Player Discussion Elias Viktor Zebulon Lindholm

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
First off, ignore that thread about the best hockey name. Lindholm wins it hands down.

Here's some information about him, his style of play, and general info.

Still waiting for first-round potential to convert | Canes & Coffee
Elias Lindholm: Prospect Profile for Carolina Hurricanes' 1st-Round Pick
https://thehockeywriters.com/elias-lindholm-the-next-ones-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Hockey's Future - Elias Lindholm
NHL Draft prospects: No. 6 Elias Lindholm - Sportsnet.ca
The Hockey News

Full disclosure, I wanted Lindholm over Monahan
I would be greatly pleased if Calgary leaves the first round with those players. [Lindholm, Fucale, Hagg]

Also this, from the eating crow thread from a while back:
I wanted Lindholm over Monahan as well.

Happily chewing a certain black coloured bird on that one.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
First off, ignore that thread about the best hockey name. Lindholm wins it hands down.

Here's some information about him, his style of play, and general info.

Still waiting for first-round potential to convert | Canes & Coffee
Elias Lindholm: Prospect Profile for Carolina Hurricanes' 1st-Round Pick
https://thehockeywriters.com/elias-lindholm-the-next-ones-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Hockey's Future - Elias Lindholm
NHL Draft prospects: No. 6 Elias Lindholm - Sportsnet.ca
The Hockey News

Full disclosure, I wanted Lindholm over Monahan

Also this, from the eating crow thread from a while back:

Lindholm will score 50 goals next season, you heard it first folks!

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we shore up our wing, he could be a good Backlund replacement in the distant future

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The Flames have a penchant for trading for good names. This one certainly gives Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tij Junior Elvis Iginla a run for its money.

I like Lindholm a lot. The numbers haven't been there but the dude is brimming with potential. I know a lot of people are saying "but he played under Peters in Carolina, how can he reach that potential under the same coach in just a different city?" I think he's really going to benefit from playing with Monahan and Gaudreau. With all due respect to Carolina, do they have any players that are on par with either of those two guys? Possibly Aho, but anyone else? Lindholm is poised to explode, I think. 20G - 40A is not out of reach in his first season in Calgary, just looking at the numbers he put up in Carolina, and it should only go up from there. He'll get top line minutes. He'll get top unit power play time. There's no excuse, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm excited. He's what we've needed for a while. He's a clear upgrade over Ferland and he makes our top six look a lot better. It still needs some work but it looks good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be more negative, it sounds from Carolina fans as though this is a player who is a softer, playmaking version of Ferland. Swings in and out between being noticeable and being invisible. Doesn't show the physicality that he was supposed to feature as a prospect.

I dunno. I think at the end of the day, all these doubts aside, you have to look at the locker-room implications of the swap and consider that maybe that's the biggest factor that can help the Flames this year.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Gaudreau - Monahan - X

* to maximize GMX, aquire Elias Lindholm.

Elias Lindholm aquired. GMX maximized.

Team Sweden:
Landeskog - Bäckström - Nylander
Rakell - Zibanejad - Lindholm
Forsberg - Karlsson - Arvidsson
Steen - Backlund - Silfverberg

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
To be more negative, it sounds from Carolina fans as though this is a player who is a softer, playmaking version of Ferland. Swings in and out between being noticeable and being invisible. Doesn't show the physicality that he was supposed to feature as a prospect.
This is what I've seen too. It also worries me that he goes from Peters to Peters, possibly negating the change in scenery he was supposed to get through this deal
Here's hoping maybe Backlund can mentor him in some way.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Was always a fan of this guy. I remember wanting Lindholm over Monahan in the draft, but now we have both! Hurray!

I have good feelings about this kid, I look at Teravainen's jump in production going from Chicago to the Canes(similar production, age). I think he can break out, especially playing with Gaudreau and Mony. Not to mention his solid defensive game. I've read a lot about how aggressive on the puck he is and how strong he is down low. Can't wait to see him suit up!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I dunno. I think at the end of the day, all these doubts aside, you have to look at the locker-room implications of the swap and consider that maybe that's the biggest factor that can help the Flames this year.
I don't know. Is having an introverted dude in the lockerroom really that bad for the environment? Are hockey players that emotionally fragile?

I'm still going to sit here and hope Lindholm is a clear upgrade on Ferland, and Hanifin takes another step forward this season (which should put him into Hamilton territory). Oh, and that Brodie stops being so confused in the defensive zone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is what I've seen too. It also worries me that he goes from Peters to Peters, possibly negating the change in scenery he was supposed to get through this deal
Here's hoping maybe Backlund can mentor him in some way.

To be perfectly honest, the Peters -> Peters thing is an encouraging factor to me. I know I joked about it at first, but Peters likely had input into the decision, and for the Flames to pay the price they did for these guys knowing what Peters knows about them, I think that says that there is high confidence in their abilities and in how they'll fit into the locker room.

I don't know. Is having an introverted dude in the lockerroom really that bad for the environment? Are hockey players that emotionally fragile?

I'm still going to sit here and hope Lindholm is a clear upgrade on Ferland, and Hanifin takes another step forward this season (which should put him into Hamilton territory). Oh, and that Brodie stops being so confused in the defensive zone.

Just remember, all of the different reports about exactly what the issues were are merely speculation or third-hand reports at this point. The people who actually know about these things, the GM and the players, are not commenting and likely won't comment on it. But taking all of the statements made by Treliving, I think we can safely conclude that there was definitely an issue significant enough to want to trade Dougie; he wouldn't do that for nothing.

And if you had to describe last year's Flames team with one word, would that word not be "fragile?" Mentality and cohesion is a massive factor in sports. It's what lets a team like Vegas make the finals while Calgary is on the outside looking in. It's what allows the Flames to win 7 in a row at one point in the season and not be able to score more than a goal a game for a couple weeks at another point. Getting a more "positive vibe" in the locker room is probably overlooked by a lot of hockey people, but I think it's the single most important job for a manager.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Honestly as exciting as it is to get Lindholm and Hanifin, the most exciting and impactful thing to come out of this deal might be if Brodie can get his career back on track. Brodano was a great pairing, I'm really looking forward to reuniting them and seeing if they can recapture the magic.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He does have some consistency issues, but the down swings aren't as long as Ferland and he isn't completely useless when he is struggling offensively. Also, people point to Lindholm's goal totals for his down swing, the example I have seen used was "1 goal after Feb 6th", but they ignored the fact in those 28 games he still put up assist totals that matched his season pace in points.

Also, I don't know about "softer", he's a different kind of physical. Lindholm will constantly rub guys out, but will never blow someone up with a hit.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah, the guy’s what I would call a “puck hound” on the forecheck and down low. Creates lots of turnovers which will be good for Gaudreau and Monahan to get more o-zone time.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, the guys what I would call a “puck hound” on the forecheck and down low. Creates lots of turnovers which will be good for Gaudreau and Monahan to get more o-zone time.
Another thing is faceoffs, which is very good for 3 reasons.

1. Lindholm will take draws on Monahan's weak side (and vice versa). This will lead to more FO wins and thus more possession.
  2. We will have 2 centermen on the ice, so when one gets thrown out of the circle, we still have a center. This will lead to more FO wins and thus more possession.
  3. Lindholm is a puck hound and will create more "winger wins". This will lead to more FO wins and thus more possession.

In case people didn't notice a trend there, let me reiterate. This will lead to more FO wins and thus more possession.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm not as excited as I with acquiring Lindholm than I am with Hanifin due to having more confidence that Hanifin will be more of a cornerstone for the team. I do know that Lindholm will make a positive impact on the top 6 though.

If he can manage to put up 45-60 points on a regular basis, then we've got ourselves a good player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not as excited as I with acquiring Lindholm than I am with Hanifin due to having more confidence that Hanifin will be more of a cornerstone for the team. I do know that Lindholm will make a positive impact on the top 6 though.

If he can manage to put up 45-60 points on a regular basis, then we've got ourselves a good player.
Lindholm has had 44 and 45 points the last 2 seasons. With playing with better talent, I don't see why he wouldn't improve to 50+

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
With Lindholm and Bennett (mores so) both needing a breakout, one of them has to break out next year, please.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yeah, the guy’s what I would call a “puck hound” on the forecheck and down low. Creates lots of turnovers which will be good for Gaudreau and Monahan to get more o-zone time.

Lindholm is also an insane primary assist generator. This is excellent because it eases our Dman and Gaudreau's passing, allowing them to be more efficient knowing they can count on Lindholm to dish or shoot.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Zebulon? It's a shame we already did a Futurama theme because Lindholm is asking to be Zoidberg.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guy will get a f*** load of points next year. Calling it now.

He’ll be a 60 point player.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jiri Hudler once scored 76pts playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. Mostly because he knew how to shoot. Don't think 60+ is at all an unrealistic expectation for Lindholm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad