Elimination World Cup Game in Toronto -- Not a Sellout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
arrbez said:
oh, relax my hamiltonian friend. i guess you never saw the CFL commercials about the toronto-hamilton rivalry last year eh?

but back to attendance, i would be utterly shocked if it in fact was not sold out last night. perhaps some seats were reserved and never given out, or people decided not to show up, but i honestly find it very hard to believe that all available seats were not sold. i mean, almost everyone i know would have loved to go to that game (but not at scalper prices). since it was only 33 seats or whatever, that makes me think there's some reason for it other than lack of people. i doubt i could have walked up to the gates at the last minute and just bought ticket last night

but back to air pollution, i visit my friends at school in the Hammer all the time. and in my oppinion it is indeed smellier than Toronto (not to say that Toronto isn't smelly in it's own right)... ;)
OK, let's agree that both of your cities smell bad and call it a draw.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
leafs4thecup said:
Edmonton? Calgary? Vancouver? Ottawa? These places aren't that loud when their teams are having losing seasons. Especially Edmonton. I find it to be the most overrated atmosphere in hockey. Probably better than any team in the States, and Vancouver also, but still overrated.

I hope your joking. You've just displayed your lack of hockey knowledge. OK, I guess lack of fan knowledge.

How about next time, let the west host the games. Then I wont have to leave work early just so I can catch the start of the games (stupid start times).

chicpea*

Hockeyfan02 said:
Guess some Canadians can stop ragging on Minnesota for not selling out now like they were in the US/Russia game thread....
not quite the same scale. :shakehead

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Quantas said:
Except, doesn't Montreal have a larger capacity? 21000+ compared to Toronto's 19000-20000 seat capacity? Wouldn't that translate into more money if they played more games in Montreal?

Well, if thats the case, the game should be in Edmonton at Commonwealth stadium and there would be 50,000 fans.

Considering its snowing in Edmonton right now, there wouldnt be the worry about the ice melting.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
You guys have to understand a bit about Toronto. Toronto is a crappy hockey town. Toronto is, 1) a Leafs town, and 2) an event town.

They follow the Leafs because it's tradition to moan and whine year after year.

It is an event town because it's full of sheep. They fancy themselves too sophisticated to get excited about anything - unless the media decides it's a big enough international event, and they can tell their friends they were there.

I was at the first two Canada games in Montreal. Now that's a hockey town. The atmosphere was electric.

I was at the Slovakia game at the ACC last night, and up to 25% of the Golds were empty.

Here's what happens. These tix are bought in packages as you all know. What you don't know, is that the Toronto slicksters only bought the package on the hope that Canada will make the final game. Then they can watch a period or so, and tell their buds the next day that they were there.

I live in Hamilton (45 mins up the road), and I bought the entire package, and I've been to every Canada game. They should have held the whole damn thing in Montreal.

Toronto is a poser town. A wannabe American city.

That's it boys. End of story.

Last edited:

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Cawz How about next time said:
In a perfect world the West should be entitled to it, and I'm sure they'd do a damn good job of supporting it...Problem is instead of having westeners complaining about stupid start times that force them to leave work early, you would have easterners complaining about stupid start times that force them to stay up later when they have to get up for work early...Do you think the TV ratings in the US would be better with later start times, or even the ratings in general?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
mpdman said:
You guys have to understand a bit about Toronto. Toronto is a crappy hockey town. Toronto is, 1) a Leafs town, and 2) an event town.

It is an event town because it's full of sheep. They fancy themselves too sophisticated to get excited about anything - unless the media decides it's a big enough international event, and they can tell their friends they were there.

I was at the first two Canada games in Montreal. Now that's a hockey town. The atmosphere was electric.

I was at the Slovakia game at the ACC last night, and up to 25% of the Golds were empty.

Here's what happens. These tix are bought in packages as you all know. What you don't know, is that the Toronto slicksters only bought the package on the hope that Canada will make the final game. Then they can watch a period or so, and tell their buds the next day that they were there.

I live in Hamilton (45 mins up the road), and I bought the entire package, and I've been to every Canada game. They should have held the whole damn thing in Montreal.

that's quite a story...the right mix of comedy and fiction.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Johnny said:
In a perfect world the West should be entitled to it, and I'm sure they'd do a damn good job of supporting it...Problem is instead of having westeners complaining about stupid start times that force them to leave work early, you would have easterners complaining about stupid start times that force them to stay up later when they have to get up for work early...Do you think the TV ratings in the US would be better with later start times, or even the ratings in general?

Just 1 hour later is all I ask. 8pm local time. 8pm local time is the start time for saturday night games here (2nd game of CBC double header), so its not that late. The game would still be over by 10:30 in Toronto.

Its not going to happen though, so whatever. It just means I get stuck working a bit on the weekend to make up for it.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Cawz said:
Just 1 hour later is all I ask. 8pm local time. 8pm local time is the start time for saturday night games here (2nd game of CBC double header), so its not that late. The game would still be over by 10:30 in Toronto.

Its not going to happen though, so whatever. It just means I get stuck working a bit on the weekend to make up for it.

I got no problem with 8, but I dont know how the start times are determined.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
mpdman said:

That's not the story.

If you want to go to ticketmaster.ca, and look for tickets to the Canada-Czech Republic game, you'll notice that the cheapest seat is $49, and it's all up hill from there. They go up to $753. Yeah, that's right, $753. That is the amount of money some people pay for rent. If you make minimum wage at $7.25, it will take you 101 working hours to make enough for that ticket.
That's not even including handling fees, taxes or another ticket for a friend or a date. That kind of money is what you pay for a university level course, or a crappy car. That's only the semi finals. If you wanted to go to the finals, seats cost between $71 and $1,116.

I wonder what the turn out for a game would be with these prices in Calgary or Hamilton. I wonder what kind of crowd would turn up at something like this? I'm sure the rink is going to be packed with bricklayers and kids.

But let's forget all of that. Let's pretend you're a big enough fan and you're rich enough to buy 4 or 5 of these thousand dollar gold and platinum seats. Well, guess what? The tickets are still ALL SOLD OUT.

So please, shut the hell up with the Toronto bashing, especially when you know nothing about this place.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Stephen said:
That's not the story.

If you want to go to ticketmaster.ca, and look for tickets to the Canada-Czech Republic game, you'll notice that the cheapest seat is $49, and it's all up hill from there. They go up to $753. Yeah, that's right, $753. That is the amount of money some people pay for rent. If you make minimum wage at $7.25, it will take you 101 working hours to make enough for that ticket.
That's not even including handling fees, taxes or another ticket for a friend or a date. That kind of money is what you pay for a university level course, or a crappy car. That's only the semi finals. If you wanted to go to the finals, seats cost between $71 and $1,116.

I wonder what the turn out for a game would be with these prices in Calgary or Hamilton. I wonder what kind of crowd would turn up at something like this? I'm sure the rink is going to be packed with bricklayers and kids.

But let's forget all of that. Let's pretend you're a big enough fan and you're rich enough to buy 4 or 5 of these thousand dollar gold and platinum seats. Well, guess what? The tickets are still ALL SOLD OUT.

So please, shut the hell up with the Toronto bashing, especially when you know nothing about this place.

:bow: :handclap: I'm sick of all this Toronto bashing. I"m sure if the prices were REASONABLE and MLSE didnt cater to corportations,the ACC would be LOUD but you see, I don't have $1000 saved up for a hockey ticket, instead thats saved up for more important things like university.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
BeLeafer87 said:
:bow: :handclap: I'm sick of all this Toronto bashing. I"m sure if the prices were REASONABLE and MLSE didnt cater to corportations,the ACC would be LOUD but you see, I don't have $1000 saved up for a hockey ticket, instead thats saved up for more important things like university.

you don't have to spend 1000 on a ticket...my tix for last night were $65.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Toronto sucks and the Leafs suck! I mean they don't even deserve a hockey team...everyone knows the three west coast teams have sold out tickets every season for the past 20 years. Even when their teams were bad the flames were making a killing. :joker: Didn't they have to bring in err I mean close off sections of the arena because it was a black eye?

Sure Toronto has lots of suits and Montreal and Vancouver has lots of classless fans that boo national anthems. Does that mean that Toronto has less love for hockey or that Montreal and Vancouver as a whole have less class then Toronto?

Maybe.

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
I love it. Instead of insulting us Americans directly, we are now being insulted through tangential comparisons.

Man, Toronto is so *American*. Blech. Cuz' there's -- like -- people there who don't care about hockey and rich people who just want to be seen. Heaven forbid. That's why I live in my hermit hole in the middle of freaking nowhere.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
syc said:
Toronto sucks and the Leafs suck! I mean they don't even deserve a hockey team...everyone knows the three west coast teams have sold out tickets every season for the past 20 years. Even when their teams were bad the flames were making a killing. :joker: Didn't they have to bring in err I mean close off sections of the arena because it was a black eye?

Sure Toronto has lots of suits and Montreal and Vancouver has lots of classless fans that boo national anthems. Does that mean that Toronto has less love for hockey or that Montreal and Vancouver as a whole have less class then Toronto?

Maybe.

Wow! Your certainly based a fair amount of towns there, with ignorant blanket statments. Lookout, if you make more posts like this your going to get ripped on by everyone...

Feb 24, 2004
My quote got taken out of context. I wasn't saying the western cities are bad hockey places. What I was saying is that you can't rag on T.O for not having hardcore fans show up, when clearly Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, would all have the same problem if they had the same marketplace as Toronto.

My point was that Toronto still sold more tickets when they were doing bad, then when the other three were doing bad also. That is my main argument.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
Actually its Canadians arguing with Torontonians. Trust me, there's a difference.

Actually, just because I live in the Toronto area, I don't consider myself a TORONTONIAN...I consider myself a PROUD CANADIAN. There's regional differences all over Canada and I understand all of the concepts that Toronto is Hogtown (and some I agree with) and if you want the next world Cup of Hockey out west, then petition for it and what not. There's nothing I can do :dunno: plus I'm sure if you filled the ACC without the corporation people, it would be as LOUD or louder than Montreal.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
BeLeafer87 said:
Actually, just because I live in the Toronto area, I don't consider myself a TORONTONIAN...I consider myself a PROUD CANADIAN. There's regional differences all over Canada and I understand all of the concepts that Toronto is Hogtown (and some I agree with) and if you want the next world Cup of Hockey out west, then petition for it and what not. There's nothing I can do :dunno: plus I'm sure if you filled the ACC without the corporation people, it would be as LOUD or louder than Montreal.

We shouldnt have to petition for it. Alot of people say the NHL is anti-Canadian, I think the NHL is actually anti-Western Canadian.

(Exception of the Heritage Classic I guess.)

I don't see why they had to put an exhibition game in Ottawa, which is only like an hour away from Toronto. GM Place would have been perfect for atleast one per-tourney game.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
We shouldnt have to petition for it. Alot of people say the NHL is anti-Canadian, I think the NHL is actually anti-Western Canadian.

(Exception of the Heritage Classic I guess.)

I don't see why they had to put an exhibition game in Ottawa, which is only like an hour away from Toronto. GM Place would have been perfect for atleast one per-tourney game.

Actually about 5 hours away...theyre only trying to make money and theyre all money hungry. If theyre going to make the most money in Toronto, they'll play the majority of games at the ACC but yeah I agree about the pre-tourney games, it would be cool to have some out west although there may be conflicts with timezones...like playing in one timezone one day and then playing in another, the next day or so. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal (I think) are all in the same timezone.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The Albino said:
Considering the media deemed it worthy to debate, I don't see why it can't be debated in a forum.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't tell people to "**** off."
The media deemed it a worthy debate so yes it must be. Why is it? Tell me.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
The media deemed it a worthy debate so yes it must be. Why is it? Tell me.

Because this board is about debating what's going on in the world of hockey. It's not like somebody posted a thread titled "Toronto sucks: Give your reasons." This has been a serious issue and it's no different than discussing Brett Hull walking out of practice or Finland finishing top in their pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad