Value of: Ekblad / Fla retool

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ekblad plus Barkov for Doughty plus Kopitar.

Who says no
Why would Florida do this? Doughty will be making $11 million per next season and Kopitar is making $10 million per. Doesn't make sense for the Panthers if they're chasing both Bobrovsky and Panarin long term. Just far too much salary there in Florida.

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
I'd assume you're a Sens fan? Based on username.

As stated above by Klabob, itd have to be a pretty good upgrade over what Ekblad is now. Hes made strides in the defensive zone and on pace for his normal 15-16g/35+ pt pace.

Dont see too many scenarios where he is shipped out, we want to add a top 4 RD who is a shutdown guy that can take some defensive zone starts away from Ekblad so he can focus more on offense.

What options did you have in mind? Hopefully not picks or prospects because that doesnt really do much for us now and the owner has given Tallon the mandate to win now (next season) and given the green light to spend where necessary.

As for value,

Ekblad - nearly untouchable, we need more RD not less

Huberdeau - #2/3 RD

Yes I'm a Sens fan. I'm thinking as part of Ottawa rebuilding we should be looking to deal out Duchene and/or Stone and/or Dzingle and/or others and as a major piece bring back an Ekblad type defenseman (Preferably) or a Huberdeau type player with some term and cost certainty. It would be ideal to build around a Chabot/Ekblad pairing going forward.

So I guess I'm getting at, maybe a 3 way deal involving maybe Columbus and swapping Ekblad/Duchene/Panerin and obviously there are other moving parts in the deal. Maybe Sens take back a bad contract, give up another prospect or roster player or two in a bigger deal, whatever that may be.

I just wasnt sure what Florida fans were thinking of whether Ekblad and the Panthers needed a fresh start, similar to what's happening in Ottawa (all be it what's going in Ottawa here is a full on rebuild even though it wasnt necessary)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yes I'm a Sens fan. I'm thinking as part of Ottawa rebuilding we should be looking to deal out Duchene and/or Stone and/or Dzingle and/or others and as a major piece bring back an Ekblad type defenseman (Preferably) or a Huberdeau type player with some term and cost certainty. It would be ideal to build around a Chabot/Ekblad pairing going forward.

So I guess I'm getting at, maybe a 3 way deal involving maybe Columbus and swapping Ekblad/Duchene/Panerin and obviously there are other moving parts in the deal. Maybe Sens take back a bad contract, give up another prospect or roster player or two in a bigger deal, whatever that may be.

I just wasnt sure what Florida fans were thinking of whether Ekblad and the Panthers needed a fresh start, similar to what's happening in Ottawa (all be it what's going in Ottawa here is a full on rebuild even though it wasnt necessary)
You don't start a rebuild/retool by trading a player like Ekblad for UFAs.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Panthers would be pretty dumb to move Ekblad, they should just draft heavy on defenders or trade to acquire some defenders. Panarin and Bobrovsky won’t help them as long as they basically only have 2 good defenseman right now. A Byram, Soderstrom, Seider, Heinola or York could definitely help their future d-core, and perhaps trading Hoffman or Dadonov for a defender. Good example someone had on a previous thread was Hoffman straight up for Barrie. With Makar and Timmins coming up it wouldn’t be a terrible idea for the Aves unless they aren’t fans of Hoffman’s controversy. Maybe even Dadonov and Hoffman for Zadorov and Barrie. Would be crazy, but would help both teams needs.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Ekblad plus Barkov for Doughty plus Kopitar.

Who says no

After Barkov’s sick goal this past week everybody around the world knows his name and wants to trade for him. You do realize he’s a 23yo PPG franchise #1 shutdown center with only a $6 cap hit.

Tallon gives a chuckle and hangs up.

Florida hangs up on that one. First off, the salary difference is ridiculous. Second, why would Florida consider trading a bonafide #1 C for another that is 8 years older? Kopitar is a great player, but he's also 31 while Sasha is only 23.

And has a 4mil less cap hit.

Why would Florida do this? Doughty will be making $11 million per next season and Kopitar is making $10 million per. Doesn't make sense for the Panthers if they're chasing both Bobrovsky and Panarin long term. Just far too much salary there in Florida.

Seems he wants Kings to get younger, faster, and get a cap dump all in one trade but this isn’t NHL 19 on PlayStation.

Reactions: minisharkpanther

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I'd assume you're a Sens fan? Based on username.

As stated above by Klabob, itd have to be a pretty good upgrade over what Ekblad is now. Hes made strides in the defensive zone and on pace for his normal 15-16g/35+ pt pace.

Dont see too many scenarios where he is shipped out, we want to add a top 4 RD who is a shutdown guy that can take some defensive zone starts away from Ekblad so he can focus more on offense.

What options did you have in mind? Hopefully not picks or prospects because that doesnt really do much for us now and the owner has given Tallon the mandate to win now (next season) and given the green light to spend where necessary.

As for value,

Ekblad - nearly untouchable, we need more RD not less

Huberdeau - #2/3 RD

Would it work something around Petry and Huberdeau? Petry isn't purely a defensive guy, but he could mentor a Matheson and complete a solid defensive group. The contracts are even, or close. Huberdeau would bring more in the attacking end. (Or if we go crazy, a trade with Weber, Petry, Ekblad, Huberdeau... but I don't want to start a war haha).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ekblad just turned 23 though, he fits in with our core age and has been trending upwards defensively and on pace for his normal offensive stats. We'd be interested in Stone but only in free agency, we would not trade a core player for the hopes of getting Stone/Duchene locked up long term. Similar to the Bob/Panarin talks for Huberdeau. Just doesn't make sense asset wise to take all the risk of the player signing elsewhere.

If Ekblad was maybe 26-27 and was stalled in his progression, then we could start talking but at this point in Tallon's decade long build, we want to add another top 4 RD to start contending.

As a OTT fan, you just need to recoup 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and a couple prospects for your big 3 UFA free agents and continue to draft and build your new core. I don't think you're too far off, hopefully Dorion can sign some decent stopgap players to shelter your rookies/ELC players. Should be another 2 years and you guys will be on your way to a young and upcoming team.

Would it work something around Petry and Huberdeau? Petry isn't purely a defensive guy, but he could mentor a Matheson and complete a solid defensive group. The contracts are even, or close. Huberdeau would bring more in the attacking end. (Or if we go crazy, a trade with Weber, Petry, Ekblad, Huberdeau... but I don't want to start a war haha).

One guy is 25 with 5 years left and the other is 31 with 2 years left, don't see a deal to be made hear with Petry as the main piece. I created a trade thread for Petry last year and most agreed to it but I'd hope our GM could land a 23-26 yr old top 4 D with term for Huberdeau. Would be pretty shocked if Huberdeau is traded, his chemistry with Barkov is pretty magical and the last 2 games have reminded everyone of what they can do together.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Ekblad just turned 23 though, he fits in with our core age and has been trending upwards defensively and on pace for his normal offensive stats. We'd be interested in Stone but only in free agency, we would not trade a core player for the hopes of getting Stone/Duchene locked up long term. Similar to the Bob/Panarin talks for Huberdeau. Just doesn't make sense asset wise to take all the risk of the player signing elsewhere.

If Ekblad was maybe 26-27 and was stalled in his progression, then we could start talking but at this point in Tallon's decade long build, we want to add another top 4 RD to start contending.

As a OTT fan, you just need to recoup 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and a couple prospects for your big 3 UFA free agents and continue to draft and build your new core. I don't think you're too far off, hopefully Dorion can sign some decent stopgap players to shelter your rookies/ELC players. Should be another 2 years and you guys will be on your way to a young and upcoming team.

One guy is 25 with 5 years left and the other is 31 with 2 years left, don't see a deal to be made hear with Petry as the main piece. I created a trade thread for Petry last year and most agreed to it but I'd hope our GM could land a 23-26 yr old top 4 D with term for Huberdeau. Would be pretty shocked if Huberdeau is traded, his chemistry with Barkov is pretty magical and the last 2 games have reminded everyone of what they can do together.

Fair enough. I tried. Thanks for the answer. What do you think would be the lines next season without trades + Panarin. Would a free agent like Jensen makes sense? He isn't great, but he is still fine and free. Or do you hope for a better player? And what would you be willing to add to dump Reimer (if you consider him as a cap dump). I know its many questions, but I started recently watching all the Panthers games and they are really exciting. A lot of potential and talent. I hope you guys the best.

Reactions: Beezer

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Fair enough. I tried. Thanks for the answer. What do you think would be the lines next season without trades + Panarin. Would a free agent like Jensen makes sense? He isn't great, but he is still fine and free. Or do you hope for a better player? And what would you be willing to add to dump Reimer (if you consider him as a cap dump). I know its many questions, but I started recently watching all the Panthers games and they are really exciting. A lot of potential and talent. I hope you guys the best.
Jensen would make sense, but only if Reimer is bought out and Luongo goes on LTIR. Otherwise, the cap space isn't there and they might just roll with Pysyk or sign a guy like Benn.
Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Borgstrom-Hoffman
Vatrano-Trocheck-Tippett
Hawryluk-Lammikko-Sceviour
Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Jensen
McCoshen-Weegar
Bob
Montembeault

Reactions: Sala90

Ad

Upcoming events