Speculation: Eklund Bishop rumor

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hes only our trade chip for a couple more months. I guess you have to ask yourself what else Bishop is going to get us? You say he is one of our best trade chips, but if we can't get anything else worth a damn for him the Shattenkirk wine and dine might be worth it.

Agree?

I don't know. Is a second rounder worth bringing Shattenkirk in for a couple of months and have first crack at him? Given the UFA landscape, where it's not unrealistic that he can demand $7m, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I'd rather try to clear enough space to sign him for $6m and deal Bishop to the highest bidder. If management is cemented into the plan to roll with Vasy anyway.

I mean, the trade could easily wind up with Shattenkirk walking and Bishop leading the Blues on a deep cup run. They're struggling, but they're not in the same position we are. All our focus should be on next year. If we see a miracle in the meantime, great, but we shouldn't be risking anything for one.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Vasi could do just as well? I think he sank that ship last time he had a chance.

You talk like his career stats before those 15 games were extraordinary or something.

lol @ "best young goaltender" that title doesn't belong to him, most potential? Yes best young goaltender? No. I'd like to see you argue him over Gibson who has significantly better stats at nearly double the sample size. Even Murray is currently better.

Ok, most potential. I will give you that Murray is more polished at this stage.
Don't agree with Gibson, would like to see him play behind our defense, he wouldn't be as good.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I don't know. Is a second rounder worth bringing Shattenkirk in for a couple of months and have first crack at him? Given the UFA landscape, where it's not unrealistic that he can demand $7m, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I'd rather try to clear enough space to sign him for $6m and deal Bishop to the highest bidder. If management is cemented into the plan to roll with Vasy anyway.

I mean, the trade could easily wind up with Shattenkirk walking and Bishop leading the Blues on a deep cup run. They're struggling, but they're not in the same position we are. All our focus should be on next year. If we see a miracle in the meantime, great, but we shouldn't be risking anything for one.

The St. Louis community here doesn't seem to be so optimistic about their playoff prospects.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The St. Louis community here doesn't seem to be so optimistic about their playoff prospects.

They're in a playoff spot despite bad goaltending. Give them a motivated Bishop and they'll be poised to do some damage.

We, on the other hand, would be acquiring Shattenkirk to basically have a few months to sell him on taking a discount. (At which point we'll be in a mad dash to shed salary.)

I just don't see what this deal does for us. I understand it from the Blues' perspective. For us it feels like throwing good money after bad.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ok, most potential. I will give you that Murray is more polished at this stage.
Don't agree with Gibson, would like to see him play behind our defense, he wouldn't be as good.

Mhmm... and when that reverse logic applies to our players everyone is up in arms.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think we're going to find out Yzerman's intentions with Bishop pretty soon. He's either traded in the next month or we are going to try to find a way to re-sign him.

He could probably net a low 1st or a couple of 2nds. I would avoid taking on any prospects, personally, since we're not going to get a blue-chipper for him though. I'd rather give Murray some more chips to gamble with.

Edit: And getting Shattenkirk or any other rental is pointless. We won't have the cap to re-sign them and it is not like we're going to make the playoffs. Let's stock up on some prospects if he's not coming back.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think we're going to find out Yzerman's intentions with Bishop pretty soon. He's either traded in the next month or we are going to try to find a way to re-sign him.

He could probably net a low 1st or a couple of 2nds. I would avoid taking on any prospects, personally, since we're not going to get a blue-chipper for him though. I'd rather give Murray some more chips to gamble with.

Edit: And getting Shattenkirk or any other rental is pointless. We won't have the cap to re-sign them and it is not like we're going to make the playoffs. Let's stock up on some prospects if he's not coming back.
I hope because he needs to move forward with bishop or move him out

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Bishop has to be willing to waive his NMC first... Bishop is from St.Louis

Also, how many teams could actually use Bishop right now? If you eliminate the bubble teams, St.Louis is the only playoff team that desperately needs goaltending.

St.Louis is very strong at the RD position and need to shed cap, so they would be more willing to move a defenseman whom they can't retain despite being in playoff contention, probably more than any other team in the league.

St.Louis is simply the best trading partner, and as others have mentioned, if chances for a playoff birth look bleak come the TDL, there are substantially more teams that would be willing to trade for a defenseman than a goalie.

Finally, I think Shattenkirk is an ideal fit. A "test run" should prove this, and you can start selling him on the area and offer him a Stamkos-esque contract which takes advantage of the lack of state income tax.

I don't think we can simply expect to grab him in free agency by outbidding other teams, and I don't think there is a chance we re-sign Bishop while we have Vasi on the team and desperately need the cap space.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bishop has to be willing to waive his NMC first... Bishop is from St.Louis

Also, how many teams could actually use Bishop right now? If you eliminate the bubble teams, St.Louis is the only playoff team that desperately needs goaltending.

St.Louis is very strong at the RD position and need to shed cap, so they would be more willing to move a defenseman whom they can't retain despite being in playoff contention, probably more than any other team in the league.

St.Louis is simply the best trading partner, and as others have mentioned, if chances for a playoff birth look bleak come the TDL, there are substantially more teams that would be willing to trade for a defenseman than a goalie.

Finally, I think Shattenkirk is an ideal fit. A "test run" should prove this, and you can start selling him on the area and offer him a Stamkos-esque contract which takes advantage of the lack of state income tax.

I don't think we can simply expect to grab him in free agency by outbidding other teams, and I don't think there is a chance we re-sign Bishop while we have Vasi on the team and desperately need the cap space.

I 100 percent agree wine and dine shatty for a few months

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What player in the last year of his contract would not waive his NMC for a chance to play in the playoffs? I don't foresee the NMC being a problem here.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What player in the last year of his contract would not waive his NMC for a chance to play in the playoffs? I don't foresee the NMC being a problem here.

That's the key. We are a bubble team, kinda, he may not waive to go to another bubble team unless he really likes their situation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's the key. We are a bubble team, kinda, he may not waive to go to another bubble team unless he really likes their situation.

We're not really a bubble team at this point. Any team trying to acquire Bishop would be a team trying to gear up for a cup run. He'd waive.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We're not really a bubble team at this point. Any team trying to acquire Bishop would be a team trying to gear up for a cup run. He'd waive.

Normally I'd agree, but there are only a handful of teams who've solidly put themselves in position to make the playoffs. Calgary for instance, could really use Bishop. We have two games in hand on them and they only have two more points than us. Dallas is in the same boat.

When you look at the teams that could actually use Bishop, they are in no better shape than we are. The only thing that would get me to change my mind if I were Bishop is if those teams loaded up while we were completely dismantling.

One team that nobody mentions much are the Flyers. They have their future in net with Stolarz, but he's super raw and they look to go deep this year. I could see them having some interest, especially since Mason his a UFA at the end of the season.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Normally I'd agree, but there are only a handful of teams who've solidly put themselves in position to make the playoffs. Calgary for instance, could really use Bishop. We have two games in hand on them and they only have two more points than us. Dallas is in the same boat.

When you look at the teams that could actually use Bishop, they are in no better shape than we are. The only thing that would get me to change my mind if I were Bishop is if those teams loaded up while we were completely dismantling.

One team that nobody mentions much are the Flyers. They have their future in net with Stolarz, but he's super raw and they look to go deep this year. I could see them having some interest, especially since Mason his a UFA at the end of the season.

How is that remotely relevant when they are in a different conference?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Its is very relevant if I am making a point about how competitive they are compared to us.

But it doesn't make that point. They're in a different conference. Calgary is currently in a playoff spot and Dallas is a couple of points back from one. Their "relative competitiveness" is completely irrelevant to whether they are likely to make the playoffs or not.

We have an 8.9% chance of making the playoffs. Calgary is over 25% and Dallas is at around 16%. Both are way more likely to make the dance than we are, especially if they are able to plug a major hole without much cost to their current roster.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
But it doesn't make that point. They're in a different conference. Calgary is currently in a playoff spot and Dallas is a couple of points back from one. Their "relative competitiveness" is completely irrelevant to whether they are likely to make the playoffs or not.

We have an 8.9% chance of making the playoffs. Calgary is over 25% and Dallas is at around 16%. Both are way more likely to make the dance than we are, especially if they are able to plug a major hole without much cost to their current roster.

You're trying to argue with me that they aren't bubble teams? Talk about splitting hairs.

I get it, they are in a different conference so our respective points don't necessarily reflect our playoff chances, and you've shown proof. Their point totals I only mention to underscore how good they are by comparison.

They are still bubble teams. I'd rather not argue with you over this, when the vast majority of their fan base feel like they aren't competitive enough to trade premium assets for a pending UFA. I do concede the point though, this really isn't worth arguing over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->