Eligible players not at the tournament ?

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Once the games starts, we will see the missing players brought up more (as in "we won despite missing X and Y" and "we lost because we were missing X and Y"). Without the emotion of win and loss it might be easier to take a balanced survey of the guys who aren't there because they are are either injured or held back by their NHL team. It may also be a way to get the whining out of our systems before the games start, but, realistically, who am I kidding?

I would rank the missing player impact as follows:

1. Finland. Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Lundell. Holy crap, pretty much the whole top line is missing for Finland. That has to be far and away the biggest blow.

2. Sweden. Dahlin, Boqvist. Arguably the best player of the bunch, and his possible partner on top D pair to boot.

3. Russia. Svechnikov. While I think Dahlin is still the better prospect, Svechnikov can be argued to develop faster at this point. 1ppg NHL = ?? ppg WJC.

4. USA. Jack Hughes, Joel Farabee.

5. Canada. Kirby Dach, Noah Dobson.

Reactions: blindpass

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Once the games starts, we will see the missing players brought up more (as in "we won despite missing X and Y" and "we lost because we were missing X and Y"). Without the emotion of win and loss it might be easier to take a balanced survey of the guys who aren't there because they are are either injured or held back by their NHL team. It may also be a way to get the whining out of our systems before the games start, but, realistically, who am I kidding?

1. Finland. Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Lundell. Holy crap, pretty much the whole top line is missing for Finland. That has to be far and away the biggest blow.

2. Sweden. Dahlin, Boqvist. Arguably the best player of the bunch, and his possible partner on top D pair to boot.

3. Russia. Svechnikov. While I think Dahlin is still the better prospect, Svechnikov can be argued to develop faster at this point. 1ppg NHL = ?? ppg WJC.

This thread deserves a bump to try to pre-empt any more whining ignorant of what other teams were missing in the wake of eliminations and medal game losses. I agree with these rankings, though I'd add Pelletier who probably would have made Team Canada at Mercer's expense. Krebs likely would have been on the team of not for an Achilles injury he just returned from.

Add Kupari to Finland, out with injury. I'm likely missing others.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

sweden is also missing olofsson and hållander due to injuries.

gunler too, not injured but he should be on the team, he is just as good as raymond and Holtz.

Reactions: AB13

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
That's always been the case. Always has been and always will be. You can't expect all the players to be available each WJC because that's hockey...

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
That's always been the case. Always has been and always will be. You can't expect all the players to be available each WJC because that's hockey...
Everyone around me freaks out when there is an NHL lockout or strike. Meanwhile, I pent my fingers Mr. Burns style and quietly say to myself “Eeeeexcellent!”.

A work stoppage WJC is the no excuses tournament.

Reactions: blindpass

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Everyone around me freaks out when there is an NHL lockout or strike. Meanwhile, I pent my fingers Mr. Burns style and quietly say to myself “Eeeeexcellent!”.

A work stoppage WJC is the no excuses tournament.

Eh even during the lockouts there have been players who were held out either directly or indirectly. 1995 Canada didn't have Witt or Gratton because their teams told them to train for the season rather than play, 2005 Canada wasn't given Horton or Burns, 2013 Sweden missed Zibanejad and Latvia missed Girgensons when they weren't released. Strangely, the 2006 tournament had the fewest missing players due to the NHL despite it not being a lockout year.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Eh even during the lockouts there have been players who were held out either directly or indirectly. 1995 Canada didn't have Witt or Gratton because their teams told them to train for the season rather than play, 2005 Canada wasn't given Horton or Burns, 2013 Sweden missed Zibanejad and Latvia missed Girgensons when they weren't released. Strangely, the 2006 tournament had the fewest missing players due to the NHL despite it not being a lockout year.
Fair enough. But it’s far better than it usually ends up being.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Hey guys, does anyone happen to have a list of eligible players not at the tournament ? Can be because they haven't been released like Hughes and Kaako or can be because of injury like Lundell.

Especially curious about players from Canada, Russia, USA, Finland and Sweden.

Thanks !!

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Finland
F Kaapo Kakko (NHL)
F Jesper Kotkaniemi (NHL)
F Anton Lundell (Injured)

Sweden
D Adam Boqvist (NHL)
D Rasmus Dahlin (NHL)
F Jacob Olofsson (Injured)
F Filip Hållander (Injured)

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Finland :

Kaapo Kaako
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Anton Lundell

Sweden :

Adam Boqvist
Rasmus Dahlin
Jacob Olofsson
Filip Hallander

Russia :

Andrei Svechnikov

Canada :

Noah Dobson
Kirby Dach

USA :

Jack Hughes

Anybody else ?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Zavgorodny is definitely another one for Russia.

I find it hard to believe that he would not have made the roster after being an absolute monster at the Super Series (5 points in 2 games).

He suffered an injury after the Super Series.

Reactions: kp61c and Mathieu

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Nordgren is also missing from Finland, he has been injured for a while and kinda similar situation with Hållander that he just got back before the tournament and probably wasn’t ready after being away from the National team and playing in Liiga for a long time.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Well, I wasn’t trying to be funny, there is actual discussion in that thread which someone else named.
Me neither. Maybe a mod concatenated two threads or renamed the old one, the the "Whining" thread didn't seem to exist any more and the first posts in this one are the ones from that one.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is the same thread as the "Whining Thread" just with its title edited.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Sweden: Adam Wilsby, PPG defenseman in SHL2.
Hottest draft candidate among the overagers from Sweden, for the 2020 draft.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Sweden: Adam Wilsby, PPG defenseman in SHL2.
Hottest draft candidate among the overagers from Sweden, for the 2020 draft.
Was he injured or just not selected? Sweden had a pretty impressive set of defensemen, even without Dahlin and Boqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->