Speculation: EJ to the Avs

If/when EJ makes it back to Colorado, which do you think is most likely:

• Trade at the deadline this year through 2 teams, thus 75% retained?

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Signs as a free agent next year (league minimum)?

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs as a free agent, but not this coming year?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs a 1 day contract when he’s ready to retire?

Votes: 28 90.3%

• Total voters

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Given the emotions last night, I believe EJ will be an Av again. It’s just a matter of time :) . What’s most likely? Deadline would be so much fun, which if by some miracle we get EJ and Landy back, I think we win it…

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Given the emotions last night, I believe EJ will be an Av again. It’s just a matter of time :) . What’s most likely? Deadline would be so much fun, which if by some miracle we get EJ and Landy back, I think we win it…
1 day contract when hes ready to retire. I congratulate him for getting another bag before he retires.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
One day contract to retire here. As much as I’d love EJ back because of leadership and chemistry, he’s just not very good anymore and we may possibly have our 6RD in Malinski if he keeps progressing. I just don’t see a spot on this roster for EJ anymore.

Makar
Toews
Byram
Manson
Girard
JJ
Malinski
Jones
Hunt

I see EJ slotting between Malinski and Jones, and I don’t foresee EJ wanting the be 8th Dman on the depth chart.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I know it was silly, and he’ll never play for us again, but EJ will retire an Av guaranteed.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If his contract was 1.5 vs 3.25 I would have put money on a trade deadline pickup with 50% retained for a later pick. Perfect add on leadership, plug and play 6/7/8 D man.

However, with the 1.625 hit at 50%, I think that gets too rich for the Avs blood given that they will likely be using whatever cap space they can to find forward depth, goaltending, and/or a bigger upgrade on D.

It gets too complicated to get a 3rd team involved to retain more in regards to the outright value of adding EJ and what you give up to get a 3rd team to retain.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If EJ is brought back, he'll likely be a #7 type in a healthy lineup. Avs would be hard pressed to find a better candidate for that role than EJ.

Don't judge by his play last night. Buffalo has him playing on the left which is a terrible idea for him. He's almost never played there in his career. Maybe 5 games at most, mostly trying him with Barrie, before they realized that wasn't going to work.

Whoever the Avs bring in as a 7D will have a learning curve like all players adjusting to the Avs system, and if they're not playing games, they won't have much time to get reps in. EJ doesn't need that, he's already very familiar with how they play.

The question is what else they have planned for the deadline, in addition to Kovalenko, and would they have enough cap space? At a prorated 50%, EJ will probably cost around $400k towards the cap.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I still rate EJ playing for the avs again slightly more probable than Landeskog playing for the avs again.

• Wow
Reactions: The Moops

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Seriously though, I wouldn't mind getting EJ back. Not sure how it could be possible

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3