Post-Game Talk (GBU): Eichel HABits remain the same

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Again, dumb to be focusing on Eichel.

He was poor but he still at least produced.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
G: I moved the new 4K HDTV into the living room. Going to get a UHD Bluray player for it tomorrow, most likely, and some movies. :)

B: Sabres game is the first thing I watched on it. :(

U: Sabres hockey. First game I've watched in a few... I did my part in defending the team this offseason and this year, but I'm so disconnected now. I dunno who to blame, I don't really care at this point. Start with getting rid of Housley and go from there.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Jacknphilposter.jpg

The only way to vent my frustration right now. And I don't know what I'm doing, which kinda makes me the Housley of Photoshop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

- Nylander's goal was good.
- Liked the Reinhart goal, nice feed from Mitts after Montour was everywhere.
- Montour was pretty good for about 2 periods.
- Hutton actually was good.
- Dahlin to 40 points.

The Bad:

...where to begin?
The team needs a change behind the bench. Don't chicken out and do it over the summer. Don't drag feet waiting to let him go. Do it now, make the players have to deal with it for the last few weeks of the season in the press, but f***ing fire the dufus behind the bench. Replace him with Payne as an interim and go shopping for someone who has a clue this summer.

The defense is hapless. The forwards don't come back (see the Dahlin forecheck as a prime example) or the D cough up the puck (all of them) and it's terrible. Bad pinches? Bad partner-to-partner passing? Bad outlets? No outlets? Like... when will this change because it's the same bullshit from last year? Oh, that's right, it's the unexperienced doofer behind the bench again.

The forwards are an embarrassingly soft and slow lot. Okposo... thought it was going to burn them later than this, but that guy is a husk. Pominville? Too slow again tonight, which is the hallmark of his return to Buffalo -- thanks Fletcher, that poison pill keeps giving. Of course Sobotka was turdy.... But it's the guy who have to grow the f*** up who drove me the most crazy tonight. Reinhart trying dangles with no one behind him at the blueline leads to a goal against in the same why Jack picking Sam in the last game -- it's a stupid, avoidable mistake. Sheary for an effort player... isn't and hasn't been in his own zone for most of the season. Mittelstadt was responsible for 2 goals against, directly -- the kid has to learn, but man, tonight was a microcosm of his lack of polish. Jack going 1-on-3 five or six times and losing the puck every time. Gus getting stupid to salt the game away. And all of this with very low physical engagement. Like... wtf.

Ugly:

That we turned out harder than the team did.
That Housley still has a job.
That Botterill still has a job.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't see how you can objectively watch the game and still blame Risto. At least 3 of those goals against he did everything hes supposed to do. Matter of fact Risto was probably the least brain dead defenseman on the team today.

4 on 2 and nobody backchecked.

2 on 1 because Reinhart gave away the puck at the blue line.

Bogo loses his man and Eichel doesn't stick lift or do anything to his guy.

You can blame the shorty attempt on him I guess but at that stage of the game it hardly mattered.

Member 308457

I'm so ashamed of this team. I hope they fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fearnot

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't see how you can objectively watch the game and still blame Risto. At least 3 of those goals against he did everything hes supposed to do. Matter of fact Risto was probably the least brain dead defenseman on the team today.

4 on 2 and nobody backchecked.

2 on 1 because Reinhart gave away the puck at the blue line.

Bogo loses his man and Eichel doesn't stick lift or do anything to his guy.

You can blame the shorty attempt on him I guess but at that stage of the game it hardly mattered.
I missed the 3rd period because our cat got legit stuck behind the washer-dryer, but the goals I saw weren't on Risto. From what I recall the odd man rushes were covered fine, that's just what happens on odd man rushes.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

Hey, at least Phil thinks the way they played goes in the G column! Moral victories!

Has Phillis ever thought they played a bad game? His whole coaching strategy is to fluff them into wins. You guys played great tonight! Gosh darn it we deserved that one! O well we’ll get em next time boyz! If we hire another laissez-faire coach I’m giving up.

At least Nylander has given me a smidgen of hope.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Has Phillis ever thought they played a bad game? His whole coaching strategy is to fluff them into wins. You guys played great tonight! Gosh darn it we deserved that one! O well we’ll get em next time boyz! If we hire another laissez-faire coach I’m giving up.

He called them out a while back...they did not respond

Reactions: Ralonzo

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I think Chainshot's post just about covers it.

I've tried to be patient with Housley. The best I can say about him is that he's not the worst coach in the league, and that the talent level on this team is pretty low. He's probably not as bad as some of the posters on here make him out to be. That being said, he should absolutely be fired before the season ends. There's simply no excuse for how this team has been playing. If Boterrill is insistent on keeping him, you can fire him as well

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I think Chainshot's post just about covers it.

I've tried to be patient with Housley. The best I can say about him is that he's not the worst coach in the league, and that the talent level on this team is pretty low. He's probably not as bad as some of the posters on here make him out to be. That being said, he should absolutely be fired before the season ends. There's simply no excuse for how this team has been playing. If Boterrill is insistent on keeping him, you can fire him as well
How often has it happened though, someone getting fired after the season is lost, at the end of the season?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How often has it happened though, someone getting fired after the season is lost, at the end of the season?

We're gonna be the first team to miss the playoffs after being in 1st place overall at the end of November. We can be one of the rare teams to pull this kind of firing, too.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017

That's a fair question. Have any coaches been fired this close to the end of the season? I can't think of any off the top of my head

I guess it's not the end of the world if Housley finishes this season, but if he's our coach to start the 2019-2020 season I might just lose hope. This reminds me of the Dick Jauron days as head coach of the Bills....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad