Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
His first season in shl was 1.29ppg

That was crazy now when i think about it.

Will probably be harder to adjust to nhl.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'm giving Elias a 19G 32A rookie season simply because I like choosing random numbers. I do think he'll be a 50 point player THIS YEAR. Given his progression and likely role with the club, that should be a given.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
some points of reference;

18/19 - Hischier 52pts, RNH 52pts
19/20 - Keller 65, Marner 61
20/21 - Barzal 85, Ehlers 64, Nylander 61, Boeser 55 (62gms)

Pettersson 20??

Honestly after watching him in the playoffs and at seasons end would not suprise me if he topped Kellers production....especially if he can click with Boeser and the PP early on. If he doesn't get too banged up i think 55 is minimum

May 31, 2006
some points of reference;

18/19 - Hischier 52pts, RNH 52pts
19/20 - Keller 65, Marner 61
20/21 - Barzal 85, Ehlers 64, Nylander 61, Boeser 55 (62gms)

Pettersson 20??

Honestly after watching him in the playoffs and at seasons end would not suprise me if he topped Kellers production....especially if he can click with Boeser and the PP early on. If he doesn't get too banged up i think 55 is minimum
Agreed. Pettersson was head and shoulders the best player in the 2nd/3rd best league in the world as a teenager. There may be some struggles, but he should slot into a scoring role seamlessly next season and produce points almost right away.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Agreed. Pettersson was head and shoulders the best player in the 2nd/3rd best league in the world as a teenager. There may be some struggles, but he should slot into a scoring role seamlessly next season and produce points almost right away.
People are forgetting the fact that he played on the best SHL team by far. I think he will struggle next season having to adjust to smaller ice, different system, faster and more physical game. Of course I want him to succeed but if he does struggle next year, I hope the fans and especially the media can understand and give him time.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
People are forgetting the fact that he played on the best SHL team by far. I think he will struggle next season having to adjust to smaller ice, different system, faster and more physical game. Of course I want him to succeed but if he does struggle next year, I hope the fans and especially the media can understand and give him time.

Not only this, but he was the best player on the team. I honestly think he will be getting top line minutes by the end of the season. If he plays with Bo and Boeser, they will both get 30 goals.

I'd actually love to see him start on a super-sheltered offensive start line with Gagner and Goldobin.

Reactions: Tim Calhoun

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Fair enough, but he also single handedly made a difference to his team, and broke scoring records. Who knows if it will translate to the NHL, but there is lots of reason for optimism. Let alone outrageous over expectations.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Fair enough. People also forget the entire team, his team mates and coaches, all called him "Alien", because what he does on the ice isn't human. It is one thing to look at highlights and analyze everything to the nth degree. My summation is based on his peers. Players who have played in the NHL. Players who have played hockey their entire lives.

We can argue about what league is better, what team they played on etc... the reality is the kid was heads and shoulders the best player in a league that is pretty damn good. It ranks 3rd behind the KHL and AHL. He did this one year out of his draft.

What I find the most amazing thing is that he has shown his hockey IQ and his drive are 2nd to none. Would we not think he also is preparing for the smaller ice? For a faster league? For stronger competition?

No one expected either Boeser or Barzal to do what they did last year. But this is becoming the norm. Maybe we need to adjust our thinking to this instead of pushing for the latter... gonna take the kid 4 years before he is an average NHL'er

Reactions: GoTeamDom

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He played with different linemates all season and still produced.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I have a hard time seeing him play the full 82 games, but I'd be delighted to be wrong about that. The travel and pace is a step up, but then again he's never not stepped up.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
He switch from first line wing to second line centre for like 7 games? I just see so many fans and media expect so much from him next season. He'll do well on the power play but he will need time to adjust to even strength.
He started slow in both the season and the playoffs... he'll pick it up by November, and he'll be a stud NHL'er by December

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Good idea, do it my friend! Then we can look back after and see how right/wrong we were. Maybe have more than two options for answers though.

Will do.
What other options do you feel there should be?

He switch from first line wing to second line centre for like 7 games? I just see so many fans and media expect so much from him next season. He'll do well on the power play but he will need time to adjust to even strength.

As a Canuck fan I've learned to temper my expectations.

An optimist, a pessimist and a Canucks fan walk into a bar.
The optimist sees a glass of beer and thinks, “That glass is half full.”
The pessimist sees the same glass and thinks, “That glass is half empty.”
The Canucks fan sees the glass and thinks, “I bet that isn’t even beer. I bet it’s poison and if you drink it you’ll die.”

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
The Canucks fan sees the glass and thinks, “I bet that isn’t even beer. I bet it’s poison and if you drink it you’ll die.”

Love this quote, but you should at least credit the originator. It was Jason Brough in his latest article from The Athletic

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Love this quote, but you should at least credit the originator. It was Jason Brough in his latest article from The Athletic

Sorry.

tenor.gif

Reactions: GoTeamDom

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Will do.
What other options do you feel there should be?

As a Canuck fan I've learned to temper my expectations.

A Blues fan then comes over and drinks it.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Elias being a notorious slow starter, will take awhile to adjust to the the NHL game, and I could see him being something like 0.5 PPG for the 1st 20ish games. However, once he's comfortable, I'd expect a big seconds half for Pettersson.

3G 8A 11Pts in 20GP
19G 29A 48Pts in 62Gp

22G 37A 59Pts in 82Gp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->