Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
It wouldn't really be "gifting" him a spot if he is clearly the best option available. Pettersson is likely the 3rd best forward on the roster already.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I think some of you here need to just look at this in a business scenario. Canuck will get more fans attending if Petterson stays with the big club. He will be given a spot in the NHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think some of you here need to just look at this in a business scenario. Canuck will get more fans attending if Petterson stays with the big club. He will be given a spot in the NHL.

we will not give him a spot, he will earn it, which he will do on his own. dude's an alien.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson is virtually a lock for the Canucks on opening night. With the departure of Henrik, Daniel and Vanek, the Canucks are short a 100 scoring points or so. Who else is going to pick up the slack? Gagner? Eriksson?

Canucks are so desperate for scoring up front it wouldn't surprise me that even a kid like Dahlen, if he shows any life in training camp might be kept around.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Pettersson is virtually a lock for the Canucks on opening night. With the departure of Henrik, Daniel and Vanek, the Canucks are short a 100 scoring points or so. Who else is going to pick up the slack? Gagner? Eriksson?

Canucks are so desperate for scoring up front it wouldn't surprise me that even a kid like Dahlen, if he shows any life in training camp might be kept around.

Relax we got the likes of Gagner, Sutter, Biegal and Roussel to offset the departure of Vanek and the Sedins.

Oh man... I think that Tank will be roaring again come December. If our rookies don't score at an amazing pace then I see us having a more horrid year than 2017/2018. The first 1 or 2 years being a bottom team was a new experience... now reaching to our fifth year... it's actually quite depressing :(.

Reactions: coastal_nuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lots of players never play a single game in the AHL without being “gifted” anything. AHL is a development league. If Pettersson doesn’t need it, he shouldn’t go.
Finally you make a good point :nod:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Something kinda cool, heard an interview with Leafs former Captain, Mats Sundin. He was asked to pick two wingers to flank him in the game today. His choices were Ovechkin and Pettersson, who he has seen a lot of this year.

Ovechkin - Sundin - Pettersson

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I can't remember who wrote it, but there was a link that appeared in my feed on Chrome where someone made estimates for Canucks goals. I believe Boeser and Horvat were 35 and 30 respectively, which would be great. Pettersson would have 42 according this guy. Leading the team.

Bold prediction.

But there is a lot of hype surrounding Pettersson from a lot of sources.

I am looking forward to seeing him play as part of our team.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I can't remember who wrote it, but there was a link that appeared in my feed on Chrome where someone made estimates for Canucks goals. I believe Boeser and Horvat were 35 and 30 respectively, which would be great. Pettersson would have 42 according this guy. Leading the team.

Bold prediction.

But there is a lot of hype surrounding Pettersson from a lot of sources.

I am looking forward to seeing him play as part of our team.
2019-20 season:

Dahlen Horvat Boeser
Pettersson Gaudette Lind

:yo:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Jason Botchford with some tidbits/musings about Pettersson playing centre:

Jason Botchford: Canucks should make Pettersson centre of attention

Pettersson played just seven games at centre last year, but he wants to be a centre. The Canucks want him to be a centre. So why wait?
If there are going to be growing pains as Pettersson adjusts to the position in the NHL, the earlier he can get through them the better. Why put it off?
The Canucks are much more eager to get him playing centre than people seem to think and their free-agent moves support that. They didn’t acquire anyone who could even compete with Pettersson for that hole created by Henrik Sedin’s retirement.

With the talent at centre right now, I think EP has a very good chance to finish the year at that position. He will not start there, IMO. Gaudette will get a shot at 2C. Sutter will see time there too. In the end, I expect Pettersson to be there for the remainder.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
As a C, he did have a four-point game late in the season, lol. I believe it was the game where he passed Peter Forsberg's U-20 mark.

For what that's worth. I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be tried at C and it won't be any sort of impediment to him.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Put him with Eriksson as a mentor and Gagner as his centre to start, I guess.... Or perhaps Dahlen makes the team and could go on his wing, who knows. All I know is, this team is a jumbled mess.
This is what I'm leaning towards too. Eventually, if he's kept on the wing, I could see Horvat being his centre and Boeser drop down a line with Gagner as his centre. They performed well together last year when Vanek was the other winger and Gagner could be a sufficient enough passer to get Boeser the puck.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
As a C, he did have a four-point game late in the season, lol. I believe it was the game where he passed Peter Forsberg's U-20 mark.

For what that's worth. I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be tried at C and it won't be any sort of impediment to him.

Going from recall, the majority of his draft season in Allsvenskan was spent at C. Benning and the media referenced him as a "playmaking centre iceman" during the draft. I don't think his success at RW in his draft + 1 year clouds this assessment. It's a bonus, not a restriction.

Just watching his draft video again: Centre references everywhere:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Going from recall, the majority of his draft season in Allsvenskan was spent at C. Benning and the media referenced him as a "playmaking centre iceman" during the draft. I don't think his success at RW in his draft + 1 year clouds this assessment. It's a bonus, not a restriction.

I think the concern is that he spent most of last season on the wing. At C there were reportedly some issues with his defensive game (i.e. he wasn't great). He dominated Swedish hockey as a winger so I am optimistic that he can step in and contribute offensively as an NHL winger right away. But since he didn't dominate Swedish hockey as a C, I am not too optimistic that he can step in and contribute offensively as an NHL C right away and not be an absolute liability defensively.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think the concern is that he spent most of last season on the wing. At C there were reportedly some issues with his defensive game (i.e. he wasn't great). He dominated Swedish hockey as a winger so I am optimistic that he can step in and contribute offensively as an NHL winger right away. But since he didn't dominate Swedish hockey as a C, I am not too optimistic that he can step in and contribute offensively as an NHL C right away and not be an absolute liability defensively.

All of this makes sense to me, except ...

I'm not optimistic that he won't struggle offensively if his centre is Brandon Sutter, or, for that matter, Sam Gagner. Given the Canucks personnel, I'd be more comfortable seeing him in the middle, where he can at least play between a couple of reasonably competent wingers (Eriksson and Baerschi, say).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The way Green used Sutter last season makes me highly doubtful his role changes much if any.

Pettersson will get the same treatment as the Sedins

I actually think that Virtanen might be good guy to play wing with Elias in that he can cover defensively much like he did with the twins.

Last edited:

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC

He only had 7 games to get accustomed to center. Didn't he score something like 3 points in his first 7 SHL games on the wing? He jjust needs some time to adjust. Put Eriksson and Baerstchi on his flanks, give him soft deployment, and most importantly be patient. He'll be fine.

I'm picturing:
Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser (Primary scoring)
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen (Matchup with top lines)
Eriksson-Pettersson-Baertschi (Secondary scoring, give favourable zone starts and matchups)
Granlund-Beagle-Gagner (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->