Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
When Elias doesn't record a point the team is 1-12-2

When he does record a point the team is 19-8-3.

If a team shuts down Pettersson it's basically a guaranteed 2 point for them much like if you shutdown McDavid in Edmonton. You could probably make a case for finishing Top 3 in MVP voting if he somehow drags this team to the playoffs.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
OK let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

EP40 is great, but who the hell can say with 100% confidence that he's gonna be better than McD in 3 years...???

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Hot take prediction..

Pettersson will average above 20% in shooting accuracy for his career.

I don't care if the stats say his shooting percentage isn't sustainable.. he's just in a different league than everyone when it comes to his skill set.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Dahlin is 19 points back which is a lot. But let’s for arguments sake say he closes the gap a bit and finishes 10 points behind EP40 and he’s a defenseman.

EP40 - 70 points
RD - 60 points as a defensman.

Who wins the Calder?

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Dahlin is 19 points back which is a lot. But let’s for arguments sake say he closes the gap a bit and finishes 10 points behind EP40 and he’s a defenseman.

EP40 - 70 points
RD - 60 points as a defensman.

Who wins the Calder?
Wait... What if an undrafted free-agent signs with the Ducks and scores 50 down the stretch and takes the Ducks to the playoffs? Would he win the Calder? Edit: I forgot to mention that this player is a GOALIE!!! OMG Does that stir your jimmies or what?

Reactions: bh53

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'd say atm Carter Hart has a better shot at the Calder than Dahlin does. If either of them wins it over Pettersson though I wouldn't even be mad because it means they must have done something unreal down the stretch.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I believe @Melvin posted the stats on how much McDavid carries the Oilers. Just an unbelievable amount, with virtually no help outside of Draisaitl.

McDavid is and will always be better.

Reactions: TruKnyte

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Well Paul Kariya just said Elias reminds him of Gretzky and he has no ceiling. Just saying anything is possible but regardless we've got ourselves a gem !

Even if there's no ceiling on Pettersson, McDavid is still flying somewhere above the house. There's no comparison to be had between the two.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Even if there's no ceiling on Pettersson, McDavid is still flying somewhere above the house. There's no comparison to be had between the two.
Time will tell and no I don't think Elias is there yet. McDavid is great but he's not Gretzky or Mario great. He's not that far ahead of a few players in league already. Though I agree McDavid is the best right now.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
EP was the King of RocknRoll. EP will be the New King f the NHL, sorry Henry. He will win the Calder and Lady by going this year.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Here’s the interview from tonight with Kariya. His comments on Pettersson are right at the start. He says Pete reminds him of Gretzky and that he himself wishes he had a shot like Pettersson’s.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't like giving it a hard no like everyone else seems to. A "soft no" is fine. I doubt Pettersson will be as good as McDavid, but to just write him off now as a player who will never be on McDavid's level seems a little premature. He's already blown right through a number of expectations and ceilings and it seems foolish to say "but this time."

He has no ceiling. It is extremely unlikely he gets to a McDavid level, but it's not impossible either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad