Elias Pettersson should be the next Captain of the Vancouver Canucks

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
They generally give it to the best player on the team because there is greater league-wide marketing potential for an all-star caliber captain and it is is a great honour for the player.

Pettersson would not simply be just the best player on his team. He is an all-star with huge potential. Not having a conversation with him about the captaincy would be extremely disrespectful.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They generally give it to the best player on the team because there is greater league-wide marketing potential for an all-star caliber captain and it is is a great honour for the player.

Pettersson would not simply be just the best player on his team. He is an all-star with huge potential. Not having a conversation with him about the captaincy would be extremely disrespectful.
So make him captain because ...marketing?:confused:

Reactions: Seattle Totems

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
It belongs to Horvat. Horvat +EP is our Toews+Kane.

EP doesnt like the media

What an insult to compare Pettersson to Kane in a conversation regarding leadership. Wow. And if Pettersson is Kane, Horvat is a third liner. Pettersson having issues with the media is also total nonsense. The kid is a star that competes harder than anyone on this team. He deserves the spotlight.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
So make him captain because ...marketing?:confused:

Do we need to repeal marijuana legalization? Yes absolutely this is about marketing. Look at every other top level NHL player in history that competes like Pettersson. They are always offered the Captaincy. This is how you market the best players. Can you imagine the Oilers not giving the captaincy to McDavid. The Penguins not giving Crosby the captaincy? Seriously? Every fan that watches the game in Vancouver is talking about Pettersson as the franchise, yet somehow he doesn't isnt in the discussion for captain because Bo fricken Horvat was here first? Im speechless.

Reactions: mathonwy

Annihilator Gator

Dec 29, 2018
Does he deserve it? Sure. I'd just rather not waste his time with the bs. The affect he's had on this team without even having an a or a c is amazing. Don't put extra pressure on him. Let him do his thing. When he wants it. It's there.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Let Bo do all the media obligations while EP40 focuses on lighting the league on fire. Horvat has more experience, english is his native language, and was already considered by many as the next in line. In a tight fought playoff series where the intensity is cranked to another level and the other teams captain is arguing to the ref about whatever, who would you rather have counter, Horvat or EP? Horvat will push back, will speak up, will drop the gloves, will argue passionately and is the best choice for captain. Pettersson is the best player on the Canucks, no doubt about that, however he’s quiet by nature and it would be a disservice to him and the team by naming him captain putting more pressure on him than needed at such a young age.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
if Pettersson is a top 10 C in the league his words will hold more weight when talking to the refs and discussing how the game is being officiated

and like Seattle said, marketing is a factor. Horvat was 100% going to be captain but Pettersson's "sudden" impact changes things ((IMO))

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Let Bo do all the media obligations while EP40 focuses on lighting the league on fire. Horvat also has more experience, english is his native language, and was already considered by many as the next in line. In a tight fought playoff series where the intensity is cranked to another level and the other teams captain is arguing to the ref about whatever, who would you rather have counter, Horvat or EP? Horvat will push back, will speak up, will drop the gloves, will argue passionately and is the best choice for captain. Pettersson is the best player on the Canucks, no doubt about that, however he’s quiet by nature and it would be a disservice to him and the team by naming him captain putting more pressure on him than needed at such a young age.
Agreed..EP is not exactly a 'natural' when it comes to explaining to the media..and can be prickly at times...Just let him play, and do the talking on the ice fer'christ sakes.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
If captaincy would take away from EP´s performance it is not to recommend captaincy. I think it would right now, so it is a now right here and now. With that said, I see him as an obvious captain down the road. If he continues as projected, which can be assumed. Languages is no problem, there are a heap of good Swedish captains in the recent history of NHL, his English will be flawless with a couple of seasons. With that he will of course be more elaborate towards the press too.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It’s Horvat all day all night

Bo has taken the most face offs in the entire league by a big margin while putting up decent offensive numbers. He also has been a horse for this org for the past three seasons. He’s also on a super sweet contract, there’s literally no way he’s not the next captain.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It belongs to Horvat. Horvat +EP is our Toews+Kane.

EP doesnt like the media

I don't think it's that he doesn't like the media, it's that he doesn't suffer fools. When asked dumb questions he'll let the reporter know exactly what he thinks of it.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I don't think it's that he doesn't like the media, it's that he doesn't suffer fools. When asked dumb questions he'll let the reporter know exactly what he thinks of it.
Vancouver reporters ask alot of dumb questions. I find it hilarious but whenever hes gets interviewed, it always seems like this is the last thing he wants to be doing is answering stupid cliche questions

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
What an insult to compare Pettersson to Kane in a conversation regarding leadership. Wow. And if Pettersson is Kane, Horvat is a third liner. Pettersson having issues with the media is also total nonsense. The kid is a star that competes harder than anyone on this team. He deserves the spotlight.
I mean it was just a comparison where the player that does everything is captian over the best player. Were Kanes issues before or after Toews became captian?

Pettersson does not like answering stupid f***ing questions to point where he rolls his eyes and just ignores the question. Vancouver media ask a lot of stupid questions

Competes harder than Horvat? f*** that shit. Hes the best player offensively but Horvat is a horse for this team

Reactions: Catbug

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I mean it was just a comparison where the player that does everything is captian over the best player. Were Kanes issues before or after Toews became captian?

Pettersson does not like answering stupid ****ing questions to point where he rolls his eyes and just ignores the question. Vancouver media ask a lot of stupid questions

Competes harder than Horvat? **** that ****. Hes the best player offensively but Horvat is a horse for this team

Horvat is not an animal
How do you know Pettersson doesn't compete as hard?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I've always maintained that Horvat should be captain when the Sedins retired but this.. just occurred to me, why shouldn't it be Pettersson?

Now that I think about it, this shouldn't even be controversial. In fact it's weird that there's no hype for Pettersson taking on the reigns of Sedin and Naslund, it's like everyone (including me before today) accepted Horvat as the next captain.

Just by his way of conducting interviews, and him drawing up plays as a rookie.. And how bad the team is without him in the lineup. No brainer.

1) Doesn't need the added pressure
2) Has shown a disdain for the press already
3) Is a teenager
4) Horvat
5) Naslund ... would you count that as a success really? (*said while shaking his head back n forth)\
6) The attributes to a capt, for me, aren't skill, but heart, grit, mental toughness, etc. More embodied by Horvat.
7) He can do everything he does, and not be a captain; we don't lose those things

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Horvat is not an animal
How do you know Pettersson doesn't compete as hard?

He does. He competes very hard, but it's not his outstanding attribute. Look at it like this:

Horvat:
Skill: 7
Compete: 9
Other: 7

Petterson:
Skill: 9.5
Other: 8

This is super simplistic, but the idea is Petterson's compete isn't his more stand-out attribute. Doesn't mean it's less than Horvat's.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
You still make Horvat captain in my opinion. Horvat will know as well as everyone else if and when he one day has to hand it over to EP
Besides, EP with an 'A' is better than most team's 'C's
Horvat is just icing on the cake, and perfect for all the off ice obligations that come with the C

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He does. He competes very hard, but it's not his outstanding attribute. Look at it like this:

Horvat:
Skill: 7
Other: 7

Petterson:
Skill: 9.5
Other: 8

This is super simplistic, but the idea is Petterson's compete isn't his more stand-out attribute. Doesn't mean it's less than Horvat's.

so Pettersson should be captain ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad