Value of: Ekblad / Fla retool

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
Ok Panther fans. It seems like Florida are interested in Panarin and Bobrovsky and are looking to shake things up and retool. I know Huberdeau has been mentioned as someone who could be made available. I'm wondering who else could be made available and at what cost?

Ekblad @ 7.5 AAV something they might look to move?

Does Luongo have a full no move at this point and are Florida eager to move out his and Reimers contracts to make room for Bob?

What's it cost to acquire a Huberdeau or Ekblad if available?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If Florida is smart they dump Hoffman. Since they are apparently going to go all in on Bob which I think will be a brutal mistake I’ll go with they move Huberdeau for a top 4RD.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ok Panther fans. It seems like Florida are interested in Panarin and Bobrovsky and are looking to shake things up and retool. I know Huberdeau has been mentioned as someone who could be made available. I'm wondering who else could be made available and at what cost?

Does Luongo have a full no move at this point and are Florida eager to move out his and Reimers contracts to make room for Bob?

I'd assume you're a Sens fan? Based on username.

As stated above by Klabob, itd have to be a pretty good upgrade over what Ekblad is now. Hes made strides in the defensive zone and on pace for his normal 15-16g/35+ pt pace.

Dont see too many scenarios where he is shipped out, we want to add a top 4 RD who is a shutdown guy that can take some defensive zone starts away from Ekblad so he can focus more on offense.

What options did you have in mind? Hopefully not picks or prospects because that doesnt really do much for us now and the owner has given Tallon the mandate to win now (next season) and given the green light to spend where necessary.

As for value,

Ekblad - nearly untouchable, we need more RD not less

Huberdeau - #2/3 RD

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lol Florida wouldn't take Nylander for the 1st round pick alone

If leafs want a deal for Ekblad, Marner or Matthews have to be in the conversation
Ekblad isn't worth close to that. So there is no conversation. He has such a limited transition game, that I would honestly have trouble trading Nylander for him. His game isn't great for the NHL. He isn't great at skating it out, and he doesn't have a great outlet pass.

Do you think Ekblad as a player is worth Barkov? That's essentially what you are asking going the other way. Ekblad's value isn't anywhere near that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Ekblad isn't worth close to that. So there is no conversation. He has such a limited transition game, that I would honestly have trouble trading Nylander for him. His game isn't great for the NHL. He isn't great at skating it out, and he doesn't have a great outlet pass.

Do you think Ekblad as a player is worth Barkov? That's essentially what you are asking going the other way. Ekblad's value isn't anywhere near that.

You have no idea how hard it is to find a 1st pairing shutdown D with offence. Ekblad is essentially a young Shea Weber.
I'd have to think it would cost Marner plus

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You have no idea how hard it is to find a 1st pairing shutdown D with offence. Ekblad is essentially a young Shea Weber.
He's not what you are describing. Nothing about his game screams elite outside his shot. His value isn't close to Marner. Not everyone is willing to trade Taylor Hall for Larsson.

If the ask is Marner for a 35 point defender. Don't expect a return call. He doesn't have elite underlying numbers. He's not a great transition player, which is the direction the league is heading.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Would anything from the wild interest you?

Spurgeon + zucker?

I realize that doesn't trim salary for Florida, but is this value in the ballpark for ekblad?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
He's not what you are describing. Nothing about his game screams elite outside his shot. His value isn't close to Marner. Not everyone is willing to trade Taylor Hall for Larsson.

If the ask is Marner for a 35 point defender. Don't expect a return call. He doesn't have elite underlying numbers. He's not a great transition player, which is the direction the league is heading.

It's a silly proposal. Anything less than a 1D won't fetch Ekblad. Those D are the most prized players on every team that has cup aspirations

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Something people don't seem to know about Luongo. He has 3 years left on his contract and they only pay him real money 1,3M$ next season and only 1M$ per season the last two. Yes, his cap hit is high. But will that be a problem for Panthers? I doubth it. So Luongo would be the perfect backup and Reimer gone

Ekblad. He's a no go. We need more quality defense not lose it. Remarkable Ekblad is only -2 on a team thats filled with guys near -20

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
lol Florida wouldn't take Nylander for the 1st round pick alone

If leafs want a deal for Ekblad, Marner or Matthews have to be in the conversation

As someone who genuinely detests Toronto, there is no way a deal sending Ekblad to the Leafs involves either of those names.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a silly proposal. Anything less than a 1D won't fetch Ekblad. Those D are the most prized players on every team that has cup aspirations
No, they aren't. One, Ekbald isn't a legit number 1 D. Two, franchise centers are more valued and tend to impact the game more. Florida may not trade Ekblad for anything less than Marner or Matthews, but they sure aren't getting either of them with Ekblad as the main piece. He's simply not worth that much. Either you incredibly overvalue you Ekblad or you are judging the trade market entirely on the Larsson trade, which was highway robbery by New Jersey.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Ekblad isn’t in the same spectrum as Shea Weber as far as toughness which is what makes Weber what he is outside of his shot. The wind could blow Ekblad over. Really bad comparison.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
How many times do people have to be told that the Panthers aren't "looking to move" anyone? This is all based on one guy saying that maybe they would look to create cap space for Panarin and Bobrovsky (which they don't even really need) by trading Huberdeau. They aren't looking to blow up the team by trading everyone not named Barkov or Trocheck. They sure aren't looking to trade their best defenseman for another forward.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Fair point, he's skating is still holding him back from being a #1. It's not terrible but it's just average.

Would anything from the wild interest you?

Spurgeon + zucker?

I realize that doesn't trim salary for Florida, but is this value in the ballpark for ekblad?

Spurgeon for sure, Zucker doesn't interest at all right now. Can't give up Ekblad though. What about Hoffman - Spurgeon swap? Kind of interesting, both have the exact same cap hit (5.187.500), same contract status (UFAs 2020) and same age (born five days apart). Talk about coincidence.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Trades don't happen in a vacuum. Would you trade Reilly for someone that would play on your third line? Of course not. No team would trade their best defenseman for that. So why would the Panthers trade Ekblad for Nylander? That'd be insane. They are trying to trade wingers for RHD, not the other way around.

If you are depleting your worse position group in a trade to bring in someone to shore up your best position group, of course, it would take a ridiculous overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad