Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
One of the most exciting things for me is that he’s doing so much, despite being pretty much the only offensive threat out there.

Can’t wait to see how much more dangerous he is once he’s got some more offensive talent around him.

Reactions: NucksRock

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Kid is unbelievable. How many times has he set up Eriksson & Goldobin where they failed to convert. It’s insane how good he is already. We need a high skilled scoring winger on this team next year. We have boeser and... that’s it.

Last edited:

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
One of the most exciting things for me is that he’s doing so much, despite being pretty much the only offensive threat out there.

Can’t wait to see how much more dangerous he is once he’s got some more offensive talent around him.
He's placing peer pressure on other players too as a result of his 200 ft game. If he can do it at 170 lbs, and still dominate the team in scoring and be up with the league leaders, why can't others play 2 ways? His teammates are seeing this.

I thought Bo was a hell of a leader for this team, and a natural captain, I am wondering if the "C" is going to Elias in 2 years....he just does it all and is inspiring his teammates through his skill and determination to get better. We have a real superstar for the first time in Canucks history. Bure was an elite star, a game changer and exciting as hell, but a one way player. Elias is not only a game changer but a game 'dominator'....In the likes of Gretz, Mario, Yzerman, Sid, etc.....he is that good.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Burke doesn't think we should put a ceiling on him,

But the fact that that respectable people in media, coaches and former GMs are comparing him to star players, and gushing over this kid rn...that says it all.

He's good.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I can't stress this enough.

Judd needs a huge amount of praise for finding him and watching him so close.
But Jimbo needs a huge amount of praise for fighting off the rest of the scouting staff (who were reported as wanted GLASS over EP40)

This has been reported on a ton already, but basically the story is that Judd and Jim both went into the meeting wanting EP40, Other scouts and management badly wanted glass and had a long discussion and back and fourth to find out who is the better pick, apparently Jim Benning eventually changed their minds and drafted EP40.

This situation literally could have put the Canucks up 5/10 years, instead of Back with the Juolevi pick.

Incredible.

EDIT: Apparently Delorme also the one who initially found him and started hyping him to management also.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Burke doesn't think we should put a ceiling on him,

But the fact that that respectable people in media, coaches and former GMs are comparing him to star players, and gushing over this kid rn...that says it all.

He's good.
A scout last year compared him to Mario in how he can dominate a game. I had seen alot of him in Sweden and thought ok, I see that, but its Europe. What I didn't expect was him to come to the NHL and just keep doing it, and so fast.

He's not Mario or Gretz but "how" he seems to just be playing vs beer leaguers in the best league in the world was how Mario and Gretz looked.....I don' t think there is a ceiling we can put on him yet. I see more in his game than McDavid's already (sure small sample size), but I think he's better.

Reactions: pettersson

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I can't stress this enough.

Judd needs a huge amount of praise for finding him and watching him so close.
But Jimbo needs a huge amount of praise for fighting off the rest of the scouting staff (who were reported as wanted GLASS over EP40)

This has been reported on a ton already, but basically the story is that Judd and Jim both went into the meeting wanting EP40, Other scouts and management badly wanted glass and had a long discussion and back and fourth to find out who is the better pick, apparently Jim Benning eventually changed their minds and drafted EP40.

This situation literally could have put the Canucks up 5/10 years, instead of Back with the Juolevi pick.

Incredible.

It was Delorme that apparently pushed for this kid years ago and said we had to scout him and also pushed hard at the draft....The one many like to bash, was the one that found us our treasure

Ben Kuzma: Delorme delivered first hard sell to get Pettersson on Canucks’ draft radar

Reactions: pettersson

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
He's not Mario or Gretz but "how" he seems to just be playing vs beer leaguers in the best league in the world was how Mario and Gretz looked.....I don' t think there is a ceiling we can put on him yet. I see more in his game than McDavid's already (sure small sample size), but I think he's better.

the cycle of hyperbole on this forum is truly hilarious

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
the cycle of hyperbole on this forum is truly hilarious
Is that right? how so

1. A scout said that
2. EP plays a great 200 ft game, much better than McDavid
3. EP sees the ice better than McDavid
4. EP has a shot as good or better than McDavid
5. McDavid only has more speed
6. Mario and Gretz controlled the game, EP seems to be doing the same when he touches the puck

be well

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks like we won the draft lottery after all.
What a steal at #5!
Have no idea what kind of players Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen or Makar may become....Heiskanen is looking like a stud d-men so far in Dallas. But if there was 'do-over' on the 2017 draft based on one year of hindsight, Pettersson would the clear first overall pick. And it wouldn't even be close.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Cringing anytime I see comparisons and comments here or anywhere else where McDavid and Matthews are brought up as it is and then you see things like comparing his shot last night to a Gretzky goal and I just wish people would reel it in a bit. Not going to lie, when he scored I laughed and the first thing I thought of was how many times I saw that exact shot from Gretzky lol.

After 10 games he's clearly the franchise player here, that's as far as I'm willing to go for now (or express openly anyway!), and as much as I like seeing the hype right across North America, I'm a Canucks fan from day 1 and instinctively expect it to fall off the rails since we're just not supposed to have nice things.

And they should call up Dahlen pronto. Enough of this Eriksson BS.

Reactions: ZEBROA

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cringing anytime I see comparisons and comments here or anywhere else where McDavid and Matthews are brought up as it is and then you see things like comparing his shot last night to a Gretzky goal and I just wish people would reel it in a bit. Not going to lie, when he scored I laughed and the first thing I thought of was how many times I saw that exact shot from Gretzky lol.

After 10 games he's clearly the franchise player here, that's as far as I'm willing to go for now (or express openly anyway!), and as much as I like seeing the hype right across North America, I'm a Canucks fan from day 1 and instinctively expect it to fall off the rails since we're just not supposed to have nice things.

Pettersson sets the NHL record for goals in his first 10 straight games, and as teenager yet. For context, not Gretzy, Lemieux or even Matthews and McDavid accomplished that in their rookie seasons. And the amazing thing is, right now he's about the only offensive weapon the Canucks have.

Agree on Dahlen. Watching Goldy and Eriksson flub those gift setups is beyond frustrating. Maybe Pettersson and Dahlen can recreate that magic they showed for one season in the Allvenskan.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

This sounds made up

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Peteyboy is already a star player in the league. It would be surprising if he finished the season with less than a ppg, and that playing with the likes of Eriksson and Goldobin.

The question is can he continue to get better? What is his ceiling? The amount he has improved in two years from age 17 to 19 has been incredible. It is rare to see such natural talent paired with such work ethic and determination.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018

So the only reason reason we can't say he's as good as McDavid or Matthews is because the media had no clue because he played in Sweden and he didn't have hype right?

Because if you step back , that's the ONLY difference. Points wise, he's right there, if not better. Just because a European player was 'missed' as a generational talent by pundits and the media, doesn't mean he isn't - his play dictates that. You realize he did break the records set by Forsberg, the Sedins, and Kent Nilsson at 18 in the SHL right? Those are some pretty heavy shoes to fill, this isn't a fluke.

Media doesn't make a player great, what he does on the ice does. And yes Canucks fans can have nice things. The idea that we can't mention him in the same breath is nonsense if you watch him play. Its not a 'fluke' its not a 'hot streak' - the kid is a generational talent and we stole him.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I agree that it is wise to try to temper expectations regarding Pettersson. But it is also clear that this is not just a hotstreak...he was playing this way basically all of last season in Sweden and took home basically every award possible. If its a hotstreak it is one that is going on 14 months now.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Kid is unbelievable. How many times has he set up Eriksson & Goldobin where they failed to convert. It’s insane how good he is already and scary to think how great he will become when he reaches his full potential & prime. We need a high end scoring winger on this team next year. We have boeser and... that’s it.

ahem Sven ahem

remember that guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->