Injury Report: Ehlers out indefinitely with eye injury

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
not the first time a visor breaking causes more damage then a puck would;ve. has to be a way to fix that ?

I don't think we can assume it would have been less damage without the visor. More likely worse but we can't know that either.

Maybe without the visor he loses an eye or maybe it merely smashes his cheekbone.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Your vision is reduced a fair bit with a cage. Yes it's possible to play with one obviously, but players are not going to be happy with a rule that hurts their ability to play. Your peripherals are quite a bit worse. With how fast the NHL game is every little advantage matters. It obviously wouldn't effect a player like Thorburn as much as someone like Wheeler, players with great vision on the ice will not want to lose that advantage. Obviously it's not equaling that out of anything ridiculous, but like I said every little advantage matter at the speed and skill the NHL guys play at.

I guess when I think of cages in the NHL I'm thinking more of a partial cage as opposed to the full bird cage that players wear in other leagues today. When I last played official organized hockey I wore a cage and there were no vision reduction issues at all, but that cage was eventually banned because a stick could still get thru the eye hole or from below. Played a lot of hockey in that cage ( wore it in beer leagues as well ) and I never had a stick get thru the bars. But it stopped it's share of pucks. Something like this.

!BurhIuQEWk~$%28KGrHqV,!iUEv1+0E6H9BMBVTl51U!~~_35.JPG

The NHL is out of the realm of the CSA and can do what they want, so if the main goal is to stop pucks from hitting the face, then a cage like I wore would do it and the players wouldn't even notice it IMO, other than you couldn't punch someone in the face if you are wearing it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only if you wear them outside the cage.

Huh?

Puck comes through hole in cage. Hits goggle. Drives it into eye socket. Might dissipate some of the energy but not a lot.

That pictured cage with something like the current half visor over (or under) it might work. There have been problems with sticks getting caught under the lower edge of the visors too so they certainly have flaws.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Huh?

Puck comes through hole in cage. Hits goggle. Drives it into eye socket. Might dissipate some of the energy but not a lot.

That pictured cage with something like the current half visor over (or under) it might work. There have been problems with sticks getting caught under the lower edge of the visors too so they certainly have flaws.

I thought you implied the joke I made about wearing the goggles outside the cage because clearly the puck cannot enter the cage. Only danger is from a stick and that's why I suggested the goggles.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Listening to Maurice and doing a little reading looks like Ehlers injury is not too serious. Approx a week or so to heal and likely a little time after that to get back skating. I'd expect him back in 10-14 days. I know some people have questioned the visor but my guess is it saved a much more serious injury. The kid will be wearing a patch and having some bed rest for a few days.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He was stopped on a 2on1, then quite impressively backchecked to tie his man up in front of the Jets net. It was then that the puck bounced off his eye, to the tape of the other player and in the net. A very unlucky play, but this will help the tank immensely and give a spot to another prospect to show what he's got.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Listening to Maurice and doing a little reading looks like Ehlers injury is not too serious. Approx a week or so to heal and likely a little time after that to get back skating. I'd expect him back in 10-14 days. I know some people have questioned the visor but my guess is it saved a much more serious injury. The kid will be wearing a patch and having some bed rest for a few days.

Based on Maurice's comment about "blood in the eye chamber" I suspect that Ehlers has a hyphema.

Depending on how much blood there is it could be more than two weeks.

chala-kenenisaophtha-seminarppt-28-638.jpg

12115_02XB.jpg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Based on Maurice's comment about "blood in the eye chamber" I suspect that Ehlers has a hyphema.

Depending on how much blood there is it could be more than two weeks.

chala-kenenisaophtha-seminarppt-28-638.jpg

12115_02XB.jpg

Agreed. But based on Mo's comments it is probably a mild case which is approx a week to clear up. There seemed to be no major trauma and was no rushing to the hospital. Rather it seems like there was some pooling overnight.

204*

How can you say that? Had the puck hit him in the eye what damage would have been done? A puck in the eye ended Paul Maurice's playing days.

what if the puck was gonna hit him in the cheek or nose? we dont know if it was gonna hit him any where near the eye.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I had a right-eye hyphema about a month ago. Looked terrifying but mostly healed by 2 weeks and gone by 3, though still some blurry vision/extra tearing. Glad to hear Electric's on the mend -- that was a remarkable string of unfortunate incidents.

J

Derfel*

You have to grow up with it. The kids that have been wearing full cages from the time they started playing have no problem.

Growing up I used a cage. Turned 16, went to half-visor and after the first few games, tried the cage again. No way.

All of the current NHL players will have grown up with cages until age 16.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Anybody know how long such an injury in the worst case lasts? Really hope he would be ready for the WC

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Anybody know how long such an injury in the worst case lasts? Really hope he would be ready for the WC

From what I've read you just have to wait until the blood dissipates. As short as a week if mild a little longer maybe. Lots of bed rest and a patch and no physical exertion while recovering. But the medical report today seemed to be on the positive side.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
From what I've read you just have to wait until the blood dissipates. As short as a week if mild a little longer maybe. Lots of bed rest and a patch and no physical exertion while recovering. But the medical report today seemed to be on the positive side.

Patch eh?

Nik Ehlers the danish pirate of the prairies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->