Rumor: Ekblad available

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Yandle has 65% of his starts in OZ as per some sites.
You're nitpicking now and haven't defended or backed up your opinion of Ekblad not being good at all.
I did, read the post I answered you on the GF
and im not nitpicking, because Yandle had Ozone starts at almost 65% doesn't stop Ekblad from starting in the Ozone.... yandle doesn't solo every Ozone start...

Matheson had 47%
Ekblad 47%
Yandle 65%

but Yandle is a Ld and Ekblad ld

I odn't get your point, yes Yandle starts more in Ozone than Ekblad, but they don't have the same Ice time also, so it changes.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Ya his GF% may be down but his assists went up and he was 3rd in even strength points among all defenseman this year.

We had 5 guys who scored 20~ goals this year and would have 6 if Connolly played a couple more games.

What else ya got?
Terrible Hit stats ?
Terrible TK stats ?
Terrible GF stats when his on the ice the other team control the play more often. h'es a #1 RD , do you know a lot of other #1 RD with bellow 50% GF ? I don't.

Those together are simply showing he's a top 4 D, not a top 2

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Terrible Hit stats ?
Terrible TK stats ?
Terrible GF stats when his on the ice the other team control the play more often. h'es a #1 RD , do you know a lot of other #1 RD with bellow 50% GF ? I don't.

Those together are simply showing he's a top 4 D, not a top 2

Natural stat trick:
CF% is 53.78
His actual GF% is 56.56

You realize he wasn't paired with Huberdeau or Barkov all the time, Yandle got those sheltered minutes. He literally took the most DZ starts on FLA as per our beat writers.

He averages more hits than AP, Brodin and Ekholm....

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I did, read the post I answered you on the GF
and im not nitpicking, because Yandle had Ozone starts at almost 65% doesn't stop Ekblad from starting in the Ozone.... yandle doesn't solo every Ozone start...

Matheson had 47%
Ekblad 47%
Yandle 65%

but Yandle is a Ld and Ekblad ld

I odn't get your point, yes Yandle starts more in Ozone than Ekblad, but they don't have the same Ice time also, so it changes.
Looks like Matheson (and Ekblad) take most of the hardest minutes.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
ekblad-ap-png.368524

Look at the xGF% on every one and you will understand why he's such a bad player when he's on the ice.
First pairing RD with a below 50% is atrocious.

Ekblad doesn't have an xGF% below 50% at 5v5 over the last 2 years (the time frame you are showing a picture for). What that is saying is that his xGF% is in the 48th percentile.

Now, you can still say, as you did, that for a first pairing RHD that is atrocious.

You would be wrong, but you are free to say it. The problem is that you, and essentially the entire advanced stats community, are looking at a statistic that reflects Ekblad's deployment and believe instead the stat reflects ability - it doesn't and until the advanced stats community figures out that very basic fact (and they never will) their advanced stats and beliefs about those advanced stats are completely worthless.

There were 12 RHD who played against elite competition so often that their % of TOI vs elite was above the 90th percentile for that two year period. Only 4 of them had an on ice xGF% that was higher than Ekblad - because - and this should go without saying except that the advanced stats community rotted people's brains with terrible statistics - going up against the leagues best players is really, really hard, and doing so usually means that you are being sent out in defensive situations and, in order to preserve your energy for the next time those opposing stars are back on the ice you head off the ice instead of following your teammates up the ice when your team has recovered the puck for those free CFs, xGFs etc. (incidentally that is not just a RHD thing - of the 16 LHDs who have their % of TOI vs elite above the 90th percentile, 9 have a lower on ice xGF% than Ekblad - so overall only 11 of 28 D with a TOI vs elite above the 90th percentile - the 28 D who were trusted by coaches more than any other D to take on the most difficult assignments - had a higher xGF% than Ekblad)

The stats are meaningless without context and proper context is almost impossible to gather.

Yes he has a good offensive read, but that's it.

Pure nonsense.

Btw over 70 GV with 60ish games is bottom of the NHL D. Slavin with similar games had half those GV.

Karlsson has been well over 100 some seasons. This statistic, for D, has to do with not only puck moving (the more you move the puck the more giveaways you will have), but the defensive systems deployed by your team, and the bias of those recording the statistic.

And 30 hit.... 30 hit for a Dzone % > is not physical AT ALL?

So? He threw 114 the season before. And 10 in 4 games this playoffs. You mention is Dzone% - a factor in the number of hits a D throws in his own has to do with deployment and the systems the team plays. He also started the season with a broken nose.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ekblad doesn't have an xGF% below 50% at 5v5 over the last 2 years (the time frame you are showing a picture for). What that is saying is that his xGF% is in the 48th percentile.

Now, you can still say, as you did, that for a first pairing RHD that is atrocious.

You would be wrong, but you are free to say it. The problem is that you, and essentially the entire advanced stats community, are looking at a statistic that reflects Ekblad's deployment and believe instead the stat reflects ability - it doesn't and until the advanced stats community figures out that very basic fact (and they never will) their advanced stats and beliefs about those advanced stats are completely worthless.

There were 12 RHD who played against elite competition so often that their % of TOI vs elite was above the 90th percentile for that two year period. Only 4 of them had an on ice xGF% that was higher than Ekblad - because - and this should go without saying except that the advanced stats community rotted people's brains with terrible statistics - going up against the leagues best players is really, really hard, and doing so usually means that you are being sent out in defensive situations and, in order to preserve your energy for the next time those opposing stars are back on the ice you head off the ice instead of following your teammates up the ice when your team has recovered the puck for those free CFs, xGFs etc. (incidentally that is not just a RHD thing - of the 16 LHDs who have their % of TOI vs elite above the 90th percentile, 9 have a lower on ice xGF% than Ekblad - so overall only 11 of 28 D with a TOI vs elite above the 90th percentile - the 28 D who were trusted by coaches more than any other D to take on the most difficult assignments - had a higher xGF% than Ekblad)

The stats are meaningless without context and proper context is almost impossible to gather.

Pure nonsense.

Karlsson has been well over 100 some seasons. This statistic, for D, has to do with not only puck moving (the more you move the puck the more giveaways you will have), but the defensive systems deployed by your team, and the bias of those recording the statistic.

So? He threw 114 the season before. And 10 in 4 games this playoffs. You mention is Dzone% - a factor in the number of hits a D throws in his own has to do with deployment and the systems the team plays. He also started the season with a broken nose.

Thanks for the in depth look, at work and trying not to get fired debating with Cookie here :laugh:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

Pure nonsense.

Who are the other defenseman with this workload? Where do you get your stats from ?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Who are the other defenseman with this workload? Where do you get your stats from ?

Chara (100th percentile), Dekeyser (100), Weber (99), Schmidt (99) Morrissey (99), McAvoy (98), Greene (98), Edler (98), Tanev (97), Dumoulin (97), Ekblad (97), Lindell (96), McNabb (96), Pulock (95), Hjalmarsson (95), Manson (95), Ristolainen (94), Giordano (94), Lindholm (94), Boro (93), Provorov (93), Hronek (93), MEV (92), Letang (92), Subban (91), Severson (91), Murphy (91).

Obviously within this group there is still significant differences in deployment. For instance Greene and Boro do not play much, but the minutes they do play is both heavily tilted towards defensive zone starts and against extremely high QoC. Whereas D like Ekblad and Provorov both play a ton, tilted towards defensive zone starts, and against extremely high QoC. It is obviously more difficult to play tons of minutes against elite competition than playing less often but still against elite competition.

I get them from the same public tableau page that the person I was responded to used (however, switched to the "MINER" setting).

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Chara (100th percentile), Dekeyser (100), Weber (99), Schmidt (99) Morrissey (99), McAvoy (98), Greene (98), Edler (98), Tanev (97), Dumoulin (97), Ekblad (97), Lindell (96), McNabb (96), Pulock (95), Hjalmarsson (95), Manson (95), Ristolainen (94), Giordano (94), Lindholm (94), Boro (93), Provorov (93), Hronek (93), MEV (92), Letang (92), Subban (91), Severson (91), Murphy (91).

Obviously within this group there is still significant differences in deployment. For instance Greene and Boro do not play much, but the minutes they do play is both heavily tilted towards defensive zone starts and against extremely high QoC. Whereas D like Ekblad and Provorov both play a ton, tilted towards defensive zone starts, and against extremely high QoC. It is obviously more difficult to play tons of minutes against elite competition than playing less often but still against elite competition.

I get them from the same public tableau page that the person I was responded to used (however, switched to the "MINER" setting).
Thanks, interesting list. I actually didn't see who you were responding to is the site publicly know/available?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This was already speculated/confirmed by Friedman

He says Florida is under order to shed money from the backend

Ekblad/Matheson/Yandle/ Stralman

He said the other 3 contracts are untradable and that Ekblad will be the most likely candidate.

let the bidding begin.

I'll start, can anyone beat:

Boeser, 2022 non protected 1st, Nils Hoglander, Jett Woo

for

Ekblad
This is a hell of an offer

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
This is a hell of an offer
If there are serious talks between Vancouver and Florida, this is likely Florida’s first pitch. If anything, I think we’d return with Boeser for Ekblad straight up, with a potential compromise of Boeser + Woo + 2021 2nd for Ekblad + 2022 5th.

Do you take that as a Panthers GM?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If there are serious talks between Vancouver and Florida, this is likely Florida’s first pitch. If anything, I think we’d return with Boeser for Ekblad straight up, with a potential compromise of Boeser + Woo + 2021 2nd for Ekblad + 2022 5th.

Boeser + Woo + 2nd is not enough I'd say
Boeser + Hoglander + 2nd is about the value I'd say. That's withouth considering specific needs.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Boeser + Woo + 2nd is not enough I'd say
Boeser + Hoglander + 2nd is about the value I'd say. That's withouth considering specific needs.
I highly doubt we’d trade Hoglander for anything less than an overpayment, just considering the flashes of brilliance he’s shown. It’s more of a “wait and see” sort of thing with him.

Keep in mind he 45 points in 57 regular season games (65 in 82), and 11 points in 17 playoff games. He’s only 23, and almost 210lbs at 6’1. He’s someone you can rely on in big games and would be a massive piece alongside Barkov and Huberdeau. I think you’re selling him a little short.

We don’t have to make a deal. I’m happy going into next season with a top 6 of:

Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Tofu

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Florida fans have already said no to anything like this.

Stop trading our best defenseman (who has killer stats, defensive play, and an excellent contract) for a sweetheard deal to yourself.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
What Boeser > Nurse
1st 2021 and 2nd 2022= 1st 2020
Hoglander >>> Poolparty
I disagree. A Mid 50,s point winger is equal to a number 3 defenceman and Puljujarvi is going gangbusters right now in Europe right now and looks like he could be a decent player when he comes over next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad