Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VIII: Is actually an eight-brained octopoid monster from Planet Ånge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
How do you ensure someone is 110% recovered? If he says he is 110% should we keep sitting him?

I wouldn’t put much stock into what he says (unless he’s complaining about something that has gone undetected in the medical tests) because players have a bias towards getting back to playing as soon as possible.

Once he’s medically cleared, I’d spend the next week putting him through a number of practices: no-contact, semi-contact and full contact, and then a few intensive workouts, raising in intensity each day.

Then I’d put him back on his regular training regimen for a week before bringing him back.

Rest and time are the two biggest factors in recovering from a concussion. There’s no substitute for time off.

So in my timetable, once he was medically cleared to play (which just means passing the baseline tests for contact sport) it would take two weeks of linear progression in his training and practices with no setbacks for me to consider him 110%.

This would be the optimal timeline, where we would be able to feel very comfortable that he wasn’t going to suffer the relapse of a second concussion in short succession.

Elias only stands to benefit here, as the biggest weaknesses to his game is any potential health issues and training/size issues. He’s already very good at the game, trading a few games for a few weeks of training not only wouldn’t hurt him, but could benefit him and also serves the purpose of protecting further against a second concussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Don’t play him again until the Canucks are about to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

In 2020

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I wouldn’t put much stock into what he says (unless he’s complaining about something that has gone undetected in the medical tests) because players have a bias towards getting back to playing as soon as possible.

Once he’s medically cleared, I’d spend the next week putting him through a number of practices: no-contact, semi-contact and full contact, and then a few intensive workouts, raising in intensity each day.

Then I’d put him back on his regular training regimen for a week before bringing him back.

Rest and time are the two biggest factors in recovering from a concussion. There’s no substitute for time off.

So in my timetable, once he was medically cleared to play (which just means passing the baseline tests for contact sport) it would take two weeks of linear progression in his training and practices with no setbacks for me to consider him 110%.

This would be the optimal timeline, where we would be able to feel very comfortable that he wasn’t going to suffer the relapse of a second concussion in short succession.

Elias only stands to benefit here, as the biggest weaknesses to his game is any potential health issues and training/size issues. He’s already very good at the game, trading a few games for a few weeks of training not only wouldn’t hurt him, but could benefit him and also serves the purpose of protecting further against a second concussion.
You know what benefits him even more than training in the gym for few weeks?
Playing games in nhl when cleared to play...

Reactions: HankNDank

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You know what benefits him even more than training in the gym for few weeks?
Playing games in nhl when cleared to play...
Pettersson is a very competitive and intense player. I don’t think he would be pleased if he cleared concussion protocol and was cleared by doctors and then told he would sit a few extra weeks. Just because it might be safer. He would be pissed. He wants to play hockey. The kid is a hockey player and not a fabergè egg.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Looks like the team is taking every pre caution and taking their time with the future franchise player. Good to see, I suppose theres no need to rush him and looks like when he does come back, it probably could have been a few games earlier but no need to rush

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Looks like the team is taking every pre caution and taking their time with the future franchise player. Good to see, I suppose theres no need to rush him and looks like when he does come back, it probably could have been a few games earlier but no need to rush

Let's hope so.

19 year old rookie has played 4.5 of our 9 games and still leads in scoring.

Reactions: geebaan

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Let's hope so.

19 year old rookie has played 4.5 of our 9 games and still leads in scoring.

Better than last year when Dorsett remained way too near the team lead in goals/points for far too long after he retired.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

If he’s still in the concussion protocol, then they’re not “taking every precaution,” it means he hasn’t been cleared to play, and they’re following the rules.

Reactions: mossey3535

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
When a player is in concussion protocal, is he seen only by doctors on the teams payroll? Does the NHLPA have their own doctors to examine injured players? Although I might be in the wrong, if I was Petterssson's parents I would probably be overprotective and get a second and maybe even third opinion from other doctors.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
people act like a nhl player never got a concussion before. EP will be fine. It is when you get 3-4 concussions you should be worried.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
When a player is in concussion protocal, is he seen only by doctors on the teams payroll? Does the NHLPA have their own doctors to examine injured players? Although I might be in the wrong, if I was Petterssson's parents I would probably be overprotective and get a second and maybe even third opinion from other doctors.
Lol. Sorry I just imagined myself getting a concussion and having my parents send a second or third doctor to examine me just because. I'M AN ADULT NOW, MOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad