News Article: Elliott Friedman's 30 thoughts: Goalie Equipment changes and shot blocking ban

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Prior to listing his 30 thoughts, Elliott Friedman posted info about the possibility of changing the goalies jerseys, pants etc.

Apparently, one of the considerations is tapered jerseys, which would make it harder to hide oversized equipment. The tighter the sweater, the easier it is to see how big goalies are in, say, their chest protector compared to how big they are in person.

Just a couple of ideas to put in place so league wide goal scoring doesn't become an issue, they are lalso ooking at banning certain shot blocking techniques

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-to-ban-shot-blocking-techniques/

From the 30
4. For the first time since 2004, the NHL appears to be closing in on a transfer agreement with Russia. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final that things were getting close, and it’s apparently a four-year agreement — tying into the length of the other deals with European countries. Right now, the NHL and KHL agree to honour each other’s contracts, but this will allow a per-player fee should a jump be made.

16. With Dougie Hamilton as Boston’s number-one priority and a tight cap situation, a couple sources said this week the Bruins informed UFA-to-be Carl Soderberg that he was unlikely to be re-signed. Teams are always looking for centres, and here’s an interesting stat: Soderbergh had 36 even-strength points. That’s tied with Claude Giroux, Hornqvist, Kessel and Jason Spezza, among others.

that's an impressive state, a good 5 x 5 player. Bruins have too many players (6) making north of 6M and 2 over 7M.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Let’s finish some other Pittsburgh stuff first: Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury and Kris Letang will have a $31-million cap hit between them — between 40 and 45 percent of the team’s available space. That leaves about $40 million for up to 19 players. You’ve got to save somewhere and that’s going to be on the blueline.

Penguins should trade Malkin. I know it's not a very popular opinion, but he's the best player of that four to trade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If they trade Malkin, then they're going to need more than just wingers who can play with Crosby. They'd have to replace their #1B center (who is sometimes their 1A, depending on Crosby's status).

The team needs to draft better and develop some friggin' talent, that's their biggest problem. They haven't drafted any decent forward since selecting Jordan Staal back in 2007.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't know what they were thinking with that hiring in the first place. I don't think he's made any single trade that has worked out in Pittsburgh's favor.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
No to no shot blocking.
I am ok with smaller pads for goalies.
Everything else just noises, unless someone hass 499,999,950 to buys they Pens and needs my 50 to make us even partners.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If the NHL wants to improve the on ice product, they need to focus on game flow and scoring chances.

It's not scoring specifically that's exciting, it's scoring chances.

And the most exciting games are the ones with the least amount of play stoppages.

How you accomplish these things I'm not sure, but it certainly won't be by stopping shot blocking or regulating the size of goalie pads

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Prior to listing his 30 thoughts, Elliott Friedman posted info about the possibility of changing the goalies jerseys, pants etc.

Just a couple of ideas to put in place so league wide goal scoring doesn't become an issue, they are lalso ooking at banning certain shot blocking techniques

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-to-ban-shot-blocking-techniques/

From the 30

that's an impressive state, a good 5 x 5 player. Bruins have too many players (6) making north of 6M and 2 over 7M.

Stunner, the Russian economy is going down and players are reported to be leaving and NOW the Russians want to reach a transfer agreement. Absolutely shocking. :sarcasm:

Really the first move should be firing Rutherford. Still can't believe he was hired.

This.

Also, no to shotblocking ban. It's a skill, you don't improve the game by getting rid of legit skils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad