Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I think it should be a two horse race between ep40 and Rasmussen dahlin

Dahlin played 82 games - put up 44 points and played over 21 mins a game as an 18 year old defensemen.

I don’t think you could pick wrong between these two.

Bennington should get the third nominee based on his stats
Dahlin was not even the best rookie defenseman. Heiskanen was better.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Don cherry says that it is guaranteed that binnington wins calder.

does he have any insight how people voted?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Circumstances are what they are in the weak lineup of Vancouver, but I think Pettersson would produce much more points on the right wing. He's really good defensively, but he shouldn't have the responsibility of a center and he shouldn't give practice time on his faceoffs, when he can practice other things.

If he could get that extra jump more often on the defense on the rush, he would score 10 more goals a season, no question about it. He basically had no shots on the rush in the second half of the season and he's deadly on those. If I was the coach of Vancouver, I would do the Colorado deluxe and put Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson on the same line. I actually think centering Pettersson is a mistake, but I can understand he tried to give some depth to the team. The problem is the actual depth is garbage.

Bring back Pettersson to his original right wing position, bolster the first line into a legit first line and hope Markström and the rest of the trash can hold the fort. If Elias plays for Sweden this world championships, I hope they put him on his natural wing and not in the center position as he's announced.

I would say playing Pettersson at center has been a failure. Increased injury chance, more physical work for his Gaudreau body and no, it's just not the best position for Pettersson. Maybe for Vancouver according to this coach, but not for Pettersson. It's very rare such small players play center for a reason. It's not the skill level, it's the physical toll.

Give him back his right wing office in all situations and he'll score a ton more goals. His passing is mostly feeding to the crows. That's my assessment.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHB

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Circumstances are what they are in the weak lineup of Vancouver, but I think Pettersson would produce much more points on the right wing. He's really good defensively, but he shouldn't have the responsibility of a center and he shouldn't give practice time on his faceoffs, when he can practice other things.

If he could get that extra jump more often on the defense on the rush, he would score 10 more goals a season, no question about it. He basically had no shots on the rush in the second half of the season and he's deadly on those. If I was the coach of Vancouver, I would do the Colorado deluxe and put Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson on the same line. I actually think centering Pettersson is a mistake, but I can understand he tried to give some depth to the team. The problem is the actual depth is garbage.

Bring back Pettersson to his original right wing position, bolster the first line into a legit first line and hope Markström and the rest of the trash can hold the fort. If Elias plays for Sweden this world championships, I hope they put him on his natural wing and not in the center position as he's announced.

I would say playing Pettersson at center has been a failure. Increased injury chance, more physical work for his Gaudreau body and no, it's just not the best position for Pettersson. Maybe for Vancouver according to this coach, but not for Pettersson. It's very rare such small players play center for a reason. It's not the skill level, it's the physical toll.

Give him back his right wing office in all situations and he'll score a ton more goals. His passing is mostly feeding to the crows. That's my assessment.
So....let’s make our franchise center a winger? Not sure I agree

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's a silly suggestion.

I'd rather have him as our #1C instead of our #1RW with 10 extra points(which I doubt, but just for the sake of his argument let's go with this)

That would be like the Sharks moving Burns from defense to winger full time, he'd produce more offense but he's way more valuable eating up big minutes effectively at a premium position.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

Interesting take. Completely disagree with it but interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Interesting take. Completely disagree with it but interesting nonetheless.
I'm not so sure either. After seeing Gaudreau be so easily squeezed in the playoffs, perhaps it actually is better for Pettersson to play at center. He will have the puck more in this position and he's really the guy that should have the puck the most, at the end of the line. Pettersson is defensively involved, Gaudreau is not.
It's a silly suggestion.

I'd rather have him as our #1C instead of our #1RW with 10 extra points(which I doubt, but just for the sake of his argument let's go with this)

That would be like the Sharks moving Burns from defense to winger full time, he'd produce more offense but he's way more valuable eating up big minutes effectively at a premium position.
While I understand your argument, I don't agree with the preposition. Switching from D to winger is not the same thing as switching from winger to center, or vice versa. But I agree it might be an error to switch him back to winger again. If he has the qualities a center requires, he should play center, because he'll have the puck more and be more involved in the game. I'm inclined to accept his practice time on face offs might be worth it.

I refrain from my own argument, ok? ;) On another note, I'm stoked to see Pettersson in this year's world championship. The Swedish lineup is thin this year, because of many injuries and contract situations. Pettersson has a key role to play and I think this will be a good challenge for him in his career, to grow as a player. He will face really good teams, but he will also play hockey in "the Swedish way" that suits him (mobility, puck movement). It will also be on big ice, which should only help him get more room for his shot.

Markström joining the squad, competing with Lundqvist for the #1 role (I'm a huge Lundqvist fan, but at this point of their careers I must say Markström should deserve it) is also interesting. Sadly Edler couldn't join.

What Loui Eriksson will do on the national team will be interesting. Is he done in his career, is he just stuck in a role that doesn't suit him (despite of his bloated contract), or what? If he can play in his classic role as a crease roamer with good teammates, what will happen? I'm also sad Edler couldn't join. He will be missed, because you know what you get with this guy.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Hey guys, just wanted to take this opportunity to apologize sincerely for what I did. I truly hope you all understand my motives and can relate to my intentions. I really hope the best going forwards. I acknowledge that my crime is unforgivable but here it goes, I sort of acquired EP in my NHL 2019 Be A GM Mode and sent you guys Tyson Jost in exchange. Sorry boys, I really do hope the best going forwards!

Reactions: E40

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys, just wanted to take this opportunity to apologize sincerely for what I did. I truly hope you all understand my motives and can relate to my intentions. I really hope the best going forwards. I acknowledge that my crime is unforgivable but here it goes, I sort of acquired EP in my NHL 2019 Be A GM Mode and sent you guys Tyson Jost in exchange. Sorry boys, I really do hope the best going forwards!

Unforgivable. We're sicking Gritty on you.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Binnington shouldn't be there with that sample size and age in my opinion.
it should be some sort of cut off at 23-24.

2/3 of the Vezina noms played under 50 games. I find it weird how the award voters used to swear by goalies needing to meet a certain threshold of games played to be nominated for an award and yet this year they just decided it no longer matters.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
2/3 of the Vezina noms played under 50 games. I find it weird how the award voters used to swear by goalies needing to meet a certain threshold of games played to be nominated for an award and yet this year they just decided it no longer matters.
Will binnington snub pettersson?

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Since Binnington played 32 games, which is probably half the average of a teams #1 goalie. Then his stats should only be compared against Pettersson's and Dahlin's first 41 games. If Bennington played another 32 games his stats probably drop significantly like Petterson's as players adjust and become more aware of Binnington's weaknesses.

Pettersson
41gp 23g 23a 46p +14

Dahlin
41gp 4g 16a 20p +2

Binnington
1.89 gaa .927sp

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Binnington didn’t even play half the season, I can see him winning it as this is what happens to Van. Pettersson should win this.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I think age or how many years ago you were drafted should come into play. What Pettersson, Heiskanen, and Dahlin accomplished at age 18/19 is more impressive then having a good rookie year at 25 IMO.

Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Who cares if Andrew Binnington... I mean Jordan Raycroft.. I mean Jordan Binnington wins the Calder? It’s a mean nothing award. The real award is having Petey on our team. Ask yourself, you would trade Petey for Binnington in a 1 for 1 trade?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Who cares if Andrew Binnington... I mean Jordan Raycroft.. I mean Jordan Binnington wins the Calder? It’s a mean nothing award. The real award is having Petey on our team. Ask yourself, you would trade Petey for Binnington in a 1 for 1 trade?

I get what your saying (oddly enough), but Raycroft played almost 20 more games. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Binnington win, the league gives zero effs about this franchise.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Binnington was behind one of the most remarkable turnarounds in NHL history and I wouldn't REALLY be upset if he won it. It's not like it really matters who wins this award anyways

One could argue that all he had to was not be Jake Allen to get the Blues in the right direction though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad