Elder Scrolls VI Announced

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Any particular reason that people think it’s an eternity away from being released?

They were pretty frank in past years about it: were working on ES6 eventually, but it’s not coming out yet. But the fact that they have announced it makes me think it’s not THAT far off now..

Does Bethesda have a reputation of announcing games well before their release?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Redguards also have a neat pantheon, and links to a sunken continent far in the path. They got some interesting internal factions that are squabbling as well.

It also has a real North African vibe, which would be neat to see in a fantasy setting. Good change of pace from Tolkien or Norse fantasy stuff.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'm already dreading the slew of articles from the gaming media decrying Bethesda's stereotypes/cultural appropriation/inaccurate depiction of African Americans "and why that's a problem"

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not disagreeing with you, but I'm already dreading the slew of articles from the gaming media decrying Bethesda's stereotypes/cultural appropriation/inaccurate depiction of African Americans "and why that's a problem"
Are Redguards stereotypical depictions of black people?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think it even matters, there's always something bloggers to get worked up about. I think there was actually controversy around cuphead because it DIDNT have or address racist depiction in old cartoons.

There was article before the division came out called "The division doesn't want you to think about 911" that amounted to the author asking "how are you going to address 911 in this game" and the developer saying they never even thought about 911 when making the game.

Basically, if it exists, there's gonna be a blog about how it's problematic.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Any particular reason that people think it’s an eternity away from being released?

They were pretty frank in past years about it: were working on ES6 eventually, but it’s not coming out yet. But the fact that they have announced it makes me think it’s not THAT far off now..

Does Bethesda have a reputation of announcing games well before their release?

The fact it was a title card, without a sub heading is an indication to me.

No gameplay, no CGI story trailer to show. The lack of subheading may indicate they dont even know its full story or setting yet.

Also, Howard said Starfield is first, and he very clearly described Starfield as "next generation". I think were at least 30 months away from the next generation bei g here, so Id say 3 years minimum for this game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Would be the perfect place for a lot of politics and covert ops type stuff as it's a neutral province friendly with no one that both sides want to control.

Well, this wont quite fit with my great sword wielding barbarian viking warrior I will inevitably end up playing as.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Didn't realize elder scrolls 6 and starfield were so far away.

I thought fallout 76 was a new Vegas type side project, but apparently its a big one.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This game is way too far out to have been announced.

This feels like Bethesda wasted a mic drop moment that would have hit much harder in 2020 or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to avoid the backlash of just announcing a mobile game (see: EA losing E3 by devoting a ton of time to a Command & Conquer mobile game that nobody at E3 wants).

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I'll be happy with any location as long as they are using a brand new game engine.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
....I really wanted Summerset Isle with Expansion in Valenwood. Oh well :(

Where can the game expand if set in Elseweyr?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This game is way too far out to have been announced.

This feels like Bethesda wasted a mic drop moment that would have hit much harder in 2020 or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to avoid the backlash of just announcing a mobile game (see: EA losing E3 by devoting a ton of time to a Command & Conquer mobile game that nobody at E3 wants).

Yeah, I think it was to save face more than anything.

A new Fallout is a great announcement, but they were bound to get some upturned eyebrows with the new formula. Announcing Elder Scrolls VI, even if it's far away, is enough to get people excited.

And oh how I wish EA did what Bethesda did and, in addition to C&C Rivals, announced an actual Command & Conquer game on the horizon (and not cancel it like the last one). At this point, though, I think I need to consider C&C, one of my favourite franchises ever, just plain dead.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Anyone else get the feeling this was a "oops didn't expect the uproar from the Fallout76 announcement, so we quickly made this 30 sec teaser to show you that TES6 is coming, years from now"...?
Because I did. :D

It's likely 3-4, maybe 5 years away. In the meantime, I dabble in ESO, which - after a poor launch - became an absolutely fantastic MMO, with a distinct TES feel to it.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As a casual fan (ie. I only ever played Skyrim), that teaser gave me absolutely nothing. I can't even get any sense for the location, it just seems bland and generic.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As a casual fan (ie. I only ever played Skyrim), that teaser gave me absolutely nothing. I can't even get any sense for the location, it just seems bland and generic.

I'm in the same boat. No idea what that meant, except that a new Elder Scrolls is coming. That's pretty exciting in and of itself having thoroughly enjoyed Skyrim back in 2011, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting a few years yet.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So if Fallout 76 is 4 times the size of Fallout 4 and I imagine Starfield will be much larger than fallout 76. So how much larger will the next ES game be?!

(Im not expecting an actual answer obviously as this game could be half a decade away still)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The fact it was a title card, without a sub heading is an indication to me.

No gameplay, no CGI story trailer to show. The lack of subheading may indicate they dont even know its full story or setting yet.

Also, the title seems a little plain-looking to me. It looks like they just took their pre-existing Elder Scrolls font and typed out the title for the teaser, not bothering to add much detail or shading. I sort of doubt that that's exactly how the final title card will look. It and the whole teaser, itself, looked like something that they hastily whipped up just days before to have something to show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden of the North

Adriano Lara

Jun 11, 2018
Is ESO good for a MMO virgin? Good on consoles ?
No doubt it's an incredible MMO to play these days, specially because they release A LOT of new content very frequently, so you'll always have new stuff to do even if you're a hardcore player.
Not sure if it would be the best choice for a first MMO, because the combat and skill mechanics are a little complicated. Answering the other question, i've never tried it on console to know if it works properly.
And as someone said before, the TES touch to the MMO is brilliantly made.

Adriano Lara

Jun 11, 2018
Anyone else get the feeling this was a "oops didn't expect the uproar from the Fallout76 announcement, so we quickly made this 30 sec teaser to show you that TES6 is coming, years from now"...?
Because I did. :D

It's likely 3-4, maybe 5 years away. In the meantime, I dabble in ESO, which - after a poor launch - became an absolutely fantastic MMO, with a distinct TES feel to it.
Do you really think it will take 4-5 years to release? I was guessing something around 2 years (near July 2020)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bethesda's Starfield 'is playable,' Elder Scrolls 6 is in 'pre-production' says Todd Howard | PC Gamer

In an interview with Gameslice's Geoff Keighley on Monday, Todd Howard offered a little more detail on the status of Bethesda's next two major projects, Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6. "I would say Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production, and Starfield is in production. It's a game we've been making for awhile," Howard said. "Starfield is playable. Elder Scrolls 6, not in that way yet."
Keighley mentioned that several years ago, Howard said the technology didn't yet exist for the next Elder Scrolls he wanted to make. Is that technology ready now? "It's getting closer," he said with a laugh. "I don't want to spoil anything yet. I think the teasers we put out are announcing the game, and ones of tone. How does the game feel? Hints at where it's set, for both Starfield and Elder Scrolls set. Even for us, though, redoing that music and putting it up there, even we get goosebumpy. We can't wait to have everybody be able to play this game. But that's us, too. We want to play it."

Reactions: Bruce Joker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->