Eligibility?

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
I have a question regarding eligibility.

If a player is not drafted in the bantam/minor midget draft to go into one of the three CHL leagues are they eligiable to either of the other 2 leagues? For example if a player is not selected in the WHL's bantam draft would they then be eligable to enter into the OHL or QMJHL at a later date?

This is what I beleive happened with Claude Giroux?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Similair scenario to Trevor Lewis, who is from Utah and was never drafted into the 'dub. In that situation, a player has to pass completely through waivers before he is eligible to be picked up by a team in another league. I'm not sure at what point said player has to pass through waivers, but if he does get claimed by a team, his rights are no longer eligible to any other team in the CHL.

In the case of Trevor Lewis, he was claimed by the Chiefs here with the first waiver selection available, since we were in last place. However, he was then signed on by the Owen Sound Attack in the OHL and decided he wanted to play there. After a couple of months of deliberation, the CHL announced that Lewis would play for the Attack, a decision that the GM of the Chiefs blasted angrily.

I'm not sure what loophole they found, but I would anticipate a clarification of the rule in the coming future, so as such a scenario doesn't happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->