ELC - how does it work???

Bleifooss

I have a question regarding entry-level contracts. How does it effect players who sign a contract and then are on loan to a European club. Does the contract kick in right away or is it on hold until he is on the active roster on either NHL or AHL team? For example, somebody signed a ELC in 2005 and was loaned to Swedish league for two years and decides to return to North-America in 2007. Does he have one or all three years left on his ELC?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I have a question regarding entry-level contracts. How does it effect players who sign a contract and then are on loan to a European club. Does the contract kick in right away or is it on hold until he is on the active roster on either NHL or AHL team? For example, somebody signed a ELC in 2005 and was loaned to Swedish league for two years and decides to return to North-America in 2007. Does he have one or all three years left on his ELC?

I would also like a clearer understanding as to how it affects a player's waiver exemption.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I guess I'm going to have to write an FAQ on waivers this weekend. That will not be answered here.

Entry Level Contracts
By default, all ELC's are two-way contracts, no exceptions. The length of the ELC is determined in the CBA:
Age 18-21 when first signing: 3 years
Age 22-23: 2 years
Age 24: 1 year
Age 25-27 (European players only): 1 year
Otherwise: not subject to entry-level restrictions

In general (I'm not going into all of the possible variations here) ...
If a player is age 18 or 19 (and doesn't turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the first year he signs an SPC) and does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), the contract is extended for one (1) additional season except for signing bonuses, which will "slide". If a player then doesn't play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs) in the second year, the contract can be extended for another year, again except for signing bonuses - which "slide".

So ... to the original question. How old is the player today, and if 19 now does he turn 20 between 9/16 and 12/31?

Bleifooss

I guess I'm going to have to write an FAQ on waivers this weekend. That will not be answered here.

Entry Level Contracts
By default, all ELC's are two-way contracts, no exceptions. The length of the ELC is determined in the CBA:
Age 18-21 when first signing: 3 years
Age 22-23: 2 years
Age 24: 1 year
Age 25-27 (European players only): 1 year
Otherwise: not subject to entry-level restrictions

In general (I'm not going into all of the possible variations here) ...
If a player is age 18 or 19 (and doesn't turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the first year he signs an SPC) and does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), the contract is extended for one (1) additional season except for signing bonuses, which will "slide". If a player then doesn't play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs) in the second year, the contract can be extended for another year, again except for signing bonuses - which "slide".

So ... to the original question. How old is the player today, and if 19 now does he turn 20 between 9/16 and 12/31?

The player turned 22 this month

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The player turned 22 this month
Assuming he signed his first NHL contract after the ratification of the new CBA, he will be an RFA at the end of the 2007-08 season regardless of whether he plays in North America at all. (If he signed before September 2005, he'd be 20 with a 3-year ELC; if he signed this past offseason, he'd be 21 with a 2-year ELC.)

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005

Appologies for bringing it up again. I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of the wavier rules, there are one or two specific situations out there that have myself, or other posters, or both, incorrectly interpreting the CBA.

Bleifooss

Another question, player has signed a entry level contract which runs through 2008 and currently playing in Europe but NHL team and he decides to terminate the contract with the European club. Does he have to go through waivers to return to NHL.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not unless he'd have to clear waivers because of the normal rules. Signing an NHL contract, going to Europe, then coming back doesn't automatically expose a player to waivers.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Not unless he'd have to clear waivers because of the normal rules. Signing an NHL contract, going to Europe, then coming back doesn't automatically expose a player to waivers.

He would never have to clear waivers because of normal rules. The only waivers ever required to return to an NHL roster are Re-Entry waivers which only apply to minor league (AHL) players. Re-Entry waivers do not apply to players on loan to European teams.

The only case where he'd have to clear waivers is if he plays a game in Europe after the start of the NHL regular season and then tries to return to the NHL during that season. In that case he would have to clear waivers to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad