Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Spittin chiclet ripped JD Burke apart in the most recent podcast that features Petey
Kinda have to say he deserves it

Yep, agreed. JD Burke's tweets were a joke - the podcast has thrived in spite of the "institution of hockey", not because the institution let them. That's the precise reason they've been successful and why players are candid with them.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Up to the latest fix for me:

Start of the video; the media: "... You're going to hear alot (from the players) how important playoff experience is. Elias Pettersson has NOT (spoken about that). This is a player who has always risen to whatever has been put in front of him and I kind of think he likes the idea that some people are wondering whether an experience will be an issue..."

That's the difference between him and other skilled players that are young. He had already won a championship in hockey before he joined the Canucks squad. He knows what it takes to win against men. Apart from destroying any record from any young, Swedish player ever evolving from the Swedish league of course - and in the way he did it. A NHL playoff is not an experience for him, it's a challenge he already knows what it takes to win, only against better teams and players. And he had already played for the national team before even joining the Canucks, winning a WHC gold medal, so there's also that. Injured, sure, but still. He had not yet developed the Forsberg/ Jagr ass technique against bigger players, simply because he didn't need to. Now he does and so he has done it.

It's only natural Pettersson would've never spoke about the "experience" to enter a NHL playoff. Merely discussing the challenge, going back to the video in hand.

That's the thing alot of hockey fans miss about him. His mentality is extremely mature for his age. He already knows this is his job, he's not a hockey star. His job is to be a hockey star. There's a big difference in understanding that differential in the long term and for the team. Vancouver are blessed again with another very humble, Swedish superstar. You attract them like magnets. It must be the cold climate and the Canadian resemblences to Swedish culture somewhat. This is a player who doesn't need to throw his ego around, that's for sure. I think Vancouver will be in very good hands with Pettersson as their superstar. He already knows life is a struggle, not a blessing, regardless of money, at his age. And he enjoys that challenge. Very impressive.

And then you can start observing his technique playing hockey. Then you just know. He's the real deal, squared.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And oh, just as a separate statement, I remember some people doubted if he could handle his sophomore season. Well... I think he handled his second season even better than his rookie season. I think we can all agree with that. Why did I mention this? Well, that's a good question? Maybe because I want to brag I said he would top it! But no, that's not it. Let's just enjoy Pettersson play hockey. I think he's smart enough to know how to stay injury free from now on. He knows the Forsberg/ Jagr ass and it works just as well if you're smaller. There's always the bad rolls in the future, but I think he'll make it.

Summary; His first two seasons in the NHL have been very, very impressive so far. I expect things will become more ridiculous from here on now. Why do I write these ridiculous fan messages about Pettersson? Because I keep up with the English language while writing them as a second language - and I enjoy writing about something I see a premonition about, however petty it might be in our case.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Up to the latest fix for me:

Start of the video; the media: "... You're going to hear alot (from the players) how important playoff experience is. Elias Pettersson has NOT (spoken about that). This is a player who has always risen to whatever has been put in front of him and I kind of think he likes the idea that some people are wondering whether an experience will be an issue..."

That's the difference between him and other skilled players that are young. He had already won a championship in hockey before he joined the Canucks squad. He knows what it takes to win against men. Apart from destroying any record from any young, Swedish player ever evolving from the Swedish league of course - and in the way he did it. A NHL playoff is not an experience for him, it's a challenge he already knows what it takes to win, only against better teams and players. And he had already played for the national team before even joining the Canucks, winning a WHC gold medal, so there's also that. Injured, sure, but still. He had not yet developed the Forsberg/ Jagr ass technique against bigger players, simply because he didn't need to. Now he does and so he has done it.

It's only natural Pettersson would've never spoke about the "experience" to enter a NHL playoff. Merely discussing the challenge, going back to the video in hand.

That's the thing alot of hockey fans miss about him. His mentality is extremely mature for his age. He already knows this is his job, he's not a hockey star. His job is to be a hockey star. There's a big difference in understanding that differential in the long term and for the team. Vancouver are blessed again with another very humble, Swedish superstar. You attract them like magnets. It must be the cold climate and the Canadian resemblences to Swedish culture somewhat. This is a player who doesn't need to throw his ego around, that's for sure. I think Vancouver will be in very good hands with Pettersson as their superstar. He already knows life is a struggle, not a blessing, regardless of money, at his age. And he enjoys that challenge. Very impressive.

And then you can start observing his technique playing hockey. Then you just know. He's the real deal, squared.

Just a joy to watch. Between him and Hughes we have a brilliant core. And decent back up in boeser, Bo, Schmidt, Miller and Demko. If Virtanen plays decently, and either Juolevi or Rathbone turn out to be the real deal, and Podkolzin comes in for the playoffs, we could be very tough to play against.

Reactions: nowhereman

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Even with the Sedins, we had to sweat if they can hack it in a rough league, Naslund took his time before he took the ball and ran with it. With Pettersson, every canuck fan already know what we have even before he suited up, and all he did was exceed our expectations from his 10 in 10, to his 18 in 17. I've never before been so content knowing we have a superstar from the get go, he has the skills and the right attitude to improve himself, a perfect player in the McD mold (not saying he is as prolific as McD).

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
I am hoping, unrealistically, that this kid will give the Canucks a break. Is hoping for 8 years at $7.75 fair? with the stipulation that no one can be signed as a UFA without his blessing, to stop the ridiculous bleeding of money by dimjim.

10 comparables and benchmarks to help determine what Elias Pettersson’s next contract will look like

That article is really off the mark. The examples they gave signed their contracts in totally different circumstances both in terms of them being a lot better/worse than Pettersson and their contracts were all pre-COVID.

Mathew Barzal will set the benchmark for Pettersson's next contract IMO. He's the closest comparable in terms of on-ice impact, production, age, and circumstances (COVID) at the time of contract negotiations.

I'm hoping for 8 years but could live with 7. I'm really hoping for an AAV number between 7 and 8 million but I could be dreaming here, Pettersson could go on a tear next season and demand a lot more.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I am hoping, unrealistically, that this kid will give the Canucks a break. Is hoping for 8 years at $7.75 fair? with the stipulation that no one can be signed as a UFA without his blessing, to stop the ridiculous bleeding of money by dimjim.

10 comparables and benchmarks to help determine what Elias Pettersson’s next contract will look like
No. Not realistic at all. That’s at least $30m left on the table. At least.

You might get 2 years at that AAV. If he’s signing 8 years away why would he take nearly less than his peers get over time.

Aho got $8.5m x 5. I’d say that’s the bare minimum.

I think the idea that you need to correct your spending problems on your best players who are worth the most money frankly ridiculous and a sad state of the mentality that Jim Benning has bestowed on Canucks fans.

31 year old Loui Eriksson got $36m for 6 years in a $73m cap world and guy want the best player on the team currently to commit his entire prime for fractions of percentage points more on the cap than Loui signed for.

I think it’s time to get real. One must also remember that this player can revive offer sheets like Aho did. I think it’s unrealistic to expect under $10m per year.

That article used archaic comparables. Failed to mention Aho who’s as close to Pettersson’s impact and recent (signed last summer). Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares? Is it 2012?

Remember Aho was offersheeeted. Pettersson imo has considerably more appeal. Tons of teams have cap and have hoarded picks in recent seasons. I haven’t come across a player I’d be more willing give up 4 1st’s for than Elias. The Canucks don’t have a lot of leverage imo. They’d be smart to give him a blank cheque for him to sign before it ever gets to the offseason.

Last edited:

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
31 year old Loui Eriksson got $36m for 6 years in a $73m cap world and guy want the best player on the team currently to commit his entire prime for fractions of percentage points more on the cap than Loui signed for.

It's more apt to compare Loui Eriksson's 3rd contract (RFA) when he was almost a point per game player to Pettersson's situation now. If Pettersson was unrestricted he would get close to max dollars and term but he's not and it makes a huge difference. Can't compare UFA to RFA.

Eriksson was a 70+ point guy who was good defensively and he signed for $4.25m x 6 years or 7.5% of the cap at the time. In today's cap that would equal $6.2 million dollars over 6 years which is basically the Mackinnon contract.

With Pettersson's contract, we will get to find out how committed he really is to winning, whether he's willing to do what the Sedins, Kesler, and Luongo did by taking less and convincing others like Burrows to do the same. Imagine what we could do with Pettersson and Hughes at a reasonable cap hit? If Benning decides we already spent enough on character veterans and decides to maximize the cap efficiency with skill we could ice a roster as deep as Tampa.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No. Not realistic at all. That’s at least $30m left on the table. At least.

You might get 2 years at that AAV. If he’s signing 8 years away why would he take nearly less than his peers get over time.

Aho got $8.5m x 5. I’d say that’s the bare minimum.

I think the idea that you need to correct your spending problems on your best players who are worth the most money frankly ridiculous and a sad state of the mentality that Jim Benning has bestowed on Canucks fans.

I think it’s time to get real. One must also remember that this player can revive offer sheets like Aho did. I think it’s unrealistic to expect under $10m per year.

That article used archaic comparables. Failed to mention Aho who’s as close to Pettersson’s impact and recent (signed last summer). Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares? Is it 2012?

Remember Aho was offersheeeted. Pettersson imo has considerably more appeal. Tons of teams have cap and have hoarded picks in recent seasons. I haven’t come across a player I’d be more willing give up 4 1st’s for than Elias. The Canucks don’t have a lot of leverage imo. They’d be smart to give him a blank cheque for him to sign before it ever gets to the offseason.
Petey will sign a three year bridge contract. He will get 8 to 8.5/yr.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He's getting the Point bridge contract IMO. Slight higher so 7X3.

Hughes is getting a bit more than Mcavoy/Werenski at 5.5X3

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's getting the Point bridge contract IMO. Slight higher so 7X3.

Hughes is getting a bit more than Mcavoy/Werenski at 5.5X3
Hughes’ will have double the points Mcavoy had. I think you’re getting in the $7’s for him on a bridge. Makar and Heiskanen will also be signing.

Chabot is also a comparable.

Pettersson isn’t signing contender contracts. He’s signing a premier player contract. I would be absolutely surprised if his agent took a “we’ll pay you after we win” contract.

Matthew Tkachuk money for Petey is ridiculous imo.

Aho is clearly the low end comparable with Matthews at the top.

luckylarry’s guess is probably closer.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Other than the COVID and other uncertainties, I fail to see why we would wish to sign Petterson or Hughes to bridge contracts. Why should we be pinning our hopes on 2023 and 2023 only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad