Great Britain: EIHL Hockey While Touring?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Early planning for a 2021 holiday in Great Britain (primarily England & Wales, but could visit southern Scotland if time permits). Initial schedule would have my wife & me traveling during March '21, based on later calendar conflicts of some friends of ours living in Letchworth Garden City who we want to visit while we're nearby. Any suggestions for 2 or 3 EIHL hockey stops as part of a 2 to 3 week GB touring itinerary would be appreciated from native or frequently traveling HFB members. Unique buildings & unusual game atmospheres would enhance our first hockey experiences outside of North America. Cheers!

Reactions: SemireliableSource

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Cardiff and Sheffield. Best of both worlds, a small arena and a big one, both teams have a good following and both will likely still be in the title race in March. You could try to get the tickets to the football game as well in one of those spots, I think it would be more of an experience.

Guildford would also be a viable hipster pick depending on the geography of your travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigafan and JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@SoundAndFury: Ice hockey is our passion, football no more than a mild curiosity. We're not now nor ever hipsters, but I'll take all three of your stopover suggestions under advisement. Thanks for the reply.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I understand but hockey experience isn't going to be that much different in the U.K. compared to the U.S., football, on the other hand, isn't really something you have on that scale back home. The whole gameday experience, visiting pubs around the stadium, etc., I definitely recommend not to miss out on things you can't really get elsewhere in the world, even if you won't get tickets to the game itself (which wouldn't be that surprising in Sheffield).

Anyway, regarding hockey, you can check out some of the NIHL rinks as well if those happened to be on the way, some of those might be worth visiting as well. But again, that depends on what exactly are you looking for.

Reactions: JMCx4

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
You're making me jealous, JMC. I wish I could head over to the UK/Europe to catch some hockey. I even periodically check to see if I could somehow land a job working for an EIHL team . lol

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@SemireliableSource: If you had a 40th wedding anniversary pending to a lovely wife who has been promised a trip to England for at least 15 years, you'd probably be as motivated as I am to make the journey worthwhile for all parties involved. :bow:

Reactions: SemireliableSource

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
If you're going to be in Letchworth, I would suggest (games permitting) Coventry, Nottingham and Sheffield. As SAF says above, there is the option of NIHL as well, with Milton Keynes being pretty convenient from Letchworth and likely to have a very competitive team

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@buzzbee: Our trip for Spring 2021 has been postponed, but I'll save your suggestions for planning purposes when we reschedule. Cheers!

Reactions: buzzbee

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
Sorry to hear that, though understandable!
I am hoping to do the reverse next year (Coming from UK and probably visiting NY and another city to be decided), maybe late September, early October, so just hoping the world is in a better state by then

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sorry to hear that, though understandable!
I am hoping to do the reverse next year (Coming from UK and probably visiting NY and another city to be decided), maybe late September, early October, so just hoping the world is in a better state by then
If I were you, I'd pick "a better state" than New York for a visit even 16 months from now. Maybe Montana or Wyoming. Somewhere with a very small population density, just to hedge your COVID curve flattening bet. Good luck, and healthy travels.

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
As SoundandFury as said, Cardiff and Sheffield would be the best options, then followed by Nottingham and Belfast (although Belfast isn't easy to get to if you are not planning on a Northern Ireland trip). Braehead have a nice arena but they are up in Glasgow.

Sheffield I would put at the number 1 choice. They have a real arena, around 9k seats and regularly get around 6k or more fans per game. Its a decent atmosphere, probably on par with NA style with more of a soccer chants and rowdyness to it.

If you could time yourself with a Sheffield v Nottingham or Sheffield v Manchester game that would be even better.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@Rigafan: The friend we'll be visiting is a Manc by birth, so maybe we could persuade him to join us for a Storm v Steelers match.

Filing your post away for future reference. Thank you, and be well.

Reactions: Rigafan

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
@Rigafan: The friend we'll be visiting is a Manc by birth, so maybe we could persuade him to join us for a Storm v Steelers match.

If you want a Canadian born Cardif Devil fan to tag along let me know--I think you will hold the fact I live in East London against me more than being a Devils fan

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Please, please go to Sheffield to watch the game! Manchester's rink isn't very good I'm afraid!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->