Eklund: "I think Flyers should pick Esposito 2nd"

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I never got what the (ex) thing meant exactly.

as I understand it

e1 is a small rumour something that's just a thought
e2 is similar but teams are expressing interest in whatever it is that's going on
e3 means teams are talking to each other or to the player and talks are going well
e4 means something is going down soon
e5 means confirmed fact

again though it seems Eklund just throws a number out there with each rumour. hence the e5 for Ryan Smyth re-signing in Edmonton at the deadline. He's had so many e3/4's that didn't happen.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
as I understand it

e1 is a small rumour something that's just a thought
e2 is similar but teams are expressing interest in whatever it is that's going on
e3 means teams are talking to each other or to the player and talks are going well
e4 means something is going down soon
e5 means confirmed fact

again though it seems Eklund just throws a number out there with each rumour. hence the e5 for Ryan Smyth re-signing in Edmonton at the deadline. He's had so many e3/4's that didn't happen.

Let's not forget his e5 from two years ago when he said Doug Weight was going to Ottawa.

joe_shannon_1983*

Taken from the FAQ section of Eklund's website:

What is the E-System (e1, e2, e3, etc.)?

The E-System was devised with the intelligent hockey fan in mind as a way for Eklund to give subtle clues to rumors that are posted, as well as gauge the likelihood of a rumor turning into an actual trade or free agent signing.

E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1’s. It could be several E1’s.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

Remember folks....Ryan Smyth re-signing with Edmonton (E5).

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Eklund has Esposito going second?????? What the hell is that all about???? No way Esposito doesn't go #1 ... and by a good margin as well :(

bayrider

Jun 4, 2006
Montreal
Quite frankly, I think its very easy to bash Eklund.

He had a leg up on everyone, even the popular media, with the Antropov deal. Ditto the Samsonov trade, as well as Claude Julien in Boston. Has he been wrong a lot? Of course... but who hasn't? His game is rumours, whereas other mainstream media outlets involve analysis of strategy, business, etc.... Eklund is all rumors.

Dreger has missed on many predictions. As has McGuire, McKenzie (my favourite), Oake, Cuthbert, Lebrun, ad infinitum. We don't bash them, because they're under the corporate umbrella.

Eklund is as entitled to an opinion as anyone. If he had posted this a year ago, everyone would be saying he was a moron because it was such an obvious statement. Fact is, Esposito is insanely talented, at least equal to those in the top 3 - he just didn't show it last year. His upside is ridiculous, and a team like the Flyers could take a jump on it, though it is highly unlikely.

I swear, its like a bloody sewing circle in here some days... all of the people who jump on board to bash him are the people who hide behind the curtains when he gets the one-up on everyone otherwise.

Oh, and by the way, TSN's article even said on Tuesday morning that "TSN has confirmed an internet report that the Boston Bruins have hired Claude Julien as their new head coach."

I check out every hockey rumor site I know before work, and Eklund was the only one on this. Funny how no one says boo then.

I swear, message boards remind me very much of an elementary school mentality - attack those who are different.

Samsonov to Chicago has been circulating for a loooooong time, and it was Pierre McGuire who told us a deal between Chicago and Montreal would go down a few days before it happened, not Eklund.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I think people are jealous of Eklund. I bet 80% of posters here wish they had thier own rumours site, and were connected with hockey insiders.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
I think people are jealous of Eklund. I bet 80% of posters here wish they had thier own rumours site, and were connected with hockey insiders.

I bet you that you are 100% wrong.

People dont like frauds and conmen.

I could make up my own site and my own rumours and be right more often than Eklund but I have more self respect than to lie to peoples faces and con money out of them.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Taken from the FAQ section of Eklund's website:

Remember folks....Ryan Smyth re-signing with Edmonton (E5).
Also, Flyers fans remember Satan to Philly was a certainty as hed just spoken to his agent but he didnt know that Satan represented himself at the time. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Also he was posting that he was in Toronto at a GMs conference or something but his IP address was from a Philly ISP. :biglaugh ::biglaugh:

Two confirmed lies that made him a joke among Flyers fans and their boards yet hed still allowed on here as a source, I dont get it.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And again, you're not reading what I'm telling you.

How many insiders spoke about Satan's availability? How the bloody hell do we know who has an agent, and who doesn't? Who it is, what the relationship is? Nylander doesn't have an agent right now, do you think its still the case? Only 2 days until the draft, only 10 until he's a free agent, do you REALLY think he hasn't talked to someone before releasing it to the media?

For crying out loud, use your bloody head. Releasing that you have an agent alone gives up competitive advantage - by the same way you look at a scout, you know the agents reputation, their tactics, how they'll approach things. Do you think NHL players are just climbing over themselves to say "I HAVE AN AGENT!!!!"?

No. It would be assinine.

Every individual, free agent in the NHL (or any major sport), down to a 26,000$ punter at any company with some kind of company has labour negotiation leverage, if they walk in with the power to say "I have someone to represent me and will ask for more money."

That NEVER guarantees money. Offer better chances? Sure. But doesn't make anythings a damn thing more certain.

For more reference, refer to Ken Klee is 2001-2002 asking the Caps for 4M$ a year, and then settling for 1.5$ from the Leafs.
Seriously, can you not read? Do you have a mental handicap of some sort? This is pretty simple stuff to understand.

Miroslav Satan did not have an agent, it was well documented and Eklund was caught in a blatant lie (this was probably 4 or 5 years ago). This is well before Eklund started his blog and became known to the entire hockey world. Once he was caught in the lie, he ADMITTED TO MAKING THINGS UP. THIS WAS NOT THE ONLY TIME HE WAS CAUGHT IN A LIE AND ADMITTED TO MAKING THINGS UP WHILE POSTING ON FLYERSPHANS.COM. In fact, if you asked him about his experience on flyersphans.com, I bet he'd even tell you HE MADE THINGS UP. I really don't see what's so difficult to understand about what I've written, but it's the truth.

Again, the guy was a liar who made things up on message boards to make himself look like an insider. Some how he was able to gain some sources during the lockout and gain legitimacy as a hockey writer. Now he has a lot of sources and a lot of journalists who write on his website so he doesn't need to make things up. Forgive the posters on flyersphans.com who have known him for a very long time and don't believe everything that he says because HE'S ADMITTED TO MAKING THINGS UP.

None of this is relevant at all to my original point, which you haven't responded to, which was that Eklund is a message board poster with sources. He doesn't know ANYTHING about evaluating prospects and he likely hasn't even seen these prospects play, including Angelo Esposito. Why is it at all relevant who he thinks the Flyers should pick when he hasn't even seen the players play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad