Rumor: Ekblad available

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If we had to trade him, Byram is a reasonable piece. (Issue is why we would have to trade him...maybe if Pietroangelo was coming her?)

I think something like Graves+Byram+Kadri(with reasonable re-sign option with Kadri) could reasonably work if we have something in place

The value is in the ballpark of being fair but I don’t think the Avs do it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
On what planet is Nylander a 2C? He's basically a winger in Toronto and sometime Centerman he's still better on the Wing then at C.
He was being groomed for a position at center ice before the arrival of Tavares. It makes more sense now to provide Matthews and Tavares each with a capable winger. He has 1st line talent on the wing. He is fine at center, his deficit usually lies in the fact that he doesn't usually get a quality winger to play with and he has to fill in a tough role with Tavares or Matthews sitting out. So, he has to adjust to the position without another good player, one that is better than him with him on the line. So, it may seem like he is playing better at wing. Give him someone to play with and some time to mesh and my guess is he holds up better than your average 2C. If the Leafs lost one of their big two centers for whatever reason, I would feel pretty comfortable going forward with Nylander and wouldn't feel the need to look to fill the position with someone else.

Reactions: Feliix

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If we had to trade him, Byram is a reasonable piece. (Issue is why we would have to trade him...maybe if Pietroangelo was coming her?)

I think something like Graves+Byram+Kadri(with reasonable re-sign option with Kadri) could reasonably work if we have something in place
Byram + 1st and Byram, Kadri (with a reasonable re-sign option) and Graves are not even close in terms of value. The Byram + 1st is reasonable, your suggestion is insane.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I don't think it would interest Florida though. There would need to be a significant add.
I don't think there's a deal to be made there at all. If Ekblad is being traded, it's to save money, they'd be looking to cut costs, not add

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Ekblad vs AP
View attachment 368524

Ekblad vs Hedman
View attachment 368525

Ekblad vs Jones
View attachment 368527

Ebklad vs Slavin
View attachment 368528

Ekblad vs Ekholm
View attachment 368529

FLA had a bottom 5 defense the past two years and arguably don't have another legit top 4 D outside Weegar this year.
Yandle, Matheson and Stralman are all overpaid bottom pair guys. Stillman was a rookie this year and Brown is a 6th/7th guy on the team, likely doesn't even get re-signed.

Think it's your turn to go now. Tell us how he isn't that good?
He outscored every single one of those guys 5 on 5 the last two years combined and was tasked with elite QOC while getting the majority of DZ starts.

ekblad-ap-png.368524

Look at the xGF% on every one and you will understand why he's such a bad player when he's on the ice.
First pairing RD with a below 50% is atrocious.

Yes he has a good offensive read, but that's it.

Btw over 70 GV with 60ish games is bottom of the NHL D. Slavin with similar games had half those GV.

And 30 hit.... 30 hit for a Dzone % > is not physical AT ALL?

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
ekblad-ap-png.368524

Look at the xGF% on every one and you will understand why he's such a bad player when he's on the ice.

Unless I'm reading that wrong, Ekblad is getting a Phaneuf/Maple Leafs level of defensive zone starts. I'd think that would contribute heavily to a poor xGF%?

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
For Ekblad I would give

2 big contract, Keith, Maatta, CDH, Murphy or Saad.
+
1 Prospect, Boqvist, Mitchell, Nylander, Strome or AHL(Kurashev...)
+
1st or 2nd pick

2nd pick with Boqvist and Strome, 1st with any other prospect.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I could see Ekblad wanting to play for DET, he owns a house literally 30 min away from Little Caesars, not too mention he's from the area as well as his fiancé. I don't think DET has the pieces to get it done though... But if they are trying to save $$....

To DET - Ekblad and whatever cap dump

To FLA - 2020 1st (4th), Hronek & 2021 1st (Lottery Protected - Top 5). If 2021 1st falls into top 5 (it should) than it turns into an unprotected 2022 1st. I would even offer Mantha instead of the last pick.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
ekblad-ap-png.368524

the read doesn't make sense, Ekblad had a 53% Dzone start and 47% Ozone.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I could see Ekblad wanting to play for DET, he owns a house literally 30 min away from Little Caesars, not too mention he's from the area as well as his fiancé. I don't think DET has the pieces to get it done though... But if they are trying to save $$....

To FLA - 2020 1st (4th), Hronek & 2021 1st (Lottery Protected - Top 5). If 2021 1st falls into top 5 (it should) than it turns into an unprotected 2022 1st. I would even offer Mantha instead of the last pick.
I think Hronek + 2021 first protected is a fair trade for Ekblad

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Closed it down boys!

Rutherford just helped Florida save like $25 million long term by taking Matheson in a trade.

The backend salary shed that the owners were demanding in Florida has just been accomplished.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Polite f*** no
As a Florida fan, I agree with you, although the proposer is my Florida brother.

I didn't realize how good RNH got the past three seasons...

Like I think a package could work under the world where you sign AP and need space, I think you would have looked for a Mike Hoffman+Assets trade if we still had him

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

you’d offer mantha. the 4th and Hronek for Ekblad?
That may be the worst trade i’ve ever seen proposed

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Get real Mantha+Hronek+Detroit 2020 1st round pick 4OA is major overpayment for Aaron Ekblad. Would love him home in Detroit but not at that price. 4OA pick is non negotiable it's not for sale.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
you’d offer mantha. the 4th and Hronek for Ekblad?
That may be the worst trade i’ve ever seen proposed

FLA wouldn't want Mantha anyways if they are trying to save money. Not too mention, he's injury prone and is going to want a big raise. He's not worth whatever contract he is going to sign. Ekblad is worth more than what DET is willing to pay though. Sure it's an overpay, but any deal involving Ekblad will need to be. But a right side of him and Seider is significantly better than a right side of Hronek and Seider.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Doubtful, but would love for the Winnipeg Jets to snag him. He and Morrissey would be an amazing pairing, likely brings the Jets back to contender stats.

The Canucks would be another team where I'd love to see him go. Him joining the Canucks turn them into the best team in the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad