Elias Pettersson and the quiet top 5 potential

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
On the terms of what? Playing style? Pettersson is about as fast on a pair of skates as Barzal, or if you want to claim Barzal is "definitely a better skater" by 0,2-0,3 seconds or so, sure. When they have a lane, I can admit Barzal is a marginally better skater. By an inch or two. That's all. It's not much of a comfort for your argument, but that's what I'll give you in terms of correctness. I just don't see the word "definitely" to be appropriate in this situation. Either you overestimate Barzal's skating or you underestimate Pettersson's skating - or both. Still, it's a discussion of margins IMO.

When you compare Barzal to Ryan Reeves, I will agree Barzal is definitely a better skater. That's not the case here. Use proper scales please and not just sensationalism, even if also I am guilty of as much. It's not a standard I will hold you accountable to or I couldn't respect myself. So, Barzal is faster, but not "definitely".
Using all-star skills competition laps which have zero appliance to game situations is embarassing, not to mention that Barzal actually won the race this year.

But sure. Patrik Laine is a faster skater than Nathan MacKinnon. That's what the all-star game tells you.

Barzal is a much better skater than Pettersson. He is a lot more explosive, a lot more agile and has better deception and edgework.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t know why you would think Petterson is really fast. That’s never been what has stood out to me from his game. Barzal is pretty widely viewed as a top-10 skater in the NHL. Petterson skates well, but he’s not a burner, or at least that’s not his play-style.

I agree that Petterson has top-5 player in the league potential, but I think it’s more so because of his intelligence, stick handling, and shot. I’ve never really looked at Petterson and thought, “Damn that guy is a really special skater.”

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We’re excited, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being excited.

Saying we’re gonna win a couple cups in the next 20 years is not exactly going crazy considering the core we have.

so relax

LOL, so you're same core you have now is going to be playing into there 40s?

Even if it was the best core in the league(It's not but that's besides the point).... It is incredibly, incredibly difficult to win 1 cup with a core, let alone multiple wins.

Maybe actually make the playoffs first in a full season before planning the multiple stanley cup parades.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
LOL, so you're same core you have now is going to be playing into there 40s?

Even if it was the best core in the league(It's not but that's besides the point).... It is incredibly, incredibly difficult to win 1 cup with a core, let alone multiple wins.

Maybe actually make the playoffs first in a full season before planning the multiple stanley cup parades.

Definitely agree. Fans can get drunk with a taste of success and they see there new core improving. Not all Nuck fans are like this obviously, I just live in BC and see it.... and dont get me wrong, I think it's fair to be excited but the whole winning multiple cups thing is crazy even in a 20 year stretch as teams rosters almost change fully/completely every ten years or so. (That's just a guess)

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Definitely agree. Fans can get drunk with a taste of success and they see there new core improving. Not all Nuck fans are like this obviously, I just live in BC and see it.... and dont get me wrong, I think it's fair to be excited but the whole winning multiple cups thing is crazy even in a 20 year stretch as teams rosters almost change fully/completely every ten years or so. (That's just a guess)

I would add to that, and say that the majority of Canucks fans aren’t of this thought. In fact, as a Canucks fan living in metro-Van, I’ve never ran across this sentiment that we’ll win multiple cups. Not amongst friends, family, or co-workers.

Please don’t paint us all with the same brush based on a forum and some over-zealous posters (I get annoyed with them too). Most are happy with the direction the Canucks are going, but know that we’re not in contending status, and may have even taken a step back this upcoming season. With the pandemic, most have bigger worries so don’t talk hockey like we usually would. I can’t wait until we can do that again!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Wrong. He's "overrated" because he constantly make fans stand out of their chairs on regular shifts. He's overrated because he's so skilled. He's overrated because he makes some of the most homer commentators on the planet - The Colorado commentator team - cream in their pants when he's on. He's overrated because his season of highlights is enough for an entire career for really good NHL players. All of this doesn't make him overrated, it proves the point that he's really special. Oh, how did he do in his first playoff? Quite well, as a leading pup on a team no one counted on to go far at all. So, really well. 17 games played, 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points, 2 GWG. And most of his points were highlights reels, even in the playoffs. AND he worked really hard defensively with success.

Well, at least he's Datsyuk junior so far. I just hope he's brave enough to not become systematic and just continue to do his creative things out there. A couple of years older and he could consistently break ankles. Apart from the sublime saucer passes and the awesome wrister, snapper, one-timer, backhand or slapshot of course.

Barzal vs Pettersson in speed? They're dead even. We're talking decimals here. I don't think you understand how fast Pettersson can skate. Have you seen the All-Star competitions? McDavid beats them by decimals of a second. And with a puck, McDavid is the best, but claiming Barzal is faster? I just have to say: naw. If so, by inches. In edge work, both understand edge work. Pettersson is just a more complete player than Barzal. More tools in his repertoire, as to speak.

No, he's better than the next Näslund. Näslund couldn't beat guys 1 on 1 like he can (although he was also very slick), he couldn't pass like that, he couldn't shoot like that. And Pettersson's potential is the Swedish Gretzky. Not Gretzky, no one can ever more pour in as many points against teams gliding on the leather of their skates on the bottom lines and standup goalies without a goalie coach. And to not forget, the caveman defense. Gretzky was just ahead of his time.

When Pettersson has matured a couple of years, I guarantee he will be top 5, apart from injuries. And now he knows of the famous Jagr ass technique, so that seems like a good bet. When people recognize a great potential in a player and cannot decide if they want to call him the next Datstyuk, Bure, Gretzky, two Sedins in one, etc, you know that player has alot of qualities, because he does alot of things those other players were known for.

No...Barzal is most definitely better in speed and as an overall skater. EP40's skills and how well rounded he is, is surely something to see though.

I watch Vancouver more then any team not My own because of where I live and those around me, I feel just because he brings people out of their seats, is well tooled, crafty at the top level with his hands and IQ doesen't mean it guarantees him to be a top 5 player. Because that's simply being ignorant of the rest of the league. You could easily make the argument that the market does that because they've been starving for the days of a decade ago, and for that one plaer because the Sedins, and WCE all had each other to really stand out in that next level way. I've also seen John Garrett (Canucks colour man for those unaware) praise every little thing he does to the point its comical. I can list several examples, but of course Cheech is right the majroity of the time, he's an amazing player.

I also understand the frustration in watching an elite young center do things you haven't either seen ever or in decades do on a nightly (if not shift by shift basis) while the majority of the league either aren't watching said player because said team, or injuries held him back of proper treatment. Especially with finding flaws, again I know from experience I see people talking about end to end rushes, or offensive zone possession, skating, driving to the net with confidence and seeing all these mainstream names. Meanwhile your player is sitting top 3 in most if not all categories. I sense this with your wording. With that, it's good to keep the confidence, on said player, if it's meant to be it will be, as cliche as that is. No one believed me when I said J was better then Aho or BArzal (Not by leaps and bounds mind you) ...again I get it. But like I say, if he's that good and i've seen many signs he is almost at that level, it will be recognized

Van is a big market and a Canadian team so he gets his due but I get the time thing, a majority of fans in the East either dont/can't stay up and just check stats/highlights (WHich is fine) but it doesen't paint the whole picture. He's still really young, we'll just see where he goes. He's done a lot. But top 5 , it's hard to guarantee that. I mean I could say Jack is better then Mack based on career numbers, or PPG, and you could say EP has a better PPG then Jack to this point in his career so does that make it go EP>Jack>Nate? Nah, it's about more then that. The league's really good, I believe he finished 15th or so in Hart votes this year. That's crazy good already.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Man Nucks fans really need to slow down the hype train with there team and it's players.

You made the playoffs for the first time in years last year and now we're talking about "Multiple Stanley cups"....

Good grief.

Aren't you the one calling a guy who's played 57 games a potential Generational Dmen LOL.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Pains me to say it as an Oilers fan, but so long as the Nucks can afford to keep surrounding their core with great supporting pieces like Miller and Schmidt, I see EP scoring 100+ points and Hughes being a PPG multiple times. They’re too good not to.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Wrong. He's "overrated" because he constantly make fans stand out of their chairs on regular shifts. He's overrated because he's so skilled. He's overrated because he makes some of the most homer commentators on the planet - The Colorado commentator team - cream in their pants when he's on. He's overrated because his season of highlights is enough for an entire career for really good NHL players. All of this doesn't make him overrated, it proves the point that he's really special. Oh, how did he do in his first playoff? Quite well, as a leading pup on a team no one counted on to go far at all. So, really well. 17 games played, 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points, 2 GWG. And most of his points were highlights reels, even in the playoffs. AND he worked really hard defensively with success.

Well, at least he's Datsyuk junior so far. I just hope he's brave enough to not become systematic and just continue to do his creative things out there. A couple of years older and he could consistently break ankles. Apart from the sublime saucer passes and the awesome wrister, snapper, one-timer, backhand or slapshot of course.

Barzal vs Pettersson in speed? They're dead even. We're talking decimals here. I don't think you understand how fast Pettersson can skate. Have you seen the All-Star competitions? McDavid beats them by decimals of a second. And with a puck, McDavid is the best, but claiming Barzal is faster? I just have to say: naw. If so, by inches. In edge work, both understand edge work. Pettersson is just a more complete player than Barzal. More tools in his repertoire, as to speak.

No, he's better than the next Näslund. Näslund couldn't beat guys 1 on 1 like he can (although he was also very slick), he couldn't pass like that, he couldn't shoot like that. And Pettersson's potential is the Swedish Gretzky. Not Gretzky, no one can ever more pour in as many points against teams gliding on the leather of their skates on the bottom lines and standup goalies without a goalie coach. And to not forget, the caveman defense. Gretzky was just ahead of his time.

When Pettersson has matured a couple of years, I guarantee he will be top 5, apart from injuries. And now he knows of the famous Jagr ass technique, so that seems like a good bet. When people recognize a great potential in a player and cannot decide if they want to call him the next Datstyuk, Bure, Gretzky, two Sedins in one, etc, you know that player has alot of qualities, because he does alot of things those other players were known for.

Well you sound like a fanboy. I understand if you salute him so much but try to be objective. Guy hasn't even broke 30 goals in a seson.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This made me laugh and barf at the same time.

No need to laugh. Even tho Matthews is a tad better, they are both on top of the role they play with Aho. That role being topping the plusminus charts and playing flawless 200ft.

Pettersson also belongs to the same discussion.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Elias Pettersson has easily become one of the most overrated players on this site....

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Pettersson scored 68 points in 66 games in the NHL as a 21 year old.

McDavid scored 53 goals and 124 points in 81 games as a 21 year old.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
this kid is going to be something special if he isn't already... just oozes with talent... overall the future is very bright in Canuck land

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Pettersson is very good but he is extremely overrated right now. lets look at where he ranked this year:

21st in total points
18th(tie) in 5x5 points

he wasnt even the highest scorer on his own team...

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
So we'll just give him the benefit of the doubt and call him a top 5 player right?

Dirty tricks. First you mention points but not games, and now you try to put words in my mouth. Isn't this thread about potential? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and call him a potential top 5 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad