Player Discussion Elias "NHL All-Star" Pettersson, Pt. X

How many goals does EP score this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
........and..how many years has he been a child and practicing that perfect shot....
9Z9mQrD.png

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Just when I thought I couldn’t like Petey any more than I do: he posts a pic wearing round frame glasses saying he’s trying to look like John Lennon.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I really dont get why their crap acquisitions get this special treatment. Vey got top 6 minutes, Dorsett did too partially. Leipsic came in and was forced on the top 6 just as is Leivo now. Granlund and Sutter getting tons of ice time for shitty perfomances. It is almost like they want to make their acquisitions look good but that cant be, can it?

Yet Gaunce (who is nothing special himself but also Gillis acquisition) is watered down in Utica. Not that he would do much better but it is looking really weird seeing him in Utica while Granny gets the special treatment despite being terrible.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Pass It To Bulis featured this on their website on Monday. I really appreciate that. Please check out their article.

Elias Pettersson was even faster than we thought at the Fastest Skater competition

Due to time discrepancies at the NHL All-Star Game as a result of lax time-keeping, skaters' times often do not entirely represent their performances relative to each other.

Hockey fans may be curious as to how Elias Pettersson really performed relative to Mat Barzal, Jack Eichel, and Connor McDavid at the 2019 NHL All-Star Game. As a result, I have synchronized their laps to their first push-off rather than to the time clock. Each skater breaches the center line at the same time, thus making this a more precise representation of their performances relative to one another.

Surprisingly, Elias beats Barzal by one frame. His lap against Eichel takes five extra frames to complete than Eichel. He also keeps up with McDavid as they round the first net; McDavid gains some separation coming out of the first corner, however.

Between the McDavid and Pettersson crossing the finish line, there is a difference of 10 frames in a 30 fps video, which is about 0.33 seconds.

If one adds that to McDavid's time, Elias actually finished with a time of 13.711 seconds.

The conclusion is that Pettersson is actually much quicker than most might have guessed. He belongs in the company of Barzal, Eichel, and McDavid. McDavid only beat him by a few strides. When Elias was announced as a participant in this event, many Canucks fans thought that it was a miscalculation on the NHL's part. It turned out not to be.

I also thought it would be fun to have a look at the differences in the way they skate.

Barzal vs Pettersson photo finish:

tmhofTA.jpg

Barzal vs Pettersson (the next frame):

RxEAlia.jpg

You'll notice that Pettersson crosses at 13.6 seconds, not the 13.9 seconds that was recorded by the NHL. The time-keeping was not precise throughout the event. Regardless of that circumstance, this is a frame-based look at how each of these four skaters performed at this year's fastest skater competition.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
well i dont really care about that skating competition...see no reason to bring it up. Threads like that got EP hated on mainboards.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
In our boards it’s okay and interesting though. If not here then where else right?

I was surprised at how fast he actually is considering it wasn’t one of his strengths when he was drafted. He really got much faster at the latter half of last season in the SEL

Is there anything in the comparison that BP posted above from Pass it to Bulis that is unscientific or has holes in its logic? Seems pretty legit to me.

Pretty crazy to think he beat Barzal!

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really dont get why their crap acquisitions get this special treatment. Vey got top 6 minutes, Dorsett did too partially. Leipsic came in and was forced on the top 6 just as is Leivo now. Granlund and Sutter getting tons of ice time for ****ty perfomances. It is almost like they want to make their acquisitions look good but that cant be, can it?

Yet Gaunce (who is nothing special himself but also Gillis acquisition) is watered down in Utica. Not that he would do much better but it is looking really weird seeing him in Utica while Granny gets the special treatment despite being terrible.

Most AHL head coaches who get promoted to an NHL head coaching gig within the organization tend to bring along players they coached and trust in the AHL to the NHL. Green seems to be a bit of an exception. While you can say that he coached Gaunce and Virtanen at the NHL level Green didn't exactly bring them to the NHL and put a lot of trust in them. He didn't give Archibald much of a shot and it's not like he's trusting Demko with starts right now. Subban didn't get a chance either. Like Willie, Green seems to trust the players he was familiar with in juniors over players he was familiar with at the AHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad