Elite players who can score playing with scrubs

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Obvious ones being Malkin and Crosby, hell they pretty much do it already.

I think Kessel could, seems like whoever the Leafs decide to put him with he can consistently put up points.

I'd throw Giroux in there too.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
70pts

Crosby, Malkn, Kessel, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Giroux, Hall, Karlsson, Thornton, Sharp, Kane, Benn & Seguin

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Most elite players will produce no matter who they're with. You'll see minor drops in points but it won't be significant. The most influential things on production are ice time, PP ice time and how good your teams PP is.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Datsyuk had 49 points in 47 games playing mostly with Dan Cleary who had 15 points and Justin Abdelkader who had 13 points in the lockout season.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
70pts

Crosby, Malkn, Kessel, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Giroux, Hall, Karlsson, Thornton, Sharp, Kane, Benn & Seguin

Isn't Sharp pretty much a ~70 points player now, playing with Kane and all? So you would expect his production to take no hit at all? Same for Karlsson. Not that ~70 points isn't outstanding for a D or that he is playing with world class as it is, but basically no drop at all? Would you expect all those player's outputs to stay pretty much the same with scrubs?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Kane won the Conn Smythe with a player who didn't belong in a professional league at that time, Handzus, as his center.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Saku put up quite decent numbers with terrible linemates, mainly at the beginning of the 2000's.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Spezza. Generally makes his wingers pretty productive too (Greening, Michalek).

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
He's been glued to Perry for years. Do you have any evidence that he would hit 70 with scrubs?

No, your honor, I don't have "evidence" for the jury of this thread. A thread based on speculation, mind you. Note the bolded:

What NHL players could get good numbers (say 70+ points) playing with not that good (3rd liners or even worse) partners?

Notice he didn't say "have" or "will". The OP said "could". I think Getzlaf could, but for a recent example to justify that opinion, see below:

He had like 14 points in 7 games with DSP and Bourque.

DSP has potential, but has been looking more like a bottom six player lately. And Bourque was waiver fodder just prior to being picked up as a salary dump. Neither of these players are terrible, but Getzlaf is basically carrying two guys that could be 4th liners on our team with a full healthy roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad