Proposal: Ekholm to WPG

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
For Jets fans on here, how do you see this working out for us? Who do you expose in the expansion draft to protect Ekholm? I assume DeMelo.

We give up 1st + Vesalainen (who was a 1st round pick) + something else to win the bidding war. Then we lose DeMelo in the expansion draft. In return we get Ekholm for 1 year and 1 playoff run + Harkins not being taken in the expansion draft.

Ekholm has to quarantine for 2 weeks, then get his fitness back up to speed without getting injured like PLD did, and then learn our systems in the last 4-5 games before the playoffs start this year.

So our Left D is better, but our Right D is worse. We have high end Left D prospects that are nearly ready (or already ready) but we don't have much in the pipeline for RD.

For me I'm out on trading our 1st, Heinola, Samberg or Perfetti so Ekholm is a pass for me. Just wondering longer term how others see this playing out? Or is the idea we win the cup this year while I can't watch playoffs in person, nor celebrate at a parade, etc and we just figure the rest out later.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
For Jets fans on here, how do you see this working out for us? Who do you expose in the expansion draft to protect Ekholm? I assume DeMelo.

We give up 1st + Vesalainen (who was a 1st round pick) + something else to win the bidding war. Then we lose DeMelo in the expansion draft. In return we get Ekholm for 1 year and 1 playoff run + Harkins not being taken in the expansion draft.

Ekholm has to quarantine for 2 weeks, then get his fitness back up to speed without getting injured like PLD did, and then learn our systems in the last 4-5 games before the playoffs start this year.

So our Left D is better, but our Right D is worse. We have high end Left D prospects that are nearly ready (or already ready) but we don't have much in the pipeline for RD.

For me I'm out on trading our 1st, Heinola, Samberg or Perfetti so Ekholm is a pass for me. Just wondering longer term how others see this playing out? Or is the idea we win the cup this year while I can't watch playoffs in person, nor celebrate at a parade, etc and we just figure the rest out later.
Agree with this.

Ekholm is a good player, Preds are right to ask for 1st plus decent prospect but due to the expansion draft + covid I'm not sure the Jets should be giving that up. We're not that close to being a real contender anyways.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Lol. Yes. Cuz ppl on here are GMs. The reality is Ekholm would sit for 2 weeks. 2nd this year plus a Vesalainen would likely be max. No cdn team gonna give up 1st and top prospects for a dude who will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Ppl always overrated their players on here. You are also. Ekholm ain't what he used to be
So trade for him two weeks earlier? It’s not like he’s a pure rental he’s got another year on his contract in what will likely be a full season this time. Missing out on around 6-8 games ain’t much compared to the 100+ he’d still be there for. It’s not like that pick or prospect is even providing any value to the jets during the season so what does the two week period matter?

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Ekholm is going to be a UFA in 2022. He will be around 32 years old and is deff due for a substantial raise. Any team who trades for him or signs him (Preds included) will have to think twice about the cap hit and or term. To get Ekholm in a trade with that extra year and that low cap hit is going to take a good amount more than a 1st round pick.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015

Exactly this. Unless you're trading for a UFA rental why bother unless it's a significant upgrade to Demelo just to lose him (not saying Ekholm isn't just saying)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->