Speculation: EK65 - How much should Ottawa offer him this summer? (hypothetical)

How much would you offer EK65

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Lots of talk around the boards about him testing the waters. Just a dream here...

He is back in town, his wife has her roots here. If PD and EM drank the Koolaid and made an effort to bring him back what would they offer him?

erik-karlsson-012318-getty-ftrjpg_10b5cl424i7x314shaz30m9ic3.jpg

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Imagine if we kept him - we would be forced to offer 8x $10-11... that has the potential to be one of the worst contracts ever if he doesn’t rebound from his injuries.

I doubt insurance companies would even cover that contact.

I wonder if EK will consider 1 year to rebuild his mega value. I can’t see teams giving him 7x10+

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't know. With Stone gone too, I'd like to tank for a year or two. Maybe Karlsson can pull a Lebron if he signs short term with Tampa and comes back when we have more talent and Eugene is gone.

Reactions: Riceroni

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The rumour is that teams might not be willing to go 7 years, and they also won't be willing to go to 11 million.

We apparently offered Stone 7 years, 9.5 million with a 5 year NMC and signing bonuses, or alternatively 5 years @ 10.5 million. The terms of the 5 year contract never were discussed by insiders, but I think it might be safe to assume that if there was a 5 year NMC and bonuses in the 7 year deal, there probably would have also been the same terms in a 5 year deal.

If all of the above is true, 5 years 10.5 million with signing bonuses and a NMC might be in the ball park of a competitive term and AAV for Karlsson.

Assuming we're actually going to "spend close to the cap in 2021" I would be happy if we got him for that. I don't mind taking the risk for that kind of player.

I don't have any insight into his health the same way a team like Ottawa or San Jose who have had him on the roster might, and whether or not any of the rumours about him not wanting to practice or not being a big conditioning guy in the summer are true. Obviously, if there was something astoundingly negative that was true, I wouldn't think it would be worth signing him.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Imagine if we kept him - we would be forced to offer 8x $10-11... that has the potential to be one of the worst contracts ever if he doesn’t rebound from his injuries.

I doubt insurance companies would even cover that contact.

I wonder if EK will consider 1 year to rebuild his mega value. I can’t see teams giving him 7x10+

I would be shocked if he signs 1 year anywhere because of the risk of a 2021 lockout when the contract expires. He is going to get signing bonuses, so he will risk losing out on millions and then having to try and sign another contract after not getting a chance to showcase himself for an entire season (which would be the entire point of a short term contract).

I don't know. With Stone gone too, I'd like to tank for a year or two. Maybe Karlsson can pull a Lebron if he signs short term with Tampa and comes back when we have more talent and Eugene is gone.

I don't think there is a have our cake and eat it too type situation.

A short term deal in Tampa will be at least 2 or 3 seasons because no agent is going to set up a star like Karl to miss out on lockout bonuses by signing a 1 year contract right now. So much can change in 3 seasons. He could sign another long term deal in Tampa.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If Melnyk and Dorion were out, a 5 year $10/year offer gets him listening.

But with them in charge? Ottawa would never reach out to Karlsson's agent, and if they did, he would dismiss it outright. That relationship is over.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

But with them in charge? Ottawa would never reach out to Karlsson's agent, and if they did, he would dismiss it outright. That relationship is over.

You have a source for that information or is that your opinion?

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

Time heals. See Spezza, on both sides, for an example. There will always be a pull to the team you came up in for most players. In this case however, a year is not a lot of time, and probably not enough.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The poll asks what we would offer. I'd throw 7x10m at him personally. Cut bait with Ceci and that's half the cash right there.

The OP asks what Melnyk and Dohrion would offer him. I don't expect any offer at all. I think that bridge is burned and don't believe Melnyk has it in him to put his ego aside. If they did make an offer, I would expect something lowball that would ultimately be declined.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I somehow, some freaking way, envision him playing for Ottawa, likely in the twilight of his career. But dream scenario, 5 x 10 is quite good considering his injury plagued season, again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to say without access to his medical files.

I suspect, but have no way of knowing, that he has a sports hernia. Should be resolvable with surgery. Of note, this year's injury appears completely unrelated to his previous two injuries, both of which were of the freak accident variety; a tendon slice, and a broken foot from a slap shot that playing on exacerbated into a more serious tendon issue. This is the first injury that to me looks at all like it potentially falls into the "body breaking down" mold.

I honestly think some team might get a very team friendly deal for Karlsson if they have the balls to make the offer. Time will tell of course, but his injury history is far less concerning to me than Alfredsson's was at the same age, or Spezza with his back was. Both those guys seemed to have chronic issues which to me is more worrying.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I foresee one of two possibilities happening:
1) Pierre doesn’t bother calling, or
2) EK doesn’t bother picking up the call!

Either way, EK isn’t coming back. Move along.

I think the Sens will kick tires on him late June when all teams can talk. Even if they don't want him, they will want it out there to their fans that they put in an offer. If the Sens genuinely don't want to sign him, it wouldn't be difficult to put out a soft offer and just wait for him to hang up just so they can say they did their best.

On the Senators end of things, the dynamic has changed. They are loaded with assets and have almost all their big money off the books. Ticket sales suck. There'd have to be something the Senators perceive to be seriously wrong with Karlsson for Melnyk/Dorion not to okay the Stone offer. They could basically not re-sign Cody Ceci, and that's half the contract right there. I almost wonder if any delay in a Ceci extension might be the team waiting out free agency. If Ceci gets extended, that would kill the 1 percent chance I think there might be for this team to sign Karlsson because I don't think anybody is taking a 5x5 extended Ceci from us, and I don't think we're paying Ceci 5 if we have Karlsson at 9.5-10.5.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Not concerned at all about the injuries, unless there's something serious under the surface we don't know about. I'd give him $11M like Doughty. If the downside people are scared about with Karlsson is a near point per game player, then that sounds like a safe bet to make. Pierre and Melnyk won't though.

Reactions: Riceroni

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
do you think anyone really needs a source to state that the ottawa-karlsson relationship is over? lmao

You would have to be brain dead to not see the bridge has been burned beyond repair...

To humor OP, since a dream is all it is, I wouldn't offer more than 5 years maxing at 10 or 10.5. He was hurt again these playoffs, a major maaajor red flag. Any long term contract has the serious potential to backfire spectacularly.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yea we desperately need to bottom out and hope we get a top 2 pick.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You'd have to be pretty naive to believe otherwise.

I guess I am. Really thought he wanted a cup run... now the prodigal son wants to return (probably not).

I doubt their is any bad blood, other than his agent wanted more than he was worth. As I still think Ottawa knew his career trajectory was limited by known injuries.

Dreams or nightmares... believe what you want. I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad