Speculation: Eklund Bishop rumor

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The idea that we need Shatty to make our PP formidable is dumb at this point. Hedman has proved this year that he CAN be just as good at anyone in the league in this regard.

We would need Shatty to give us a second pair option that is worth a damn at starting a transition game while on the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The idea that we need Shatty to make our PP formidable is dumb at this point. Hedman has proved this year that he CAN be just as good at anyone in the league in this regard.

We would need Shatty to give us a second pair option that is worth a damn at starting a transition game while on the ice.

We should go after him as a UFA if anything. No point in giving up an asset for him when we could ship out that same asset for the cap space and also get some kind of return on it.

Or maybe we're too jammed up to do that. But Shattenkirk as a rental doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We should go after him as a UFA if anything. No point in giving up an asset for him when we could ship out that same asset for the cap space and also get some kind of return on it.

Or maybe we're too jammed up to do that. But Shattenkirk as a rental doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Well you could get shatty and then trade him at the deadline to the rangers if we fall way far out of it.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Can we afford Shattenkirk going forward though? Would take some moves to free up cap. I'd do it if we could.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can we afford Shattenkirk going forward though? Would take some moves to free up cap. I'd do it if we could.

Why do that instead of just making a run at him as a UFA? That way, we would get a return on the assets we have to move to free up the cap-space, without losing an asset to acquire Shattenkirk.

Unless we get to a point where the playoffs are a real possibility again, we really shouldn't be giving up assets for a UFA.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why do that instead of just making a run at him as a UFA? That way, we would get a return on the assets we have to move to free up the cap-space, without losing an asset to acquire Shattenkirk.

Unless we get to a point where the playoffs are a real possibility again, we really shouldn't be giving up assets for a UFA.

Maybe we can sell him on Tampa much like we did for Callahan to take a little less. We could trade killorn or palat to make room for him if needed. Then we could also try and trade garrison.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

It would give Yzerman more time to perform his Jedi mind trick and get him to sign for less. ;)

Also gives us a test drive. I don't know. Not sure Bishop would return a good long term asset at this point.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It would give Yzerman more time to perform his Jedi mind trick and get him to sign for less. ;)

Also gives us a test drive. I don't know. Not sure Bishop would return a good long term asset at this point.
Yes sell him on no state taxes and a possible Stanley cup! It worked with Callahan! If it can't be done you can flip shatty for picks to the rangers there give us there first rounder like always!

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What's the book on Shatty? I rarely ever get to see him play. It's obvious this dude has peak offensive talent but how good is he defensively?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
If that's yzermans decision then I understand keeping him but if he is going vasy then he needs to trade bishop our season is over anyway.

Pretty much. If Y has decided that Vasi is indeed the future might as well get what we can for Bish. There are worse things than getting Shattenkirk (and Hutton), like letting Bish walk and getting nothing.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It only makes sense to keep Bishop if we're a contender. We clearly aren't. Time to trade him for picks/prospects/young NHL player with a contract. How Yzerman handles the rest of this season and summer is critical. We could have a nice retool and be back in it next season, or we could be in for a long year again.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Disagree that we absolutely have to trade Bishop if we're going with Vasy long term. If we can get something good for Bish that will benefit us going forward then of course we trade him, but if the return is minimal I still think there is value in keeping Bishop around to mentor Vasy for the rest of the season and to ease him into more frequent starts.

This team is going to live or die by Vasy's ability to become at least a solid NHL starter; we all know he has the talent and the work ethic but right now his confidence is shot. Instead of gradually easing him into the starter's role as planned, with Bishop's injury he found it dumped on him all at once, struggled like any young goalie taking on a significant workload for the first time might, and it's had an obvious mental effect on him. If we are indeed going to ride with Vasy going forward we need to get him back on track and keeping his good friend and mentor around for the rest of the year could help with that. We can go back to gradually giving him more and more frequent starts and Bishop can help him develop the mindset that he'll need to be successful. Again, if we get a great offer for Bishop we should take it, but if all we're offered is scraps and spare parts then I'd rather hang onto him in the hopes that he can help us with Vasy.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
What's the book on Shatty? I rarely ever get to see him play. It's obvious this dude has peak offensive talent but how good is he defensively?
Haven't watched him a whole lot, but, to be fair, the bar isn't set very high on this team's D right now. The very vague impression I've gotten is that he's a more mature/polished version of Koekoek with a filthy shot.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Vasi's performance recently would have me question letting go of Bishop right now.

Are we really doubting the best young goaltender in the game because of a 15 game stretch?

Have a bit of faith in him.

I absolutely get some of you wanting to keep Bishop if we're on a spot to win the cup, even though I think Vasi could do it just as well, but at the moment we look like a contender to get a lottery pick so don't see the point. The trade would be great as long as we could extend Shattenkirk for something nice, which I doubt.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Shattenkirk would easily be the #3 on the team (miles away from the next one), and arguably our #2 with the season that Stralman is having.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad