Value of: Ehlers & Trouba

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers and Trouba would return a ton because they represent two of the hottest commodities on the market - young scoring talent on a good deal, and a #1 RD.

But I don't see the logic in the Jets moving Ehlers to make room for Stone, who is older and arguably not much better in terms of overall impact. Stone will also be much more expensive, and competing for ice-time with Wheeler and Laine.

Jets might need to move Trouba next off-season (though I expect one more serious round of negotiations on a long-term deal), but I would look at futures or a trade for a comparable NHLer, perhaps with some smaller pieces on either side.

Reactions: Hunter368

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think if you are looking to move both, do it in separate moves...
They aren't going to move Ehlers for a ton of reasons, not least of which is his great contract. Imagine if the Leafs were able to sign Nylander for $6m x 7 years. How likely would they be to trade him? The same thinking applies to Ehlers with the Jets.

Reactions: Hunter368

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They aren't going to move Ehlers for a ton of reasons, not least of which is his great contract. Imagine if the Leafs were able to sign Nylander for $6m x 7 years. How likely would they be to trade him? The same thinking applies to Ehlers with the Jets.
Oh, i agree...just going with the premise of the thread.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
In a scenario where we have to trade trouba, I'd be looking at stone. I bet he'd be willing to sign at home too. He's a selke level winger.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just to be clear, I’m talking about a deal including both Ehlers and Trouba next off-season.

Ehlers out at 6m
If Trouba is re-signed for last RFA year at conservative number equal to this year’s value, out at 5.5m

Stone in at 8m
D prospect in at 0.925
C prospect in at 0.925

Net savings of 1.65m

Would the two be enough to start talks on Sergachev, Heiskanen, Makar, or Chabot? What about a tier below like Sanheim, Liljegren, Bean?

Edit: I love Ehlers, but there will come a day where we need to give up wingers for other pieces in this organization. Laine is never being traded, and Wheeler won’t get return much value by the team his NTC is done. I think Connor is the preferred winger for our team given how much praise he gets from Maurice and the leadership core.

Ehlers would be a great add, but its a luxury we cant afford. We currently have Giroux and JVR penciled in as the top 6 for the next 5 years or so.

Hell, Even Sanheim can't really be moved as we dont have much left in the pool to take his spot at this point. If were going to try and acquire Trouba the D centerpiece woul dhave to be Myers, and thats understandable a no-go from the Jets end. But we dont really have a spare top 4 LHD at the moment.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In a scenario where we have to trade trouba, I'd be looking at stone. I bet he'd be willing to sign at home too. He's a selke level winger.
Jets have a ton of talent up front. If they move Trouba, they would need to fill his gap on D as a higher priority than another winger (with a roster that already has Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers and Connor).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad