Post-Game Talk (GBU): Eichel HABits remain the same

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I don't see how you can objectively watch the game and still blame Risto. At least 3 of those goals against he did everything hes supposed to do. Matter of fact Risto was probably the least brain dead defenseman on the team today.

4 on 2 and nobody backchecked.

2 on 1 because Reinhart gave away the puck at the blue line.

Bogo loses his man and Eichel doesn't stick lift or do anything to his guy.

You can blame the shorty attempt on him I guess but at that stage of the game it hardly mattered.

Risto wasnt to blame for the goals, they still got caved in when he was out there

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Do we want Housley fired at this point? He seems to be doing a pretty good job of driving the tank. Is the morale boost of him being fired worth it?

I predicted this team would finish 25th about a month or so ago..now its looking like 27th is highly likely with a small chance of 28th.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think Chainshot's post just about covers it.

I've tried to be patient with Housley. The best I can say about him is that he's not the worst coach in the league, and that the talent level on this team is pretty low. He's probably not as bad as some of the posters on here make him out to be. That being said, he should absolutely be fired before the season ends. There's simply no excuse for how this team has been playing. If Boterrill is insistent on keeping him, you can fire him as well
I'm not so sure about that.

Reactions: Rasmi

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Do we want Housley fired at this point? He seems to be doing a pretty good job of driving the tank. Is the morale boost of him being fired worth it?

I predicted this team would finish 25th about a month or so ago..now its looking like 27th is highly likely with a small chance of 28th.

No! Keep him around until the season is over. I doubt we win more than 2 games the rest of the season.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Has Phillis ever thought they played a bad game? His whole coaching strategy is to fluff them into wins. You guys played great tonight! Gosh darn it we deserved that one! O well we’ll get em next time boyz! If we hire another laissez-faire coach I’m giving up.

At least Nylander has given me a smidgen of hope.
It's a situation where the entire Sabres organization has become the Stepford Wives. Nylander is still in orientation but it won't be long before he's stepfordized. I don't know who's pulling the strings. Who stands to benefit? Is it someone seeking revenge?

Reactions: sabremike

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Picture in my head while reading that
85642736-First_Appearance_Opie_Taylor_2_.jpg
That's Phil during the press conference. During the game it's more like this:
Don_Knotts_Andy_Griffith_Show_Cropped.jpg

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just wanna add- Sheary has some god awful hands.

Anyways, I'm as impatient with Phil as anyone, but who's available right now? I don't really want Q- Hawks fans seem to think he's kind of a relic who can't adjust, and that doesn't sound great moving into the future. Wouldn't want to poach an AHL coach when they're heading into playoffs.. it'd be nice to get an interim guy who could maybe convince Botts to send Thompson down, bench Marco, get Eichel into some better habits, etc. Basically be a bad guy and try out a new system. We'd still lose, but at least we might start seeing signs of not sucking. Otherwise it's Housley to the end of the season, and I'm ok with that, as long as it isn't actually past this year.

edit- I know there's no way an interim coach would get Botts to demote golden boy Tage, but I figure firing Housley before season's end is a pipe dream already so might as well go all in.

Last edited:

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Montour was good again tonight. I will give Botts credit for that. I do that trade again 10/10. Even if the first is STL. But he needs to be paired with a D-man solid in our own zone. With Dahlin I feel like his talents aren’t being maximized. They both need a defensive D-man

Reactions: Franson

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think Chainshot's post just about covers it.

I've tried to be patient with Housley. The best I can say about him is that he's not the worst coach in the league, and that the talent level on this team is pretty low. He's probably not as bad as some of the posters on here make him out to be. That being said, he should absolutely be fired before the season ends. There's simply no excuse for how this team has been playing. If Boterrill is insistent on keeping him, you can fire him as well

Just out of curiosity, who is the worst coach in the league?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
59 point season pace since the win streak ended 49 games ago.

38 point season pace over the last 17 games. :eek:

Reactions: Fearnot

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Montour was good again tonight. I will give Botts credit for that. I do that trade again 10/10. Even if the first is STL. But he needs to be paired with a D-man solid in our own zone. With Dahlin I feel like his talents aren’t being maximized. They both need a defensive D-man

We have 0

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
G:
If Taylor and ROC keep giving us NHL level players (Nylander, Smith and O'Regan) I am thrilled to see what else we can get from them.

B: Everything else

U: I have never hated a team like I hate this team. From Jack dropping his head after every play, to terrible shots, horrendous passing, lack of fight or physicality from anyone and the stand pat attitude of Botts.

If I am Pegula, I fire Housley ,myself, in front of Botts and then just stare at Jason and ask him why he is still in the room when there is scouting that needs to be done with his job dependent on it.

Reactions: kobe808lak

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
We have 0

Exactly and that’s the problem. It would be nice if a) we get a decent coach & b) Scandella turns it around next year. That way we only need to fill one spot.

Dahlin-xxx
Scandella (of last year) - Montour
Pilut-McCabe/Bogo

Hopefully at least one of Borgen/ Samuelsson become regulars.

Haven’t seen much of Methot because he’s been injured all year but if he isn’t shot I’d sign him and let Dahlin play right side.

Or try a Risto swap for Larsson/ Manson type

Last edited:

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
G:
If Taylor and ROC keep giving us NHL level players (Nylander, Smith and O'Regan) I am thrilled to see what else we can get from them.

Maybe when Botts asks Taylor about if players are ready, and Taylor, who sees that his young guys are getting wasted by Phil, just says "nope, not ready yet"

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
On a positive note, Eichel is now tied for 34th with Curtis Brown (252) in all time franchise scoring.

But when you get 26 goals and 53 points combined from your 2nd and 4th most expensive players its not a shock that we missed the playoffs, among other (COACHING) reasons. Okposo has FOUR more years at 6 per and he has not and clearly never will score 20+ goals or 50+ points in a season for us. He will not even hit 30 points this year. I honestly think we are better off waiving him to Rochester and taking the 5 mil cap hit. Okposo is just awful and now that he is turning 31 with a multitude of concussions he is going to get worse and worse. Thank god Poms is gone this summer. Do not want him back even for the vet minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad