Ekblad Goal Distance

Discussion in 'Florida Panthers' started by Siignal, Sep 26, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Siignal

Siignal Registered User

I was looking at a few players at Player Goal Scoring Profile Chart and noticed that Ekblad's average goal distance was in the 6.9th percentile, indicating he scores while extremely close to the net relative to ALL players.

Now, I know very little about Ekblad himself and how he plays, but does he really need to be doing all this as a defenseman to put the puck in the net?

Here are his 2017-2018 goals, and a good number of them he is posted up on the back post at Even Strength.

Does this contribute to odd-man rushes against, and would you Florida fans rather see him play safer and take more shots from further? He also had a very high shooting %, and after you watch the video, it's easier to understand why.

Here's Punn's OP https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...s-wrist-snap-slap-etc.2547999/#post-149927885

2. gizmo12688

gizmo12688 #CatsAreComing

Ek gets very involved in the play which isn't a problem as long as someone covers for him. He's got a great shot

3. Punn

Punn Registered User

Thanks for sharing this Siignal. Just one quick note - the percentiles are calculated by position (forward vs. defense) so it's relative to ALL defensemen and not forwards (see the note at the bottom of the dashboard) :)

4. WESEERED

WESEERED #CatsAreComing

One thing I've noticed with him is if he sees an opening he will jump up and go towards the backdoor. I would imagine that's the reason for him being closer on his goals scored than most defensemen.

5. Chino Oscar

Chino Oscar Registered User

Engineer
    Home Page:
    We It’s not like Ekblad is constantly pushing the offense (especially being paired with Yandle), but he has a knack for picking the right time to jump up in the play for the most part.

Pukboy5kroner likes this.
  6. Siignal

Siignal Registered User

Thanks for the clarification, I missed that. Cheers.