Elam Rules

Are you in favor of the Elam Rules to end a game?

• Total voters

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So I'm probably a bit late to this, and I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere, but the all star game (didn't watch but heard about it) was the first time I heard of the Elam rules. For those that aren't familiar, they played the 1st 3 quarters as normal 12 minute quarters and then at the end of the 3rd quarter, they took the team with the highest score and added 24 pts (for Kobe) to that total and played to that number with no time clock the rest of the way, so first team to hit 157 won. I guess usually, these rules call for the game to play til 4 minutes left in the 4th and then add 7 pts to the high score as the number to get to.

I'm usually someone who reflexively pushes back against radical changes like this, but I have to say I think this could be a better way to play. The main advantage being that you eliminate the intentionally fouling down the stretch to draw out the game. But maybe there's some downsides I'm not considering.

So I'm curious what everyone thinks about it? Would you be for it? Why or why not? Also, if you are for it, what would you want the time cutoff and points added to be.

Again, maybe I haven't thought it through all the way, but I really think it could be good, especially for college, where teams can start fouling 3-4 minutes left to try and extend the game and make the last few minutes take forever.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's basketball, but every game ends on a shot emotionally commensurate to a buzzer beater? Hell yes. intentional fouling sucks.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think all all star games should be like that but not regular season. They should do it for overtime though. First team to 15 wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->