Elias Lindholm vs Sean Monahan

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Even though Monahan's name is in the title this thread is primarily about Lindholm.

Lindholm has really surprised me with the amazing start he's had to the season... 9 goals and 8 assists in 15 games. I thought the best player we were getting out of the Hamilton trade was Hanifin but I might be wrong.

So saying that, do you see Lindholm eventually supplanting Monahan as the Flames #1 center? Or if you don't do you feel he's best on the wing or if he does get to play center it will be on the 2nd line and Backlund will move down to the third line as he ages (he's 29 now). Or something else?

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Until we have a better option at 1st line RW I don’t really see the point of moving him to center. He’s clicking with Monahan and Gaudreau, let it ride. Not sure what your obsession with Monahan is these days

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Until we have a better option at 1st line RW I don’t really see the point of moving him to center. He’s clicking with Monahan and Gaudreau, let it ride. Not sure what your obsession with Monahan is these days
What do you mean obsession? I've started one thread about Monahan. This one is about Lindholm. I love Monahan. The Flames are lucky to have a player of his caliber.

If you got the impression that I want Monahan moved in the immediate future sorry I gave that impression. I'm talking one or two years down the road.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Czarnik-Ryan-Jankowski
9f2.gif

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Lindholm becomes a regular center, that would be amazing.

I would love a lineup of:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Frolik - Backlund - Czarnik
Dube - Jankowski - Ryan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Bennett isn’t going to ever take regular shifts at C, Lindholm should be moved there full time by next season. Kid is such a stud and equal to Monahan. Mony is the better scorer, Lindy is a better all around player, both are a tier under elite players, currently.

I agree, a 1-2 punch of Monahan and Lindholm down the middle would be deadly with Tkachuk and Gaudreau on separate lines as well. Basically gives us 2 1st lines.

Reactions: Mobiandi

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I agree, a 1-2 punch of Monahan and Lindholm down the middle would be deadly with Tkachuk and Gaudreau on separate lines as well. Basically gives us 2 1st lines.
Add a player on each line with Bennett/Neal/Czarnik interchangeable

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We have a monster first line right now.
One that is a nightmare matchup and dominates play all night.

No need to break-er up. Maybe if things slow down, or if we continue to get better young wings.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames have many options at centre - Monahan, Lindholm, Bennett, Backlund, Dube, Czarnik, Jankowski and strength down the middle is an age old credo. Personally, I'd like to see Backlund centre the 3rd line to allow a Lindholm, Bennett, Dube assume the second line C role as I feel they are top 6 calibre players (Dube will be in time). The problem is at the wings. Gaudreau and Tkachuk have the top two spots locked up. If Benny is truly a top 6 player he is not going to bump either of those two off of their lines (unless you put them on their off wing). So, centre would be the open spot. It is not so bad at right wing where Neal is, or should be, a top 6 winger. If you play Lindholm as the 2C (or 1C), there is a vacancy that wouldn't be immediately filled unless you project that Czarnik or Foo can move up. So, since the chemistry on the first line has been established, I'd keep Lindholm playing there. He can do it all including taking all of Monahan's weak side face-offs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was thinking UFA signing for next year but that works too

Ferland is in line for a payday.
There will be a team out there that'll give him a 4.5+ contract, especially if he manages like 40 points+ this season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ferland has an elite shot... but thats it. Well thats not exactly true. He does have truculence... when he feels like it. And he's streaky.
Ferland got to play on the first line with Calgary but thats because we didn't have anyone better... and we tried to find someone else over and over again.
Ferland, on a good team, is a 3rd line player. However, when he re-signs somewhere he'll sign a salary thats equivalent to what a 1st or 2nd liner will make. Thats too much for Calgary.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's 2018 and the cap's 80M. Middle six players like Ferland are routinely paid between 4-5M and it's absolutely fair value. But yeah, the cap is definitely an issue and the Flames have bigger priorities (Tkachuk, Benentt and a goalie). I'm not seriously expecting him to come back here.

But Micheal Ferland is a complementary player. Not sure why people think that's somehow not good enough or even a slight against him. The NHL is literally filled with guys like that and much worse. You're not going to have a roster with 23 drivers; it's literally impossible, not just cap wise but managerial wise. And Ferland's proven to a terrific fit not just on Calgary's top line, but Carolina's as well. And guys like that (aka guys who can play on top lines against top competition but won't command top line money) will always be appreciated league wide.

Ferland on a good team could play anywhere on their top three lines. Because that's how depth works. See Sheary/Kunitz/Saad/Namestnikov, etc., etc. etc.,

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Before the season started I desperately wanted to see a Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk line because I thought that it had first line potential. Now that I've seen the power of the Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm line I can't imagine wanting to break it up. This is the best season start Gaudreau and Monahan have ever had. Lindholm adds a whole new dimension to their game and it has given us results. Peters does mix it up in game and often Lindholm starts playing centre somewhere in there. If the current 1 line goes on a cold streak then I would be advocating for a change up again, but right now let's leave well enough alone!! :)

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
12 man league

I drafted Gaudreau in the third, Monahan in the eighth, and Lindholm in the last round (16th).

Even Flames fans underrate their own players. That said I also picked Smith :help:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Before the season started I desperately wanted to see a Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk line because I thought that it had first line potential. Now that I've seen the power of the Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm line I can't imagine wanting to break it up. This is the best season start Gaudreau and Monahan have ever had. Lindholm adds a whole new dimension to their game and it has given us results. Peters does mix it up in game and often Lindholm starts playing centre somewhere in there. If the current 1 line goes on a cold streak then I would be advocating for a change up again, but right now let's leave well enough alone!! :)
I totally agree. Leave them alone for now. However, someday I'd love to see a 1-2-3 punch down the middle.. Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund or Lindholm, Monahan, Backlund...

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I don't understand why we would move Lindholm off the wing at this point when he is having his best season on it. Playing centre has a whole bunch of added defensive responsibilities and while Lindholm is generally strong defensively, removing him from the centre roll has let him shine offensively. The only time we should try him at centre again is if an injury frees the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->