the year, but i think 5v5 he was running a 930 or something like that. Not trying to make him out to be a star, but he'd be a good cheap insurance option if you were serious about a run.

Reactions: CapnZin

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I wouldnt feel right sending you Neurvirth, because he'd end up getting hurt getting on the plane.

You can have Elliott for like a 5th though, assuming no one else wants him.

Deal. I think it's obvious at this point that Elliott can't hack it as a starter but he would be a huge upgrade over Niemi who at his worst looks like barely even a beer league goalie, not even kidding.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Neuvirth is glass. Might get a conditional 7th for him if he plays five games (he won't).

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I understand the thinking behind acquiring a more reliable back up for the rest of the year, but I'm not too worried about it. Let this season play out without making any more moves unless another GM wants to drop a gift on our lap. Habs aren't winning the Cup, so I'd rather not waste assets on something that doesn't even get us into the conversation.

If Price gets injured it will not matter who the back up is (unless it's another NHL starter). Habs would be finished.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No thanks, we would be basically giving up a late pick to acquire a guy to play ~5 games.

Not to mention, Lindgren is a better option than them.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
And Elliott and Neuvirth are? Lindgren deserves a shot. He should’ve been called up immediately following that embarrassing effort by Niemi on Sunday.

I don't think the org or supposed interest in him agrees with you. I'd expect them to give Lindgren a shot before moving assets for another vet piece.

Well, Lindgren is better than Niemi, but neither is really a good back up option. Neuvirth and Elliott at least have track records of playing well at points in their career.

End of the day, you're both probably right in that Lindgren gets the chance before the habs go looking for another goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->