Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
After watching the game vs Boston i do sense he will have problems scoring at the high pace if he also going to play defense behind the defenders as he did this game. 200ft game is great stuff but several times he simply were to far away when they switched to offense leaving the attacking to his line mates. As great as it is with him taking defensive responsibility he should be more valuable as a forward than a 3rd D. He had a very good 1st period and made a couple of unforced errors in the second. Overall he was very good but perhaps more as a defensive center than the offensive juggernaut one normally would expect to see.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Gubdradnson needs to listen to this and take a page from Krug of all people. Archibald with a nice clean hit and the tiny Krug comes to fight him even though he's giving up 4" and 25 pounds. I respect the hell out of Krug for taking that beating last night and being a good teammate- even on a clean hit.

Well it wasn't so much a realistic suggestion. I think Kev didn't sign anywhere else because he didn't want to move again. He's probably happily settled in Anaheim.

Bieksa should replace Garrett when he moves on to the golden arches in the sky

Just do it now why wait. He'd be a nice comedic factor unlike the two we are stuck with now. Paul Bissonnette does radio for Coyotes games and the one time I listened he was hilarious.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
After watching the game vs Boston i do sense he will have problems scoring at the high pace if he also going to play defense behind the defenders as he did this game. 200ft game is great stuff but several times he simply were to far away when they switched to offense leaving the attacking to his line mates. As great as it is with him taking defensive responsibility he should be more valuable as a forward than a 3rd D. He had a very good 1st period and made a couple of unforced errors in the second. Overall he was very good but perhaps more as a defensive center than the offensive juggernaut one normally would expect to see.
Can you really blame him for trying to play more defensively when Vans defence is atrocious (with the exception of Tanev and maybe Hutton recently) at transitioning the puck up the ice? Vancouvers defenders perpetually failed to move the puck out of their zone last night it was embarrassing. EP needed to play more defensive for this reason imo.

Gud handles the puck like a hand grenade and poo, delzotto, are not Very good at transitioning the play at all. They were pinned in their zone continuesly which was the direct result of the Bergeron goal.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Can you really blame him for trying to play more defensively when Vans defence is atrocious (with the exception of Tanev and maybe Hutton recently) at transitioning the puck up the ice? Vancouvers defenders perpetually failed to move the puck out of their zone last night it was embarrassing. EP needed to play more defensive for this reason imo.
I agree it will be interesting when Edler comes back to actually see a real top 4 on the back end with how Hutton and Gudbrandson have played relatively well since the injuries happened.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I believe I had him scoring 50 points exactly, and would finish 3rd on the team in points.
Might as well throw that estimate out the window.

Van could have a couple players score over 60 points this year.

Reactions: Tv9924

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
To those who thought he looked more normal with this performance where he only scored one point (despite having any number of created scoring chances):

You do know he is not going to score 200 points right?

Reactions: B-rock

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
To those who thought he looked more normal with this performance where he only scored one point (despite having any number of created scoring chances):

You do know he is not going to score 200 points right?

Was it insulting for Pettersson to be called "normal" last night? I'm not sure what is the point that you're trying to make here. Nobody is insinuating at all that he'll score even 130 points, let alone 200.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I can't for the life of me understand the point of pointing out that he was "normal" unless you're insinuating he is going to score god like point totals.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm

Gud handles the puck like a hand grenade and poo, delzotto, are not Very good at transitioning the play at all. They were pinned in their zone continuesly which was the direct result of the Bergeron goal.
I dont blame him at all. He wants to win and if he has to do all he will. However, he is not supposed to play behind the D, thats all.

What i posted was my reflection of the game and as such, if Elias dont balance out his game he wont score at 1,55 ppg. He cant be behind the D, during defense and then be in the front while attacking. He tries, which is in a way admirable, but moving forward you need to have D´s playing defense and Elias being part of the attacks. You shouldnt expect secondary scoring at the level of this game. I am very impressed with Elias. When i looked at a few SHL-games last year I thought he would have problems in the NHL. The fact he is still alive is a plus! =) The thing is, he is much better than last year and it shows. He is seriously good but to move back to the inital point, not even McDavid is fast enough to be behind the D and then be in front of the forwards when the play turns.

Some posters wrote Elias had a quite game but i disagree, he played a really good game for sure. He just did it behind the D's and couldnt contritube when the game switched to offense. (as much as we would have liked to see)

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Gubdradnson needs to listen to this and take a page from Krug of all people. Archibald with a nice clean hit and the tiny Krug comes to fight him even though he's giving up 4" and 25 pounds. I respect the hell out of Krug for taking that beating last night and being a good teammate- even on a clean hit.

Just do it now why wait. He'd be a nice comedic factor unlike the two we are stuck with now. Paul Bissonnette does radio for Coyotes games and the one time I listened he was hilarious.
If it was a clean hit then no one should be fighting :facepalm:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He'd be a nice comedic factor unlike the two we are stuck with now.

You shut your mouth, Garrett is a national treasure.

Sure he may not make "jokes", but being able to recognize the corner a playoffs celebration in Surrey is on by the White Spot in the shot is something you just can't teach.

Garrett deserves his own highlight reel, at least when he retires, but I don't think you can really go find old clips of Garrett saying "yes" or providing his microwave recipes involving mayonnaise and ketchup.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If it was a clean hit then no one should be fighting :facepalm:

I agree completely, however it's more to the fact that a 5'9" player will take on someone way above his weight class to come to his teammates aid. Something Guddy talks a big game about but fails to do.

You shut your mouth, Garrett is a national treasure.

Sure he may not make "jokes", but being able to recognize the corner a playoffs celebration in Surrey is on by the White Spot in the shot is something you just can't teach.

Garrett deserves his own highlight reel, at least when he retires, but I don't think you can really go find old clips of Garrett saying "yes" or providing his microwave recipes involving mayonnaise and ketchup.

John Garret is an absolute moron who takes a huge enjoyment out of watching Canucks hockey for me. I didn't mind Shorthouse for a while but after a couple years paired with Garret I now find him tiresome as well. Seriously I look forward to HNIC games simply for the fact there's at a least a chance these guys are not commentating the game. I'm not a hug Bob Cole guy in the recent years but that was an absolute treat and upgrade to have for a game instead of Dumb & Dumber we are given on a nightly basis.

God to I miss Jim Hughson.

But since this is the Elias thread.... EP40 = Sploodge.

Reactions: Chris McKinlay

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I dont blame him at all. He wants to win and if he has to do all he will. However, he is not supposed to play behind the D, thats all.

What i posted was my reflection of the game and as such, if Elias dont balance out his game he wont score at 1,55 ppg. He cant be behind the D, during defense and then be in the front while attacking. He tries, which is in a way admirable, but moving forward you need to have D´s playing defense and Elias being part of the attacks. You shouldnt expect secondary scoring at the level of this game. I am very impressed with Elias. When i looked at a few SHL-games last year I thought he would have problems in the NHL. The fact he is still alive is a plus! =) The thing is, he is much better than last year and it shows. He is seriously good but to move back to the inital point, not even McDavid is fast enough to be behind the D and then be in front of the forwards when the play turns.

Some posters wrote Elias had a quite game but i disagree, he played a really good game for sure. He just did it behind the D's and couldnt contritube when the game switched to offense. (as much as we would have liked to see)

I find it hilarious that you’re criticizing a ROOKIE who has stepped into the league scoring at a 1.5 ppg pace. I think he has it figured out pretty well. Obviously some things to learn, but it’s not like he’s struggling.

Reactions: billvanseattle

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Pettersson's a centre and back-checking is part of a centre's responsibility. The fact that he back-checks so deep into the defensive zone is a huge compliment and shouldn't be used as a point of criticism. Nobody I've seen back-checks as deep and as often as he does. He effectively nullifies any potential odd-man rushes coming the other way and he still produces several Grade A scoring chances every game. I don't know why you would want him to change anything.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I find it hilarious that you’re criticizing a ROOKIE who has stepped into the league scoring at a 1.5 ppg pace. I think he has it figured out pretty well. Obviously some things to learn, but it’s not like he’s struggling.

Why do you think its criticism? People were saying he had a quiet game and i was just stating he had a really good game playing defense. If you prefer him paying behind the D then we disagree. If you watch the game you will see that when Elias line were attacking, he was frequently far behind the play instead of leading the play which would be the preferred scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->