Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I didn't watch Vaxjo, I wonder who EP's linemates would compare to on this team, or the ones he thrived with the most. Was it all skill or did he need a gritty/puck retrieval type player?
In vaxjo he had follow linemates:

Carlof
Shinnimin
Rosen
Rasmussen
Kiiskinen
Pesonen
Lundberg
Netterberg

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Super excited to see the new identity of the Canucks with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, and Demko as the next core. The young core is stellar and has reinvigorated my interest in following the team closely again. The best part is they will just get more exciting to watch as each season passes with more younger players coming in the pipeline. It's a much different feeling from when Canucks were peaked with the old core and you can just feel the team will be regressing each year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Agree with other posters. This is shaping up as one of the more exciting seasons in recent history. Will the Canucks be any better in the standings? Probably not. But watching some these young players grow and mature throughout the season, and then having Quinn Hughes sign and make his debut in March, will keep me glued to the box. And it'll be fascinating to monitor the Utica Comets as well.
Completely agree.

This upcoming season really gives me a 2007-2008 vibe when we had a bunch of young players break in for the Canucks (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen, Raymond, etc.)

Lets hope this next generation of Canucks can bring us a Stanley Cup.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I really hope this new core, or group of upcoming Canucks prospects can lead us to the promised land. really do, I can finally die in peace if they do win the cup. I know it will still be years, as we all know, the average age of a Stanley cup team consists of guys from 26-32. Very important to have Pettersson, Gaudettes, Gajovich, Hughes, Juolevi all reach their peak at around the same time, finally make a serious run at a Stanley cup.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I really hope this new core, or group of upcoming Canucks prospects can lead us to the promised land. really do, I can finally die in peace if they do win the cup. I know it will still be years, as we all know, the average age of a Stanley cup team consists of guys from 26-32. Very important to have Pettersson, Gaudettes, Gajovich, Hughes, Juolevi all reach their peak at around the same time, finally make a serious run at a Stanley cup.

I think that glosses over some of the nuance. The average age of all the teams in the NHL is in a fairly narrow band (usually between ~25-28) due to the distribution of players in the league. So the average age of a Stanley Cup winner is generally between 25 and 28.

If you're talking about the homegrown core, that may be the case recently, but there are also a small handful of teams that have been great for the past decade that continue to win cups. Pittsburgh's core was 21-24 when they won their first cup. LA's was 21-26. Chicago's was 20-27. Boston's was 22-27. The latter three had supplemented their core with an older player (Williams, Hossa, and Chara, respectively), but in each case you knew they were good enough pretty early on.

Reactions: timw33

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Anyone think Pettersson takes #14 if he makes the team? He was wearing #41 so far I believe?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
He should wear 42. Then we can nickname him: The Answer.

(I know Iverson had it first. Maybe The Swedish Answer?)

Reactions: Catbug

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
yeah

330tv076kij11.jpg

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So hypothetical question for you. Pettersson makes the team - who do you line him up with?

My thinking depends on if he plays C or W. If it’s C, I think Eriksson and Boeser would be a good way to work him in. Eriksson is defensively responsible enough to cover any lapses in judgement, and Boeser gives him someone to feed off and play with.

If it’s W, do we maybe just load him up with Boeser and Horvat?

Reactions: Catbug

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
So hypothetical question for you. Pettersson makes the team - who do you line him up with?

My thinking depends on if he plays C or W. If it’s C, I think Eriksson and Boeser would be a good way to work him in. Eriksson is defensively responsible enough to cover any lapses in judgement, and Boeser gives him someone to feed off and play with.

If it’s W, do we maybe just load him up with Boeser and Horvat?

Would absolutely love to see a Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen line... think it could become one of the most dominant in the NHL in the next few years.

Reactions: DecideFreedom

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
(1) Virtanen NEEDS a premier center to get the most out of him.

Chemistry is all that Virtanen needs...so far we haven't seen it under his development. We find it and he'll be a 20 goal scorer....point and shoot son, the speed and shot is there.

(2) the muscles will grow.

Welcome to the big show....If Petterson can't handle the NHL after 8 games then send him to the minors...we can't F*** this prospect up and just gift him minutes and hope for the best PERIOD.

(3) You didn't watch much of Dahlen & Pettersson in Allsvenskan before Pettersson was drafted did you?

1) Virtanen needs a lot more than a centerman to be effective in the NHL. He's shown little to no signs of being a top 6 player ever in the NHL. There's an argument for even being a bottom 6 player. He is a worse choice than Dahlen, Baer, Goldoblin, and even Gagner or Eriksson. He would make Petterson less effective.

Virtanen simply does not think the game fast enough.

2) cool story?

3) I did. And asking me if I have, doesn't do anything to rebuke my statements. I am correct that Pettersson thinks the game too fast for Virtanen to keep up and them together would be detrimental to Pettersson and only maybe beneficial to Virtanen.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Would absolutely love to see a Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen line... think it could become one of the most dominant in the NHL in the next few years.

I can't see, with all the veterans we have, him making this team pretty much no matter how good he plays. Hope I am wrong though.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

I agree.

The previous core window was really short

Sedins Kesler 2009 to 2013
WCE 2002 to 2004
Bure Linden 92 to 94

Part of the reason Sedins Naslund and Bertuzzi developed so late and their prime was short. If Sedins were able to developed earlier and become impact players in the WCE. Maybe there is a Cup Banner hanging in Rogers Arena.

Look at the Hawks Kane and Toews and a bunch of players developed early and around the same time. Their window was parts of 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad