Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Yea, Lukko is well aware that it will be a very physical game and by the way Nottingham signed players it looks to me like they are trying to goon their way through, but how on earth will that work when pretty much every team is miles better and just as Physical (if needed)
was hoping the canadian bar in London would show this game but doubt it.

im guessing Nottingham will pretty much be 4vs5 throughout the whole game haha

Gooning it up has never been how Panthers have played and hopefully never will be.

4-2 and 10-1 losses.

only one period where they were completely outclassed as i expected them to be and that was the 2nd in the Lulea game.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Gooning it up has never been how Panthers have played and hopefully never will be.

4-2 and 10-1 losses.

only one period where they were completely outclassed as i expected them to be and that was the 2nd in the Lulea game.

Ive followed EIHL for a good while and the dirtiest team out there is definately Panthers.
And when a team is averaging 23.5 penalty minutes a game and then manages to get 53 penalty minutes in only 2 playoff games says otherwise.
Also signing players like Greg Jacina which is purely on the ice to fight. Same, and only reason why they got Brent Henley aswell.

Thank god He's gone atleast, never could stand him haha

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Ive followed EIHL for a good while and the dirtiest team out there is definately Panthers.
And when a team is averaging 23.5 penalty minutes a game and then manages to get 53 penalty minutes in only 2 playoff games says otherwise.
Also signing players like Greg Jacina which is purely on the ice to fight. Same, and only reason why they got Brent Henley aswell.

Thank god He's gone atleast, never could stand him haha

Every team in the league hires one guy just to fight

That playoff average has 27 minutes from one player, Matt Francis who had 82 pims on the entire season...

So yeah one guy getting a game misconduct which is out of character = dirty team.

Multiple other teams have higher PIM totals than the Panthers did over the last few years.

So easy to manipulate stats to prove a point, maybe you should try watching the games, because 'following' the league isn't giving you much of an insight.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Biznasty is back!! :laugh:

Further reinforcing the premise of "professional" hockey

In fairness he's a much better hockey player than the vast majority of EIHL imports as we saw with his last stint in Cardiff. He actually had some talent in the lower tiers but fighting was his only way to make it to the show. I would have done the same thing lol

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
In fairness he's a much better hockey player than the vast majority of EIHL imports as we saw with his last stint in Cardiff. He actually had some talent in the lower tiers but fighting was his only way to make it to the show. I would have done the same thing lol

Yeah he's a good player on the ice but like a lot of the good players in the EIHL he's also a bit of a sideshow off the ice :laugh:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This may seem like an ignorant question, but why doesn't the EIHL and the EPIHL merge into one league? Is there a big difference in the quality of both leagues to where they couldn't merge?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This may seem like an ignorant question, but why doesn't the EIHL and the EPIHL merge into one league? Is there a big difference in the quality of both leagues to where they couldn't merge?

Yes, and because of the difference in financial resources the clubs have

There's already a massive gap between the top and the bottom of the EIHL. Nottingham, Belfast and Sheffield have big arenas that seat several thousand and have the fan base to fill them, while Edinburgh sometimes rock up to games with 11 skaters

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Yes, and because of the difference in financial resources the clubs have

There's already a massive gap between the top and the bottom of the EIHL. Nottingham, Belfast and Sheffield have big arenas that seat several thousand and have the fan base to fill them, while Edinburgh sometimes rock up to games with 11 skaters

Wow. That bad eh?

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Grimaldi is a special kind of dumb. He's actually known as a very good guy off the ice, a great team mate and a real solid guy.

On the ice he just loses control and will do stuff like this no matter how many times he's been warned.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Grimaldi is a special kind of dumb. He's actually known as a very good guy off the ice, a great team mate and a real solid guy.

On the ice he just loses control and will do stuff like this no matter how many times he's been warned.

Doubt you have spent time with him off the ice then because in Trondheim where je played for Rosenborg he was banned from severalcplaces for being a total ass. his teammates hated him and he even managed to piss off the fans on several occasions outside of hockey. even his roomie couldnt stand him.

Only reason hes been in this league is because they want goons and its not the right way to play hockey. why he got signed again is beyond me.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Doubt you have spent time with him off the ice then because in Trondheim where je played for Rosenborg he was banned from severalcplaces for being a total ass. his teammates hated him and he even managed to piss off the fans on several occasions outside of hockey. even his roomie couldnt stand him.

Only reason hes been in this league is because they want goons and its not the right way to play hockey. why he got signed again is beyond me.

I don't know how he managed to piss off the fans on several occasions. It's not like he was with the club for very long. And quoting an ex teammate from his time in Rosenborg in Norwegian media today: " He's the nicest guy in the world off the ice. When he steps on the ice something happens and 'bam!' he loses it."

Quote is from Niklas Unger Nilsen, a real heart and soul guy. Also heard nice things about G from other guys.

But clearly, no one likes a player who hurts the team, and his goonery did noting to help Rosenborg or any of his other clubs.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
on a more positive note, there are rumours of the Echo Arena in liverpool getting an ice plant and playing host to a hockey team. And obviously Cardiff upgrading from the Tent will be good.

So hopefully more teams will be able to compete soon, and a London team surely can't be too far away

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
on a more positive note, there are rumours of the Echo Arena in liverpool getting an ice plant and playing host to a hockey team. And obviously Cardiff upgrading from the Tent will be good.

So hopefully more teams will be able to compete soon, and a London team surely can't be too far away

there are teams dressing 12 players as is... last thing the EIHL needs is to expand.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Article about the Department of Player Safety

"The Elite Ice Hockey League and why you SHOULDN’T choose to come here to play"

https://allzo.wordpress.com/2015/02...why-you-shouldnt-choose-to-come-here-to-play/

I could write an article titled "The Elite Ice Hockey league and why you SHOULDN'T choose to come here to play."

Article would simply be this list:
-You might get slashed in the face
-Speared while you're on the ice
-Kicked
-Punched while you're on the bench
-Punched by someone on the bench while you're on the ice
-'Coaches' throw water bottles on the ice like a 12 year old child

and I'm sure there's a lot I could add to the list.

Ill Woods

Dec 16, 2008
I attended the Belfast Giants/Nottingham Panthers game on Saturday while visiting N.Ireland and I have to say, it blew away my expectations. First off, my girlfriend and I couldn't buy two seats beside each other due to demand (looked like a sellout with almost no empty seats) although they did mention that it was the largest crowd they've had in 12 years. Gameplay was obviously not NHL quality, but for a game where Kevin Westgarth is the only recognizable name, there were spots of pretty good play. Reffing was pretty lax as well from a NA standpoint, lots of hooks and slashes gone uncalled, but they generally kept order and let the game flow. The best part however, was the energy in the arena ... fans seemed very knowledgeable and Nottingham had a really vocal group of traveling supporters. Good time all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->