Player Discussion Elias Viktor Zebulon Lindholm

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Honestly, it feels like Elias Lindholm is a winger version of Mikael Backlund who somehow found his untapped offensive potential. Looking great so far.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kelly Hrudey thinks Elias Lindholm has put himself on the radar for the Selke. Idk if I'm convinced he's that good, but he's definitely been a positive addition to that top line. He keeps his play up, he definitely could be seen in the same light as Backlund defensively (much better offensively too).

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lindholm's great but I don't think a guy playing wing on the line that leads in the NHL in ES goals against while being matched up to primarily second and third lines would ever be in the running for the Selke.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Lindholm's great but I don't think a guy playing wing on the line that leads in the NHL in ES goals against while being matched up to primarily second and third lines would ever be in the running for the Selke.

its not that lindy is poor defensively....its johnny and sean

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just don't really understand how he wasn't able to break 45 points or ever really look like a good hockey player in Carolina.

Reactions: Cyrano

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I just don't really understand how he wasn't able to break 45 points or ever really look like a good hockey player in Carolina.

Especially with the same coach in both spots.

Usually a change of coach can unlock some potential but it's still the same guy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Canes fans have speculated that towards the end of his time in Carolina, he was kind of phoning it in but doing enough to keep out of Peters' doghouse

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I can kind of see it.
Most years he was there, their leading scorer would have like 50-60 points and everyone else would be below that mark. Those Carolina teams were ultra weak, especially on forward.

In Carolina it really sounded like he was used more like a Frolik, than an offensive catalyst.

It also helps playing beside Mony and Johnny. Johnny is the best offensive player he'll have ever skated with, and Monahan likely the best finisher (outside of some minutes with Skinner).

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I can kind of see it.
Most years he was there, their leading scorer would have like 50-60 points and everyone else would be below that mark. Those Carolina teams were ultra weak, especially on forward.

In Carolina it really sounded like he was used more like a Frolik, than an offensive catalyst.

It also helps playing beside Mony and Johnny. Johnny is the best offensive player he'll have ever skated with, and Monahan likely the best finisher (outside of some minutes with Skinner).

The thing that jumps out at me is how comfortable the guy looks in scoring situations. He really is a professional scorer, and it's hard to fathom how he could keep that hidden for years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Seriously I wouldn’t deal Lindholm for Ferland, Dougie and Fox.
I don't know... Fox is looking pretty damn good this year with a 2.0 pts/game average. Of course the Flames didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of signing hm so this is all a moo point.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't know... Fox is looking pretty damn good this year with a 2.0 pts/game average. Of course the Flames didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of signing hm so this is all a moo point.
All this talk of Fox and his potential is very speculative. In the last 20 years the only player from the NCAA that would warrant the concern of this magnitude would be Duncan Keith. Even his value above replacement even at Duncan Keith's level in his prime would be marginal on the Flames with Gio in the line-up today and Valimaki/Kylington down the road.

The upgrade from Ferland to Lindholm is 3-4 times more apparent. Fox is a decent young prospect but with Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson, and Kylington all under 25 it is doubtful Fox would surpass one of them never mind all of them for this level of paranoia.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I also think what hasn't been mentioned much is that previously teams could shutdown our top line by focusing only on Monahan and Gaudreau. It was feasible to leave Ferland open for higher grade scoring chances because he simply wasn't skilled enough to convert these and make teams pay for it. Now, adding Lindholm teams can't just focus on these two guys because Lindholm will make them pay for it. I think that is partly why Lindholm was on such a torrid scoring pace early in the season when he appears more a playmaker as teams were treating him initially similar to Ferland. Now as things have balanced Monahan and Gaudreau have been on fire. Lindholm sure made them pay.

I think going forward, we can expect from Lindholm 20+ goals, 60-70 points. Maybe 30 goals depending on whether the top line stays healthy and how much of a roll Monahan scoring goes. Still a great deal and would make that trade in a heartbeat again. TBH I feel Noah Hanifin was worth Dougie (Noah was always a better fit) and Ferland alone (was never a fan of Ferland, think he still is a 3rd liner), so getting Lindholm was a steal.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Lindholm just oozes hockey IQ. I love how he stuttersteps to trick defenders and escape pressure. He takes so much pressure off Gaudreau who had to do all the puck carrying before, and now having Lindholm offers so much more freedom for them.

Ferland is slowing down too after a hot start.. but it looks like Lindholm won't!

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Lindholm just oozes hockey IQ. I love how he stuttersteps to trick defenders and escape pressure. He takes so much pressure off Gaudreau who had to do all the puck carrying before, and now having Lindholm offers so much more freedom for them.

Ferland is slowing down too after a hot start.. but it looks like Lindholm won't!

I mean the guy has been concussed.....so.....

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I mean the guy has been concussed.....so.....
Like MB said... He's slowing down. :D J/K

Ferland has 15 pts in 24 games or .625 pts/game which is far below Lindholm.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know that Carolina fans say the trade was a win-win, but so far, Calgary has to be firmly ahead in regards to who is benefiting. Hanifin has more points than any Hurricanes defender, and Lindholm has more points than any player on the Carolina Hurricanes (including Aho). Hopefully they can sign Fox and keep Ferland (hope he gets better soon btw :(), because it could look ugly for them in a year if Dougie continues to struggle (who is right now getting a grand total 3 seconds a game extra compared to Hanifin with little to no PK time and less dzone starts).

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I know that Carolina fans say the trade was a win-win, but so far, Calgary has to be firmly ahead in regards to who is benefiting. Hanifin has more points than any Hurricanes defender, and Lindholm has more points than any player on the Carolina Hurricanes (including Aho). Hopefully they can sign Fox and keep Ferland (hope he gets better soon btw :(), because it could look ugly for them in a year if Dougie continues to struggle (who is right now getting a grand total 3 seconds a game extra compared to Hanifin with little to no PK time and less dzone starts).
I honestly think this will go down in history as a trade as bad as Gilmour for Leeman for the Hurricanes.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It could if Ferly goes to free agency and signs with another team next year. And if Fox does not want to go to Raleigh, Carolina would be left with Dougie who I don't think is as good as everyone thinks he is. He's a good D-man and has the potential to be great, I just don't think its in his DNA. In the end he'll be another Bouwmeester.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I honestly think this will go down in history as a trade as bad as Gilmour for Leeman for the Hurricanes.

Way too early to say that. But the flames are 3rd in the west while the hurricanes are on the bubble, and Lindy alone would fetch more than Hamilton and Ferland combined imo. If fox doesn't sign and Ferland either leaves or struggles with concussions, this looks really bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad