Elias Pettersson should be the next Captain of the Vancouver Canucks

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I've always maintained that Horvat should be captain when the Sedins retired but this.. just occurred to me, why shouldn't it be Pettersson?

Now that I think about it, this shouldn't even be controversial. In fact it's weird that there's no hype for Pettersson taking on the reigns of Sedin and Naslund, it's like everyone (including me before today) accepted Horvat as the next captain.

Just by his way of conducting interviews, and him drawing up plays as a rookie.. And how bad the team is without him in the lineup. No brainer.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I’d rather let horvat do that and have petey as an A, you can tell the media annoys him, he can still be a leader without wearing the C

I don't think the media annoys him persay. He just has a very confident attitude. And a lot of good captains around the league are like that

We've just been accustomed to the nice demeanour of the Sedins and the Naslunds

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Nope.

It should still be Horvat.

Horvat has the age, the experience, and also has the ability to stick up for teammates. As others have pointed out, English is also Horvat’s native tongue. The last thing you want to do as an organization is hand the captaincy to Pettersson and place more pressure on a 20-21 year old kid while simultaneously hurting the feelings of a guy (Horvat) who most people generally believe will be the next captain.

Horvat should be captain of this team next year with Pettersson, Boeser, and Tanev wearing A’s. Absolute no brainer decision........”ainec.”

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Nah, Horvat makes more sense. Just because EP is the best player doesn't make him the best choice for Captain.

It equivalent to Bure vs Linden in my mind... although Petey has more classic leadership qualities than Bure seemed to show... Bo has repeatedly shown his leadership qualities and earned the position over Elias.

If Bo wasn't here, then sure?

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Horvat has more experience; English is also his native language. Let Bo do all the media obligations while EP40 focuses on lighting the league on fire.

Pettersson's english is fine

Nope.

It should still be Horvat.

Horvat has the age, the experience, and also has the ability to stick up for teammates. The last thing you want to do as an organization is hand the captaincy to Pettersson and place more pressure on a 20-21 year old kid while simultaneously hurting the feelings of a guy (Horvat) who most people generally believe will be the next captain.

Horvat should be captain of this team next year with Pettersson, Boeser, and Tanev wearing A’s. Absolute no brainee decision........”ainec.”

placeholder,

Pettersson will eventually be captain

Nah, Horvat makes more sense. Just because EP is the best player doesn't make him the best choice for Captain.

It equivalent to Bure vs Linden in my mind... although Petey has more classic leadership qualities than Bure seemed to show... Bo has repeatedly shown his leadership qualities and earned the position over Elias.

If Bo wasn't here, then sure?

Bure was also a winger, and Linden the center

also the good Canadian boy = Captain material, but not the European

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
do we even need a captain

Yes. Most teams that are aspiring to be great have one. Our guy needs to be Horvat, bar none. Horvat for the C at the start of next season.....or whenever the Sedin appreciation night takes place and a ceremonial “passing of the torch” can take place.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I've always maintained that Horvat should be captain when the Sedins retired but this.. just occurred to me, why shouldn't it be Pettersson?

Now that I think about it, this shouldn't even be controversial. In fact it's weird that there's no hype for Pettersson taking on the reigns of Sedin and Naslund, it's like everyone (including me before today) accepted Horvat as the next captain.

Just by his way of conducting interviews, and him drawing up plays as a rookie.. And how bad the team is without him in the lineup. No brainer.
I would ..he has all the quality's of a leader already.he hates to lose.he only wants to get better and better.not discounting Bo at all ...but there is something magical about this kid...he is a leader already.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
of all captains in the league only these players were not the best player on their team:

Justin Williams (placeholder for Aho), Gabriel Landeskog (youngest made captain), Foligno (placeholder for Dubois), Lee (idk)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
@Ainec - Horvat ain’t placeholder. He’ll be a Canuck for the rest of his life as he should be. He hits, fights, plays all roles, sticks up for teammates, is outspoken, and has incredible work ethic. He’s everything that you’d ever want in a captain.

Pettersson is a good choice as well, but I think it’s just better for the kid to focus on lighting up the league.

Let him be the Bure to Horvat’s Linden....or the Kane to Horvat’s Toews if you will.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
@Ainec - Horvat ain’t placeholder. He’ll be a Canuck for the rest of his life as he should be. He hits, fights, plays all roles, sticks up for teammates, is outspoken, and has incredible work ethic. He’s everything that you’d ever want in a captain.

Pettersson is a good choice as well, but I think it’s just better for the kid to focus on lighting up the league.

Let him be the Bure to Horvat’s Linden....or the Kane to Horvat’s Toews if you will.

The only thing similar between Pettersson and Bure is that they were are European and the best player on the Canucks

Horvat - Linden, canadian

both of these players would make fine captains and possess that Toews-like intangibles, but it sounds like Horvat got a boost in that department

Using Bure as an example is laughable. Bure's english is nowhere as good

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
of all captains in the league only these players were not the best player on their team:

Justin Williams (placeholder for Aho), Gabriel Landeskog (youngest made captain), Foligno (placeholder for Dubois), Lee (idk)

Chicago = Toews. Kane is best player.
Los Angles = Kopitar. Doughty is the best player.
Detroit = Yzerman. Lidstrom and Federov were best players.
Colorado = Sakic. Forsberg = best player
New Jersey = Stevens. Brodeur + Niedermayer = best players.
Dallas = Derian Hatcher. Modano = best player.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Bure was also a winger, and Linden the center

also the good Canadian boy = Captain material, but not the European

Many Wingers who have been fine captains, many Europeans who have been fine captains as well.

Captaincy is a position that is earned though, it's that simple. Elias could be a fine captain, but he hasn't put in the time yet. Bo has.

You would have to think Bo not being selected as Captain at this point after being groomed for the position so many years would be a huge snub/controversy too? Why risk that?

What does Elias being named Captain actually do? How does it benefit the team?

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Chicago = Toews. Kane is best player.
Los Angles = Kopitar. Doughty is the best player.
Detroit = Yzerman. Lidstrom and Federov were best players.
Colorado = Sakic. Forsberg = best player
New Jersey = Stevens. Brodeur + Niedermayer = best players.
Dallas = Derian Hatcher. Modano = best player.

at the time of Toews captaincy he was regarded as the better player by the media and I'd guess 60/40 majority on this site. It's not until Kane dominated the playoffs and regular seasons that this changed

Kopitar is arguably the best player on the Kings, you are nitpicking with Doughty. There is a wider gap between Horvat and Pettersson

And we're only talking about current captains

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Many Wingers who have been fine captains, many Europeans who have been fine captains as well.

Captaincy is a position that is earned though, it's that simple. Elias could be a fine captain, but he hasn't put in the time yet. Bo has.

You would have to think Bo not being selected as Captain at this point after being groomed for the position so many years would be a huge snub/controversy too? Why risk that?

What does Elias being named Captain actually do? How does it benefit the team?

Landeskog was made captain after his rookie season

Phrase the last question as why do we need a captain? To me the captain is the leader of the team, I think Pettersson is that

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The only thing similar between Pettersson and Bure is that they were are European and the best player on the Canucks

Horvat - Linden, canadian

both of these players would make fine captains and possess that Toews-like intangibles, but it sounds like Horvat got a boost in that department

Using Bure as an example is laughable. Bure's english is nowhere as good

All good points but my question is this: Why create potential for controversy? Why potentially ‘slight’ Horvat when it’s been well known for quite some time that he will likely be the heir apparent.

Why place extra pressure on such a young kid in Pettersson?

Don’t get me wrong - Pettersson wouldnt be a bad choice, but I just think that the Canucks should keep things simple here and go with the obvious choice. Horvat is a natural leader through and through. He plays in all roles as he’s asked, sticks up for teammates, and has the age and experience.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Him being captain is probably the farthest from anybodys mind (including his own)...Besides,Bo Horvat is hands down the best person qualified for the job.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
All good points but my question is this: Why create potential for controversy? Why potentially ‘slight’ Horvat when it’s been well known for quite some time that he will likely be the heir apparent.

Why place extra pressure on such a young kid in Pettersson?

Don’t get me wrong - Pettersson wouldnt be a bad choice, but I just think that the Canucks should keep things simple here and go with the obvious choice. Horvat is a natural leader through and through. He plays in all roles as he’s asked, sticks up for teammates, and has the age and experience.

If Horvat is a natural leader, he shouldn't be slighted at being an Assistant that's counted to be the leader of the room with Pettersson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

there are plenty of others

List of current NHL Captains
TeamCaptainSincePos
Anaheim DucksRyan Getzlaf
Dagger-14-plain.png
2010–11[10]C
Arizona CoyotesOliver Ekman-Larsson
Dagger-14-plain.png
2018–19D
Boston BruinsZdeno Chara2006–07[11]D
Buffalo SabresJack Eichel
Dagger-14-plain.png
2018–19C
Calgary FlamesMark Giordano
Dagger-14-plain.png
2013–14[12]D
Carolina HurricanesJustin Williams2018–19RW
Chicago BlackhawksJonathan Toews
Dagger-14-plain.png
2008–09[13]C
Colorado AvalancheGabriel Landeskog
Dagger-14-plain.png
2012–13[14]LW
Columbus Blue JacketsNick Foligno2015–16[15]LW/C
Dallas StarsJamie Benn
Dagger-14-plain.png
2013–14[16]LW
Detroit Red WingsVacant2018–19
Edmonton OilersConnor McDavid
Dagger-14-plain.png
2016–17[7]C
Florida PanthersAleksander Barkov
Dagger-14-plain.png
2018–19C
Los Angeles KingsAnze Kopitar
Dagger-14-plain.png
2016–17[17]C
Minnesota WildMikko Koivu
Dagger-14-plain.png
2009–10[18]C
Montreal CanadiensShea Weber2018–19[19]D
Nashville PredatorsRoman Josi
Dagger-14-plain.png
2017–18D
New Jersey DevilsAndy Greene
Dagger-14-plain.png
2015–16[20]D
New York IslandersAnders Lee
Dagger-14-plain.png
2018–19LW
New York RangersVacant2017–18
Ottawa SenatorsVacant2018–19
Philadelphia FlyersClaude Giroux
Dagger-14-plain.png
2012–13[21]C
Pittsburgh PenguinsSidney Crosby
Dagger-14-plain.png
2007–08[22]C
St. Louis BluesAlex Pietrangelo
Dagger-14-plain.png
2016–17D
San Jose SharksJoe Pavelski
Dagger-14-plain.png
2015–16[23]C/RW
Tampa Bay LightningSteven Stamkos
Dagger-14-plain.png
2013–14[24]C
Toronto Maple LeafsVacant2015–16
Vancouver CanucksVacant2018–19
Vegas Golden KnightsVacant2017–18
Washington CapitalsAlexander Ovechkin
Dagger-14-plain.png
2009–10[25]LW
Winnipeg JetsBlake Wheeler2016–17RW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
at the time of Toews captaincy he was regarded as the better player by the media and I'd guess 60/40 majority on this site. It's not until Kane dominated the playoffs and regular seasons that this changed

Kopitar is arguably the best player on the Kings, you are nitpicking with Doughty. There is a wider gap between Horvat and Pettersson

And we're only talking about current captains

I’ll do anything to win an argument I guess, haha. ;)

But seriously - just go with the obvious choice here. Don’t potentially create controversy by selecting Pettersson.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

I looked at that list and made my post? Thanks for providing sources

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad