Movies: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
More of a tip-of-the-hat/Easter egg hunt for fanatics than anything. Todd would be an interesting character study. I'm convinced he's portrayed as schizoid, whether intentional or not. The only thing that gives me pause is his sycophancy, but it's unclear what motivates it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Really enjoyed this one, had a different pace then the series and personally would have liked to see it touch on the white family a bit more but all in all a good wrap up!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
It was mehhh. Seemed unnecessary.

Yes, but still very enjoyable to watch. You pretty much expected things to work out, so it was just a joyride. Not much suspense as with the series because we knew everything had to wrap up within a certain amount of time. I'm the type that could watch something I enjoy to absolute death though, as I said earlier (and years ago when BB ended) I would have loved a whole series just following up on "the aftermath and beyond" for the surviving characters.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
More of a tip-of-the-hat/Easter egg hunt for fanatics than anything. Todd would be an interesting character study. I'm convinced he's portrayed as schizoid, whether intentional or not. The only thing that gives me pause is his sycophancy, but it's unclear what motivates it.

He's such a nice guy he would give the shirt off his back for you....right after he chopped off your arm, that's why you need the shirt, because you're bleeding to death and need a tourniquet.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It was the closure that the show needed.

Jesse's fate was too open ended at the end of BB. He suffered so much in the show and it was a shame not to give the show's moral compass a proper send off. In El-Camino, Jesse's character got the ending it deserved.

As the movie implies, Jesse was a victim because he kept letting the universe take him where it wanted to. Giving yourself up to the random machinations of the universe does not mean you'll end up with a good deck of cards.

A good life is a life one must choose, and this is something Jesse's character had to learn through his victimization.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Todd always struck me as similar to Star Trek's Data, if Data was brought up amongst criminals. Todd's like a gentle, morally-neutral android who kills only when it efficiently solves a problem, and he usually apologizes to the victim while doing it. He's a great character.

And, like Data in the trailers for Picard, Todd seems to have become puffy. Somewhere, there's a great all-day android buffet.

Reactions: TP and Kurtz

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It was the closure that the show needed.

Jesse's fate was too open ended at the end of BB. He suffered so much in the show and it was a shame not to give the show's moral compass a proper send off. In El-Camino, Jesse's character got the ending it deserved.

As the movie implies, Jesse was a victim because he kept letting the universe take him where it wanted to. Giving yourself up to the random machinations of the universe does not mean you'll end up with a good deck of cards.

A good life is a life one must choose, and this is something Jesse's character had to learn through his victimization.

While I enjoyed it, I didn't think that there was anything there that was truly needed for the BB story. It was really well done but I came away being unsure why they did it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
While I enjoyed it, I didn't think that there was anything there that was truly needed for the BB story. It was really well done but I came away being unsure why they did it.

giphy.gif

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well yeah.

Again, it wasn't bad and they didn't mall it in or anything, but I just found myself thinking it didn't change anything in terms of the overall BB story.

Agreed. But I liked that. Just gave closure for Jesse, which I really liked. A good amount of people wanted that, money spoke, and boom.. we have a movie!

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Maybe I am in the minority, but the story felt unfinished with the way Jesse's arc ended in BB.

We had 5 seasons of deep character development and it simply ended with him driving away, fate unknown. It felt really empty and nihilistic.

Sure, Walter's character stole the show and was originally the show's main protagonist, but I feel like as the show went on, it was really about Jesse and Walt.

Walt's loop was closed with the final episode, Jesse's wasn't. In fact, by the end of the show, we had close on almost every character (Hank, Saul, Jesse, Mike, Lydia, Walt, Jack, Todd, Gus), but Jesse's fate was left open-ended.

The final episode went to great lengths to show that every loop was closed, except for Jesse's. It just felt unfinished and Jesse's character deserved closure after so much suffering.

Reactions: Rob Brown

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I really liked this movie. When it was first announced I was scared it would end up being just a money grab that could easily mess up what was one of the best endings to a TV series.

This movie wasn’t wholly necessary but I still really liked it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it was whatever

the ending was too predictable and i wasn't a fan of the whole "beef" with jesse and the kandy welding people. they tried getting the viewer to see them as the bad guys when they really didn't do anything evil

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There was only one thing i was confused about:

was the beginning scene between Jesse and Mike a flashback?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
There was only one thing i was confused about:

was the beginning scene between Jesse and Mike a flashback?

yes.
its where Jesse decides he wants out and to sell his 1/3rd of the methylamine from the train

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad