(Elliott) - Jim Benning Firing: It Sounds like its coming

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I wonder who their replacement will be.

edmonton-oilers-general-manager-peter-chiarelli-talks-to-the.jpeg

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Like many people said, never a fan of people losing their jobs, but it’s obvious a change needs to happen, they are six points back, and most teams have like 4 to 5 games in hand, On a six game losing streak in a extremely important season.

Had a disaster free agency period This year, its time for a change

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The worst thing that happened to them was the run they had in the bubble last year. They went deep on the back of vezina calibre goaltending and unsustainable shooting percentages. Couple that with the inability to bring back said goalie and losing 2 top 6 defenceman and a top 6 forward while not having prospects ready to fill the roles... this could have been seen from a long distance. I'll give benning credit in his ability to draft and develop. it's the other aspects of talent acquisition, retention, and pro player talent recognition that he isn't very good at. Loui, Myers, Sutter don't bring much for a cap hit of 15 million +/-. The coaching and ability to put in the right systems to maximize the abilities of the players you DO have is also his responsibility. No offence to the nucks' fans, consistent wandering and blown assignments in the defensive zone shows zero indication of a cohesive system. Benning has had years to right the ship, I have defended some of his moves in the past, but it's time for the team to get a new voice and new ideas to create success, he has failed.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
It's pretty clear that Benning did a poor job, but the owner Aquilini seems to believe that they should be in the playoffs almost every year, and is completely against full and proper rebuilds. Vancouver has spent stupid money on mediocre vets to try and force a team that isn't ready into contention. The next guy is going to have to sign the same unnecessary contracts to keep the boss happy.

It all starts at the top, and when the owner won't allow proper time for a rebuild, I don't see how the next guy fixes things.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Benning did a good job rebuilding the team after the cupboards were naked.

Canuck owner wants to win now and my guess whomever replaces Benning will trade young kids for old vets
They don't have cap to do that at all

lawrence

May 19, 2012
On our forum i proposed that ownership can keep benning around maybe downgrade his title to amateur scout until the end of this season to at least honour this years contract. As a individual he’s not a bad person or Arrogant just not a fit as a general manager. But it’s time for a change.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I had high hopes for Vancouver this season. What are Canucks fans thoughts on being the last straw? Losing Markstrom and Tanev?

Reactions: bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad