Elias Pettersson and the quiet top 5 potential

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Sure, it's possible. However, it's not likely as that is a very tall order. Especially if you meant among all players.

He may become a top 5 center in the NHL, though.

Regardless of ranking, he is damn good and electrifying to watch.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He’s pretty incredible but there are some games not recently but in his rookie season (as great as that was) I didn’t even know he was on the ice. He’s much more Consistent now.

He’s very well rounded as you mentioned but me he just lacks one thing that could bring him to the very top tier soon, which only a couple few guys are on and that’s the dominance factor. He has the skilled and the wow factor down, but that dominance where your size or skill is physically so intimidating that you run around everyone with an attitude of ‘I’m the best player on both teams’ where when he comes down the ice with the puck everyone else looks like there in a league below him. Malkin, Ovechkin , Sid, McDavid, MacKinnon All have this. Barzal doesent get talked about much anymore but I’ve found he does this too Times. There are others, EP40 can do this no doubt but you just know there’s that next level sort of like eichel a year or two ago where he just had it click and it all came together. He’s still so young that his potential is huge.. can’t wait to see him take off he definitely has the Potential.

only thing I fail to see is how he’s not talked about? When you’re the top player on a major Canadian market you’re going to get talked about. A lot. It’s just that he’s got to get to that next level and it should come it’s too soon IMO...to be talked about as a top five name.

Reactions: Vman

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
He’s pretty incredible but there are some games not recently but in his rookie season (as great as that was) I didn’t even know he was on the ice. He’s much more Consistent now.

He’s very well rounded as you mentioned but me he just lacks one thing that could bring him to the very top tier soon, which only a couple few guys are on and that’s the dominance factor. He has the skilled and the wow factor down, but that dominance where your size or skill is physically so intimidating that you run around everyone with an attitude of ‘I’m the best player on both teams’ where when he comes down the ice with the puck everyone else looks like there in a league below him. Malkin, Ovechkin , Sid, McDavid, MacKinnon All have this. Barzal doesent get talked about much anymore but I’ve found he does this too Times. There are others, EP40 can do this no doubt but you just know there’s that next level sort of like eichel a year or two ago where he just had it click and it all came together. He’s still so young that his potential is huge.. can’t wait to see him take off he definitely has the Potential.

only thing I fail to see is how he’s not talked about? When you’re the top player on a major Canadian market you’re going to get talked about. A lot. It’s just that he’s got to get to that next level and it should come it’s too soon IMO...to be talked about as a top five name.

Good to see you back. Hope you guys treat Hall well!

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
He’s very well rounded as you mentioned but me he just lacks one thing that could bring him to the very top tier soon, which only a couple few guys are on and that’s the dominance factor. He has the skilled and the wow factor down, but that dominance where your size or skill is physically so intimidating that you run around everyone with an attitude of ‘I’m the best player on both teams’ where when he comes down the ice with the puck everyone else looks like there in a league below him. Malkin, Ovechkin , Sid, McDavid, MacKinnon All have this. Barzal doesent get talked about much anymore but I’ve found he does this too Times.

Totally agree with the dominance factor. 2 guys from the West that suddenly popped in my mind is MacKinnon and McDavid. It seems like every time the step on the ice, they dominate. EP40 doesn't have that yet, but he's getting more consistent and finding ways to improve his all around game.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think he's almost already there, to be honest. Just needs the game-breaking consistency, and he's into that top tier. My top 10 forwards are:

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Pasta
4. Draisaitl
5. Matthews
6. Kucherov
7. Pettersson
8. Ovetchkin
9. Panarin
10. Eichel

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Top 5 player in the NHL? Extremely difficult.

He’s not a top 10 Center yet.

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Crosby
4. Matthews
5. Malkin
6. Bergeron
7. Eichel
8. Draisaitl
9. Point
10. Barkov

He’s in the next tier of Centers alongside Tavares, O’rielly, Barzal, Aho, Scheifele, Stamkos etc. Becoming a Top 5 player amongst all positions is very unlikely, however he has the potential to become a top 10 player in the future.
Could agree, but I could also see him ahead of Barkov and Point, but they're very different players. I easily see him above some of the others in the future. Malkin and Bergeron's got a few more years, maybe. Bergeron has already started hs decline IMO, but he's gonna live on reputation for a while longer.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don’t even think he’s a top 10 forward let alone a top 10 centerman but I do believe he has the potential to get there. Very smart, skilled player, lots of tricks up his sleeve.

he’s not on the Eichel , matthews tier, but I think he’s right up there in the barzal, aho tier right in that mix.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
His comparison has always been Datsyuk, and honestly, he is playing like him.
Has the world in front of him, going to win a few cups imo

For him to do what he did these playoffs at his age, and his size already is crazy.
He won't even be a quarter of the player Datsyuk was :laugh:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Even though not a huge fan of the Canucks for many reasons, very hard not to like their humble and quiet stars they got in EP40, Hughes, and Horvat.

EP40 while definitely not Top5, is an excellent player who is continually developing and can definitely challenge for Top10 within a few years.

Defensemen take a bit longer to develop but seeing Hughes first year was amazing. Will be interesting to see Hughes away from Tanev and see how he develops.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I don’t even think he’s a top 10 forward let alone a top 10 centerman but I do believe he has the potential to get there. Very smart, skilled player, lots of tricks up his sleeve.

he’s not on the Eichel , matthews tier, but I think he’s right up there in the barzal, aho tier right in that mix.

Aho is better than Matthews.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He is so hyped and overrated just because he plays inVancouver. He is a great center but not elite at all. We will see in the future...
Wrong. He's "overrated" because he constantly make fans stand out of their chairs on regular shifts. He's overrated because he's so skilled. He's overrated because he makes some of the most homer commentators on the planet - The Colorado commentator team - cream in their pants when he's on. He's overrated because his season of highlights is enough for an entire career for really good NHL players. All of this doesn't make him overrated, it proves the point that he's really special. Oh, how did he do in his first playoff? Quite well, as a leading pup on a team no one counted on to go far at all. So, really well. 17 games played, 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points, 2 GWG. And most of his points were highlights reels, even in the playoffs. AND he worked really hard defensively with success.

For him to do what he did these playoffs at his age, and his size already is crazy.
Well, at least he's Datsyuk junior so far. I just hope he's brave enough to not become systematic and just continue to do his creative things out there. A couple of years older and he could consistently break ankles. Apart from the sublime saucer passes and the awesome wrister, snapper, one-timer, backhand or slapshot of course.

I don’t think his skating is even close to Barzal, especially in terms of overall speed.

Pretty much every other area of his game is elite though. He’ll likely be one of the best centres in the league for a long time.
Barzal vs Pettersson in speed? They're dead even. We're talking decimals here. I don't think you understand how fast Pettersson can skate. Have you seen the All-Star competitions? McDavid beats them by decimals of a second. And with a puck, McDavid is the best, but claiming Barzal is faster? I just have to say: naw. If so, by inches. In edge work, both understand edge work. Pettersson is just a more complete player than Barzal. More tools in his repertoire, as to speak.
Calm down Canucks fans, you have the next Marcus Naslund, not Gretzky. Nothing to be ashamed about.
No, he's better than the next Näslund. Näslund couldn't beat guys 1 on 1 like he can (although he was also very slick), he couldn't pass like that, he couldn't shoot like that. And Pettersson's potential is the Swedish Gretzky. Not Gretzky, no one can ever more pour in as many points against teams gliding on the leather of their skates on the bottom lines and standup goalies without a goalie coach. And to not forget, the caveman defense. Gretzky was just ahead of his time.

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Crosby
4. Matthews
5. Malkin
6. Bergeron
7. Eichel
8. Draisaitl
9. Point
10. Barkov

He’s in the next tier of Centers alongside Tavares, O’rielly, Barzal, Aho, Scheifele, Stamkos etc.
Becoming a Top 5 player amongst all positions is very unlikely, but not impossible. He has a lot of potential, I do see him becoming a top 10 player in the future.
When Pettersson has matured a couple of years, I guarantee he will be top 5, apart from injuries. And now he knows of the famous Jagr ass technique, so that seems like a good bet. When people recognize a great potential in a player and cannot decide if they want to call him the next Datstyuk, Bure, Gretzky, two Sedins in one, etc, you know that player has alot of qualities, because he does alot of things those other players were known for.

Last edited:

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Crosby
4. Matthews
5. Malkin
6. Bergeron
7. Eichel
8. Draisaitl
9. Point
10. Barkov

He’s in the next tier of Centers alongside Tavares, O’rielly, Barzal, Aho, Scheifele, Stamkos etc.
Becoming a Top 5 player amongst all positions is very unlikely, but not impossible. He has a lot of potential, I do see him becoming a top 10 player in the future.

Does Stamkos have a brother or cousin that is in the nhl? The guy scored 45 goals and 98 points last year 29 goals and 66 points in 57 games this year. He is not in the lesser tier of players 803 games 422 goals 410 assists.
Pettersson is young and can turn into a great player but in 57 games this year Stamkos tied Petterssons career high.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Man Nucks fans really need to slow down the hype train with there team and it's players.

You made the playoffs for the first time in years last year and now we're talking about "Multiple Stanley cups"....

Good grief.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wrong. He's "overrated" because he constantly make fans stand out of their chairs on regular shifts. He's overrated because he's so skilled. He's overrated because he makes some of the most homer commentators on the planet - The Colorado commentator team - cream in their pants when he's on. He's overrated because his season of highlights is enough for an entire career for really good NHL players. All of this doesn't make him overrated, it proves the point that he's really special. Oh, how did he do in his first playoff? Quite well, as a leading pup on a team no one counted on to go far at all. So, really well. 17 games played, 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points, 2 GWG. And most of his points were highlights reels, even in the playoffs. AND he worked really hard defensively with success.

Well, at least he's Datsyuk junior so far. I just hope he's brave enough to not become systematic and just continue to do his creative things out there. A couple of years older and he could consistently break ankles. Apart from the sublime saucer passes and the awesome wrister, snapper, one-timer, backhand or slapshot of course.

Barzal vs Pettersson in speed? They're dead even. We're talking decimals here. I don't think you understand how fast Pettersson can skate. Have you seen the All-Star competitions? McDavid beats them by decimals of a second. And with a puck, McDavid is the best, but claiming Barzal is faster? I just have to say: naw. If so, by inches. In edge work, both understand edge work. Pettersson is just a more complete player than Barzal. More tools in his repertoire, as to speak.

No, he's better than the next Näslund. Näslund couldn't beat guys 1 on 1 like he can (although he was also very slick), he couldn't pass like that, he couldn't shoot like that. And Pettersson's potential is the Swedish Gretzky. Not Gretzky, no one can ever more pour in as many points against teams gliding on the leather of their skates on the bottom lines and standup goalies without a goalie coach. And to not forget, the caveman defense. Gretzky was just ahead of his time.

When Pettersson has matured a couple of years, I guarantee he will be top 5, apart from injuries. And now he knows of the famous Jagr ass technique, so that seems like a good bet. When people recognize a great potential in a player and cannot decide if they want to call him the next Datstyuk, Bure, Gretzky, two Sedins in one, etc, you know that player has alot of qualities, because he does alot of things those other players were known for.

I’d take Petterson over Barzal easily, but Barzal is definitely a better skater. Not sure why that would be debated. I could care less about All Star competitions. In game speed is what matters.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Man Nucks fans really need to slow down the hype train with there team and it's players.

You made the playoffs for the first time in years last year and now we're talking about "Multiple Stanley cups"....

Good grief.
We’re excited, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being excited.

Saying we’re gonna win a couple cups in the next 20 years is not exactly going crazy considering the core we have.

so relax

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And then you ask: "How could this guy get this hype?" Well, the scouting in lower divisions in Europe is still quite poor by NHL teams. They cover the big leagues. Pettersson was drafted while playing in the 2nd league in Sweden on his draft year. The NHL scavenging is improving, but any ECHL player or whatnot was watched 20 times more by NHL scouts than Pettersson ever was by any NHL team. The idea to move scouting to all of hockey is there, but pragmatically many lazy franchises are still very traditional. Just as in their leadership. Chip puck, block puck, hit someone, score a scrummy goal, win. The North American way, which is also easier - and cheaper - to travel in. Hockey has moved on technically and has evolved as much more mobile with more speed and skill, but not the franchise leadership. They're mostly a step behind.

I mean, look at Pettersson's highlights before he entered the NHL. Every freaking point is a highlight reel even then. And then you tell me 4 other teams didn't see his talent before Vancouver did. It's ridiculous. And Vancouver fans were angry because they didn't pick a failure pick instead. Yeah... Pettersson just happened to crush the SHL in Sweden and even broke the record by Kent Nilsson in 83 or so, which was a tremendously gifted player before joining Calgary (I hope I remember it right?). Forsberg, Sundin, Näslund, the Sedins, whoever, Pettersson produced more than them all in the SHL with his style. So...

There's a reason for his hype. Show me a player making this highlight reel against men's, as a kid. It's just ridiculous what he did - and still does. So, the hype has some verification, apart from what he has already proven in the NHL so far.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I think if you put Gretzky Datsyuk and Petterson on the same ice without jersey numbers that most professional scouts would rank Petterson #1.

He combines Datsyuks magic stickhandling and two way play with Gretzky's hockey sense.

I agree that he skates as well as Bure and scores like Bure but Petterson isn't just speed. Bure played fast all the time. No disrespect intended to Bure but Petterson can play at that high speed or he can also slow things down and play like Gretzky did too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The dominance factor is true, especially this season. He had games he looked like that in his rookie year (the Ottawa game stands out, along with Colorado), but after he was hurt against Montreal, we haven't really seen that. I think that's why a lot on here underrated him though, scoffing when people talk about how good he is, because you have to really watch carefully how many little plays he makes to get the puck going in the right direction. But at the same time, it's also why I can't get on board with some of the analytics suggesting he's top 10 already. Those games in his rookie year make me think he still has it in him though, as he gets stronger and becomes more aware of how he can fully use his skills

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I’d take Petterson over Barzal easily, but Barzal is definitely a better skater. Not sure why that would be debated. I could care less about All Star competitions. In game speed is what matters.
On the terms of what? Playing style? Pettersson is about as fast on a pair of skates as Barzal, or if you want to claim Barzal is "definitely a better skater" by 0,2-0,3 seconds or so, sure. When they have a lane, I can admit Barzal is a marginally better skater. By an inch or two. That's all. It's not much of a comfort for your argument, but that's what I'll give you in terms of correctness. I just don't see the word "definitely" to be appropriate in this situation. Either you overestimate Barzal's skating or you underestimate Pettersson's skating - or both. Still, it's a discussion of margins IMO.

When you compare Barzal to Ryan Reeves, I will agree Barzal is definitely a better skater. That's not the case here. Use proper scales please and not just sensationalism, even if also I am guilty of as much. It's not a standard I will hold you accountable to or I couldn't respect myself. So, Barzal is faster, but not "definitely".
Top 30 forward potential. Let's not get too far and may put up a couple top 10 seasons maybe an Art Ross.

Also not super quite.
iu

1) You meant "quiet". 2) Top 30 potential? Jesus you are a pessimist or just haven't seen much of him at all.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
On the terms of what? Playing style? Pettersson is about as fast on a pair of skates as Barzal, or if you want to claim Barzal is "definitely a better skater" by 0,2-0,3 seconds or so, sure. When they have a lane, I can admit Barzal is a marginally better skater. By an inch or two. That's all. It's not much of a comfort for your argument, but that's what I'll give you in terms of correctness. I just don't see the word "definitely" to be appropriate in this situation. Either you overestimate Barzal's skating or you underestimate Pettersson's skating - or both. Still, it's a discussion of margins IMO.

When you compare Barzal to Ryan Reeves, I will agree Barzal is definitely a better skater. That's not the case here. Use proper scales please and not just sensationalism, even if also I am guilty of as much. It's not a standard I will hold you accountable to or I couldn't respect myself. So, Barzal is faster, but not "definitely".

iu

1) You meant "quiet". 2) Top 30 potential? Jesus you are a pessimist or just haven't seen much of him at all.

I don’t know why you would think Petterson is really fast. That’s never been what has stood out to me from his game. Barzal is pretty widely viewed as a top-10 skater in the NHL. Petterson skates well, but he’s not a burner, or at least that’s not his play-style.

I agree that Petterson has top-5 player in the league potential, but I think it’s more so because of his intelligence, stick handling, and shot. I’ve never really looked at Petterson and thought, “Damn that guy is a really special skater.”

Quinn Hughes on the other hand...

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuckle1970

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad