Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The way Green used Sutter last season makes me highly doubtful his role changes much if any.

Pettersson will get the same treatment as the Sedins

I actually think that Virtanen might be good guy to play wing with Elias in that he can cover defensively much like he did with the twins.

They acquired Beagle to free up Sutter for a "more offensive role."

It's a pretty safe bet Sutter will get a more offensive role as a result, no?

He only had 7 games to get accustomed to center. Didn't he score something like 3 points in his first 7 SHL games on the wing? He jjust needs some time to adjust. Put Eriksson and Baerstchi on his flanks, give him soft deployment, and most importantly be patient. He'll be fine.

I'm picturing:
Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser (Primary scoring)
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen (Matchup with top lines)
Eriksson-Pettersson-Baertschi (Secondary scoring, give favourable zone starts and matchups)
Granlund-Beagle-Gagner (lol)

I kinda like this if Goldobin and Gaudette were in there somewhere.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They acquired Beagle to free up Sutter for a "more offensive role."

It's a pretty safe bet Sutter will get a more offensive role as a result, no?.

i think the quote was if Green wanted to use him that way.

Pettersson Baertschi Eriksson..........Virtanen Boeser Gagner Dahlen
Horvat Leipsic Boeser......................Baertschi Virtanen Goldobin
Sutter Roussel Virtanen....................Granlund Eriksson Gaudette
Beagle Schaller Gagner.....................Granlund Gaudette Gunce

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Crazy hot in Sweden right now... for being Sweden. Forrestfires all over the place.

I hope they get to play together at some time.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
because he admitted it? (in swedish)

Anyway Canucks stance is that Pettersson starts with canucks this season. Nothing you can do about it.

I agree that for some the AHL could do more harm than good, so long as the assignment is based on the team's decision.

Personally, I think they should move drafting age up by one year and have a minimum one year tour of duty in the AHL for EVERY player entering the NHL,

This would help the development league exponentially, giving those markets a year of

Mc David ect. would be a huge boost to their business and help EVERYONE polish their game. Drafted at 19, AHL at 20, NHL at 21,

Under that system having to play in the AHL for a year doesn't affect anyone confidence or strain the relationship with the team, and everyone enters the NHL more mature, hockey-wise and personally.

Reactions: Chaflie

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I agree that for some the AHL could do more harm than good, so long as the assignment is based on the team's decision.

Personally, I think they should move drafting age up by one year and have a minimum one year tour of duty in the AHL for EVERY player entering the NHL,

This would help the development league exponentially, giving those markets a year of

Mc David ect. would be a huge boost to their business and help EVERYONE polish their game. Drafted at 19, AHL at 20, NHL at 21,

Under that system having to play in the AHL for a year doesn't affect anyone confidence or strain the relationship with the team, and everyone enters the NHL more mature, hockey-wise and personally.

What would that do to Swedish and Finnish prospects / leagues?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Well that's interesting...

I'm even more sure he'll never see center now, those are winger goals for sure, but wow! with him and Brock the team should have two legit scoring wingers going forward.

What i like most about him is his training moral (dont know if its called that in english, just directtranslated it , dont know if directtranslate is a word either).

He said he is always worried he traines to little to be as good as he can be. So therefore he arrives first and goes last from the training.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Our first line will be Pettersson Horvat Boeser by the end of December. Hopefully sooner

That would probably be smart,

It doesn't matter if we overload one line to the exclusion of all others, the important thing is to getbPettersson up and running, scoring at will and confident, it should also push Horvat into a straight playmaker mode and make a real #1 center out of him.

Covering Brock only would no longer be an option.

I say get Jett Woo out there with them as well, in case anyone needs a fist down their throat, I think Woo was an excellent pick and have a really good feeling about him, that kid can't not make it, he's too perfect.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
What would that do to Swedish and Finnish prospects / leagues?

Uhh, help them?

I said move the draft age up to 19, that would have meant Elias would be entering him AHL service this year, No?

If not, then I say have an import rule too.

Import players need one year in the top league at home, then one year of the AHL, that would give them time to physically mature before they come over and learn the smaller ice, which can sometimes be an issue.

Plus it supports ALL the development leagues, which I think is important, I think NHL players should have to do a year in all of them, no skipping any steps. North American players can do Jr. or NCAA, or USNDP then AHL than NHL at 21 (legal adult age, what a concept, physically grown up and legally before you start handing out boatloads of money)

For imports, their National Jr. league, then their Sr. Leauge then AHL than NHL at 22.

This makes HOCKEY stronger all over in my opinion and will lead to fewer draft busts, and hopefully less shattered lives for the poor kids who are supposed to make it but don't

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
What i like most about him is his training moral (dont know if its called that in english, just directtranslated it , dont know if directtranslate is a word either).

He said he is always worried he traines to little to be as good as he can be. So therefore he arrives first and goes last from the training.

"Work ethic" is the term, so the translation works, as "Training moral" could be used in its place.

That's really good to hear. No matter how talented prospects are it always seems to be the one who are addicted to training and love to get better that are the really successful ones.

I don't think there's much doubt that Elias will establish himself as a top player in the same way that Brock did last year.

Another reason I like the idea of a Pettersson/Horvat/Boesser line.

Get him scoring right away, leave no doubt in his own mind how good he is.

Unfortunately, our coach Travis Green seems to have a habit of trying to sabotage prospects and turn them all into checkers (I think it's because he was supposed to be a top offensive player but failed and was turned into a checker himself, whether he sees it or not, I think he's acting on subconscious jealousy.)

I think Green is Elias's #1 enemy, he will have to give Green no choice but to treat him as a top guy.

I think Virtanen could have scored 20 last year but Green has him second-guessing his
every move, Both Pettersson, AND Virtanen would be smart to not listen to the coach and go balls to the walls this year.

That's another line combo that could be interesting: Virtanen/??/Pettersson, might be horrible or it just might be crazy enough to work.

I am very suspicious that Petterson will be put at center and hounded non-stop about how he isn't handling the "3rd defenseman" duties that a center has, I.E Greem will put him in a position to fail
and have a built-in excuse "Hey, we need another center" even though Elias has CLEARLY shown that he is 100% winger.

Beware, coach Green Elias, he's the guy who has been asking for all these veteran F.A's he doesn't like rookie scorers.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
"Work ethic" is the term, so the translation works, as "Training moral" could be used in its place.

That's really good to hear. No matter how talented prospects are it always seems to be the one who are addicted to training and love to get better that are the really successful ones.

I don't think there's much doubt that Elias will establish himself as a top player in the same way that Brock did last year.

Another reason I like the idea of a Pettersson/Horvat/Boesser line.

Get him scoring right away, leave no doubt in his own mind how good he is.

Unfortunately, our coach Travis Green seems to have a habit of trying to sabotage prospects and turn them all into checkers (I think it's because he was supposed to be a top offensive player but failed and was turned into a checker himself, whether he sees it or not, I think he's acting on subconscious jealousy.)

I think Green is Elias's #1 enemy, he will have to give Green no choice but to treat him as a top guy.

I think Virtanen could have scored 20 last year but Green has him second-guessing his
every move, Both Pettersson, AND Virtanen would be smart to not listen to the coach and go balls to the walls this year.

That's another line combo that could be interesting: Virtanen/??/Pettersson, might be horrible or it just might be crazy enough to work.

I am very suspicious that Petterson will be put at center and hounded non-stop about how he isn't handling the "3rd defenseman" duties that a center has, I.E Greem will put him in a position to fail
and have a built-in excuse "Hey, we need another center" even though Elias has CLEARLY shown that he is 100% winger.

Beware, coach Green Elias, he's the guy who has been asking for all these veteran F.A's he doesn't like rookie scorers.
Yeah work ethic. Sometimes i dont have the work ethic to search on how you spell stuff, so i just translate on the go. Sometimes it works but mostly not.

Its realy sad when when coaches hinder players development. So stupid and contraproductive. Dont they want there team to be the best it can be?

And this checking crazyness , let the players exel in there own playing style.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Uhh, help them?

I said move the draft age up to 19, that would have meant Elias would be entering him AHL service this year, No?

If not, then I say have an import rule too.

Import players need one year in the top league at home, then one year of the AHL, that would give them time to physically mature before they come over and learn the smaller ice, which can sometimes be an issue.

Plus it supports ALL the development leagues, which I think is important, I think NHL players should have to do a year in all of them, no skipping any steps. North American players can do Jr. or NCAA, or USNDP then AHL than NHL at 21 (legal adult age, what a concept, physically grown up and legally before you start handing out boatloads of money)

For imports, their National Jr. league, then their Sr. Leauge then AHL than NHL at 22.

This makes HOCKEY stronger all over in my opinion and will lead to fewer draft busts, and hopefully less shattered lives for the poor kids who are supposed to make it but don't
Legal adult age in UK is 18, does that mean that should a player ever be selected from here that they can bypass your system? After all, they will be an adult here.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I dont think Pettersson is a shoe in to make the big club to start the year.

Would not be surprised if he starts in the AHL to get accustomed to smaller ice and to rekindle chemistry with Dahlen.

Utica might be a more fun team to watch next year over the canucks.

Pettersson
Dahlen
Gadjovich
Lind
Gaudette
Juolevi
Hughes?
Demko
get this nonsense outta here

guy is like the 4th best player on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.