Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dont think Pettersson is a shoe in to make the big club to start the year.

Would not be surprised if he starts in the AHL to get accustomed to smaller ice and to rekindle chemistry with Dahlen.

Utica might be a more fun team to watch next year over the canucks.

Pettersson
Dahlen
Gadjovich
Lind
Gaudette
Juolevi
Hughes?
Demko

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Would not be surprised if he starts in the AHL to get accustomed to smaller ice and to rekindle chemistry with Dahlen.

Pettersson
Dahlen
Gadjovich
Lind
Gaudette
Juolevi
Hughes?
Demko

I know Peterson will start in Vancouver for marketing reasons, but I believe he should start in utica as well.

Those above and Palmu and Jasek (Plus Boucher, Motte, and Archibald.... for support)

I would love them to keep them all together like this in Utica. I think Goldobin has to play in Vancouver if he is going to make it in NHL, but the rest would be fantastic! With what we have signed now, start the year and play the veteran plugs in Vancouver and this is the tank I can get behind. Slowly move the vets out of Vancouver as the youngsters excel in AHL... Development!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Pettersson
Dahlen
Gadjovich
Lind
Gaudette
Juolevi
Hughes?
Demko

Probably better for his developement to be playing in Utica then with the Canucks being centered by Sutter / Granlund / Beagle.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I know Peterson will start in Vancouver for marketing reasons, but I believe he should start in utica as well.

Those above and Palmu and Jasek (Plus Boucher, Motte, and Archibald.... for support)

I would love them to keep them all together like this in Utica. I think Goldobin has to play in Vancouver if he is going to make it in NHL, but the rest would be fantastic! With what we have signed now, start the year and play the veteran plugs in Vancouver and this is the tank I can get behind. Slowly move the vets out of Vancouver as the youngsters excel in AHL... Development!
Yeah maybe not a bad approach. I see your POV. Ive been behind having PBP and Gaudette as NO BRANERS on the Canucks squad. But maybe keep them away from the most clear tank year coming up. Hmmmm, got me thinking...

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Pettersson
Dahlen
Gadjovich
Lind
Gaudette
Juolevi
Hughes?
Demko

I just don’t see how / why people think that with the accolades Pettersson sports after last season. SHL MVP, Playoff MVP, scoring leader in both, has the all-time record for U20, then played the WC and put up respectable numbers there as well.

If he doesn’t start the season in the NHL, something is wrong in my opinion.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Hughes? If he makes the team of course.

PP1
Horvat
Gaudette
Boeser
Pettersson
Hughes

Fun.

I'm hoping Goldoblin can cement himself into the lineup and be part of the first unit PP in the high slot spot. I think his skillset is perfect for it...he can stick handle and make plays in traffic, pretty good vision and good enough shot to score from the slot. Let Gaudette work on the second unit.

As for Pettersson starting in Utica, I'm split on the idea. I don't think he will need adjustment time, or at least won't need that time to be in the AHL. He's also a marketing focal point, and will be expected to provide offence for the big club.

But loading up Utica, including Demko, Juolevi and Hughes, is an exciting idea. Let are tweeners (Granlund, Goldoblin, Virtanen, Pouliot, Hutton, etc) have another 2/3s of a season to show they are worth keeping. Then dump everyone you can that is over 25 between Christmas and the TDL and give our prospects some NHL games before they make a run at the Calder Cup.

Doubt it happens though, for a variety of reasons. The biggest being I expect EP to be just too good for a season in Utica.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm hoping Goldoblin can cement himself into the lineup and be part of the first unit PP in the high slot spot. I think his skillset is perfect for it...he can stick handle and make plays in traffic, pretty good vision and good enough shot to score from the slot. Let Gaudette work on the second unit.

As for Pettersson starting in Utica, I'm split on the idea. I don't think he will need adjustment time, or at least won't need that time to be in the AHL. He's also a marketing focal point, and will be expected to provide offence for the big club.

But loading up Utica, including Demko, Juolevi and Hughes, is an exciting idea. Let are tweeners (Granlund, Goldoblin, Virtanen, Pouliot, Hutton, etc) have another 2/3s of a season to show they are worth keeping. Then dump everyone you can that is over 25 between Christmas and the TDL and give our prospects some NHL games before they make a run at the Calder Cup.

Doubt it happens though, for a variety of reasons. The biggest being I expect EP to be just too good for a season in Utica.

Goldobin really won me over towards the end of last season, so long as he shows up ready to play at camp I think he’s a shoe in to make the opening night line up in the top 6.

In the last 12 games he scores 5 goals and 2 assists and looked like a legit offensive threat. It’s a small sample size sure, but it’s a reason to be optimistic.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well Detroit already signed Zadina but let’s not follow the Detroit model, they haven’t ever won anything.

I just don’t see how / why people think that with the accolades Pettersson sports after last season. SHL MVP, Playoff MVP, scoring leader in both, has the all-time record for U20, then played the WC and put up respectable numbers there as well.

If he doesn’t start the season in the NHL, something is wrong in my opinion.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Goldobin really won me over towards the end of last season, so long as he shows up ready to play at camp I think he’s a shoe in to make the opening night line up in the top 6.

In the last 12 games he scores 5 goals and 2 assists and looked like a legit offensive threat. It’s a small sample size sure, but it’s a reason to be optimistic.

Where does he fit? Guys that were signed this year, are not healthy scratches. Not a chance. There’s no room for Goldy. Benning made sure of that.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Where does he fit? Guys that were signed this year, are not healthy scratches. Not a chance. There’s no room for Goldy. Benning made sure of that.
There shouldn’t be room for him, he is a fringe prospect. If he can’t beat out Granlund or Leipsic than get lost. Have fun in Utica

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My POV would be that in the AHL, he can start and continue to develop as a centre from the beginning.... and down there, the right combo of wingers can be put in place for him to find success

Thats not a bad take at all. Didn't even think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad