Eklund: Weighted Draft Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Kritter471 said:
But since Columbus was the team to make that pick, doesn't it stand to reason that the pick would be accredited to them? If Florida had picked Nash and traded him to the BJ's, then the scenario you're describing makes sense, but my reading of the draft lottery is that whichever team picked first (i.e., Atlanta, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington) loses that single chance.

Columbus had to pay (via trade) for the pick. Same with Pittsburgh.
No team that expended resources via trade to acquire a pick should be penalized for that, IMHO. They didn't get the pick for sucking or by luck of the draw. They paid for it. I don't think that should cost them.

In 02 and 03, Florida got the 1st pick because of a combination of sucking and luck.
CBJ and Pit had to pay for the pick.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Columbus had to pay (via trade) for the pick. Same with Pittsburgh.
No team that expended resources via trade to acquire a pick should be penalized for that, IMHO. They didn't get the pick for sucking or by luck of the draw. They paid for it. I don't think that should cost them.

In 02 and 03, Florida got the 1st pick because of a combination of sucking and luck.
CBJ and Pit had to pay for the pick.
Heck no... There should be no penalization for the first overall pick. Why is this even an issue, specifially. Why not penalize pickers in the top 5? You could argue that a player from any given draft is the best one, but was not the first overall.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Scugs said:
Yea.. that's great.. :loony:
That doesn't seem like a bad system at all. Far better than the 30 teams with 1 ball each crap that the big spender (formerly) teams fans have been lobbying for on here.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
futurcorerock said:
Heck no... There should be no penalization for the first overall pick. Why is this even an issue, specifially. Why not penalize pickers in the top 5? You could argue that a player from any given draft is the best one, but was not the first overall.

I agree, but that seems to be a popular sentiment in all these theories about the draft.

Personally, I think it is stupid. The goal of playing the game is making the playoffs and winning the cup. It is NOT getting the number one pick.
I'm a firm believer in not penalizing teams that suck (hey, I'm a CBJ fan). People don't seem to realize that sucking IS the penalty.
If the goal of the draft is to improve the worst teams why should the worst teams be penalized?

You make a good point about the top level talent.
Sure, Nash and Fluery went 1st, but are they better than Lehtonen, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Horton, Staal and Zherdev? I suspect you'd get lively debate.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I haven't gotten an answer to this simple question yet.

If the draft is supposed to help the teams that suck, how do we know which teams *do* suck with about half the players or more expected to hit UFA status? Are the teams that sucked pre-newCBA going to continue to suck?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ryanlambert said:
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders

hahahahahaha :cry:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ryanlambert said:
they should give it to whatever team's captain can guess the number bettman is thinking of.

Hide the draft order in 30 turds in a tub and have the GMs bob for him for their draft position. Let's see how much they REALLY want Crosby.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
shveik said:

If the draft is supposed to help the teams that suck, how do we know which teams *do* suck with about half the players or more expected to hit UFA status? Are the teams that sucked pre-newCBA going to continue to suck?

That is true. We have Mario talking about adding players because he has cap and others have to buy out players.

Pengs last sucky season + UFA bonanza could net them: Malkin, Blake and Sakic (or equiv)! Do they really need a better shot at Crosby as compensation for that?

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
That 4 ball minus this minus that plan SUX! The only one I like is the Combined record of the last three seasons. With The worst Team getting 30 balls, next 29, and so on.....

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am becoming more and more on the side of an only minorly adjusted lottery or equal lottery.

After you make Toronto, Philly, Detroit miss a season, lose millions of dollars in profits, then make them buy out some of their better higher priced players(Because of the cap), since they have picked late in every draft in the last 10 years (most of anyways), their prospect pool is shorted already. What is the reason they should get another kick in the balls?( :biglaugh: )

This coming from a small market fan. :)

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
As long as they use a 3 or 4 ball system subtracting one from teams that make playoffs. It is actually a disfavor to those who did poorly. The number of balls for the other clubs outside the worst 5 far outnumber them. There's only a 42% chance that someone with two or three balls would be selected. Only a 17% chance that the Rangers or Blue Jackets get the pick. So if you're in favor of a slightly weighted draft this will do. It's a question of who is getting extra balls or none at all would be in question.

I would rank the teams by their final point total for each season over the last three or four. Average them out and the top 10 get one ball the next 10 get two, etc. The top 16 can get an extra ball by missing the playoffs twice or more. Or at least something that involves an average.

Last edited:

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
All I want to know is that if a teams loses a ball because they had #1 pick in the previous 3 or 4 years is that ball put back in after the #1 pick is determined?

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
If you want to make real fair and real entertaining you have a set up with 30 balls in two different buckets or bingo type baskets. The first has a # 1 thru 30 for draft position the second basket has a ball for each team. You draw the first ball from the basket (ex. #15) then you draw a ball from the second basket (ex. NYR). The NY Rangers get the 15th pick. You could do the team first or the pick first either way would be kind of entertaining.

A Good Flying Bird*

slats432 said:
I am becoming more and more on the side of an only minorly adjusted lottery or equal lottery.

After you make Toronto, Philly, Detroit miss a season, lose millions of dollars in profits, then make them buy out some of their better higher priced players(Because of the cap), since they have picked late in every draft in the last 10 years (most of anyways), their prospect pool is shorted already. What is the reason they should get another kick in the balls?( :biglaugh: )

This coming from a small market fan. :)

And now, with the salary cap seemingly in place, people are starting to actually consider other people's point of view.
This is gonna be weird.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Whatever they do rounds 2-9 should be in the opposite order to round 1, not snaked between rounds, but all exact opposite to round 1. Get 1st overall then you get last in every other round. This evens things out slightly.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Taranis_24 said:
All I want to know is that if a teams loses a ball because they had #1 pick in the previous 3 or 4 years is that ball put back in after the #1 pick is determined?

exactly... biggest f-ed up problem with removing the ball... glad to see someone else out there can see the forest

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
shveik said:

barring something drastic like all RFAs being declared UFAs, teams aren't going to change that drastically. teams for the most part will keep their good players under 31 keeping the foundation of the team similar

some older teams might see a big drop as they lose guys and some younger teams might get a big boost by being able to add some available free agents, but i don't think the balance of power will instantly shift. it isn't like they are throwing everyone into a pool and starting over from scratch. ottawa will still go into the season with hossa, havlat, spezza, redden, etc

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
shveik said:

It's simple, those people feel they should be be given EXTRA rewards for sucking. Remember "they've suffered", we've read a lot of that lately haven't we? Their argument has not merit what so ever cause if we've learned one thing about the NHL is predictions dont mean ****. We saw a team in the playoffs turn into one of the worst team in hockey in one year. And OTOH we saw a team who drafted 6th over made it to the Cup finals the following year. So predict away but chances are you wont be right.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
ryanlambert said:
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders

Hmm, Lightning made the playoffs twice in the last five years, we'd lose two balls and have one left, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->