Ehlers moving to centre

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers moving "for a" centre might be a more interesting title. Good cap hit, decent value, but too soft right now and without my crystal ball I don't know if that'll ever change. He's young so there's always the benefit of the doubt, but Connor is already outplaying him and we need a 2C more than we need a 60 point winger that doesn't handle physical tight checking hockey too well. With Roslovic, Perreault, Petan, Dano and in the future guys like Vesalainen we have plenty of winger depth for the next 3-5 years. Not sure if it gets the job done, but I'd move Ehlers + Myers and whatever other negotiable adds for Tavares < 9M AAV long term in a heartbeat (assuming we could sign him for that).. it's complete horse ****, but whatever it's my fantasy.

Sorry if this was off topic, just me ranting for the first time I think since the season ended.
Sorry but your rant doesn't make sense on a couple levels. Out of the players you mentioned only Rosie and Vesalaine could possibly replace Ehlers production somewhere down the line. The ship has sailed on Petan and Dano as they both have moved into keeping their careers alive and finding a fit somewhere category, and MP is close to 10 years older at at no point in his career has put up Ehlers type numbers, so I wouldn't expect it to happen on the wrong side of 30.

But that is quite an offer for a couple weeks of exclusive negotiating rights for Tavares. Their is no set of circumstances where a team can trade for an already signed long term Tavares on low end AAV. He would have to sign with the NYI first and if he did 100% of players would demand a full NMC or if he went to free agency 100% of players would demand a full NMC as part of the package with the team of his choice. You don't push it to this point without now gaining full control over all future movement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers is at this point is still a better player than Conner. He is capable of driving offense on his own to a far greater extent. Conner is still more complimentary than driver. Ehlers has produced at a top line per 60 rate at ES each of the last two seasons.

He still has some growth ahead of him in some areas but he already is a legit play driving first line winger.

It also doesn't help that our coaching staff is massively misusing him on the PP. Why would you ever have him on the point on left. It totally limits his options. He should be lining up on his offside where he can shoot and pass.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It also doesn't help that our coaching staff is massively misusing him on the PP. Why would you ever have him on the point on left. It totally limits his options. He should be lining up on his offside where he can shoot and pass.

This. He is so much stronger playing his offside on the PP, and has a lethal shot in close.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This. He is so much stronger playing his offside on the PP, and has a lethal shot in close.

Should be this on our second pp unit:

------------------------goalie-Petan/Perrault

---------------Little (Scheifele spot)

------Roslovic--------------------Ehlers

-------------------------Morrissey-----------------

Far more options on this one. Morrssiey can tee up either Ehelrs or Roslovic. Ehlers can either shoot, go low to petan/Perrault, corss ice to Roslovic or to the slot to Little.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry but your rant doesn't make sense on a couple levels. Out of the players you mentioned only Rosie and Vesalaine could possibly replace Ehlers production somewhere down the line. The ship has sailed on Petan and Dano as they both have moved into keeping their careers alive and finding a fit somewhere category, and MP is close to 10 years older at at no point in his career has put up Ehlers type numbers, so I wouldn't expect it to happen on the wrong side of 30.

But that is quite an offer for a couple weeks of exclusive negotiating rights for Tavares. Their is no set of circumstances where a team can trade for an already signed long term Tavares on low end AAV. He would have to sign with the NYI first and if he did 100% of players would demand a full NMC or if he went to free agency 100% of players would demand a full NMC as part of the package with the team of his choice. You don't push it to this point without now gaining full control over all future movement.
I never said my wishes were based on reality... lol I thought that was pretty clear. Just saying what I'd give up to get a player of that talent.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I never said my wishes were based on reality... lol I thought that was pretty clear. Just saying what I'd give up to get a player of that talent.
Best chance to get Tavares is to clear out cap space and then take a run at signing him as a UFA. We do have young goal scoring wingers he might like to play with and we are a true cup contender for the foreseeable future.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
literally the letter x has a better chance of playing at centre next year then petan does. or wing for that matter.

If Petan's future in the organization was as a centre he'd have been playing there on the Moose, rather than at wing.

As for wing, there's a high chance of him making the team out of training camp next year. With that said there's just as high a chance he is traded to avoid waivers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You haven't been paying close enough attention to what pending UFA rights go for. They go for mid round picks with at best those picks being upgraded to a second if the player signs. The rights are essentially worthless, no good GM worth his salt will give up much for an asset that can easily walk in under a couple of weeks. This is even more true now, given that one week grace period where every team is now able to talk to players prior to FA. There is no reason for a team to give up any assets for a pending FA anymore, now they can all present their cases a prior to FA starting.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You haven't been paying close enough attention to what pending UFA rights go for. They go for mid round picks with at best those picks being upgraded to a second if the player signs. The rights are essentially worthless, no good GM worth his salt will give up much for an asset that can easily walk in under a couple of weeks. This is even more true now, given that one week grace period where every team is now able to talk to players prior to FA. There is no reason for a team to give up any assets for a pending FA anymore, now they can all present their cases a prior to FA starting.
Just sayin value-wise. It wasn't meant to have been even remotely based on reality. Even with what I mentioned, it wasn't enough for a high end center, but w/e.. just bitching and dreaming.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I’m thinking Connor would be a better choose for center than Ehlers, as Connor can drive the play and seems adept at both passing and shooting.

Reactions: sipowicz

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Connor in his rookie season plays a more well rounded NHL game than Ehlers is what I'm saying. Connor's game doesn't change when he gets split up from Scheifele and Wheeler. Ehlers can play good with those two guys as well, but he struggles along the boards, especially in our own zone and they do a lot of the heavy lifting for him (when together). Connor's in there like a dirty shirt on every shift regardless of his linemates.

I'm not saying Ehlers is bad, I'm saying I'd trade him in a heartbeat if it meant getting a player like Tavares. We have a ton of winger depth as I already mentioned. Connor was mentioned because he's another winger with similar value, but I'd prefer to keep him if it came down to it.

Definitely didn't mean to insinuate you think Ehlers is bad if that is how it came across. I have zero issues with someone picking Connor over him but was curious as to the reasoning.

No question Connor is better on the boards! I think they are equally bad defensively. Ehlers draws more penalties and is one of the best in the league at zone entries. Not sure how that should be weighted but imo it's as valuable as being good on the boards. I don't give much for the "rookie" label... Had Connor played 5 more games the season before he wouldn't be considered a rookie. Ehlers rookie season wasn't great but he also didn't have AHL as an option (like Connor) or I'm sure he would have been sent down. Then Ehlers would have been looking at a 64 point rookie season...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers is also a very strong possesson driver (Always has been a positive rel cf% player). That is one area where Conner is still fairly weak. He's been below 50% and a negative rel cf% player each of his two seasons.

I like Conner but Ehlers scores just as well at ES while driving the play on his line to a larger extent.

They each go about driving results differently but I would still take Ehelers at this point.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Ehlers is also a very strong possesson driver (Always has been a positive rel cf% player). That is one area where Conner is still fairly weak. He's been below 50% and a negative rel cf% player each of his two seasons.

I like Conner but Ehlers scores just as well at ES while driving the play on his line to a larger extent.

They each go about driving results differently but I would still take Ehelers at this point.

How’s about we keep them both on the Wing, they’re equally as talented at this point(IMO, ofcoarse we all know there’s arguments on both sides but regardless they’re pretty equal). If your looking for a young flashy Center to make plays going 200 miles per hour with both soft and eclectic mittens say no more, I give you Jack Roslovic...

Roslovics metrics are beautiful(probably on most teams he’d probably be a 1st line forward IMO because of his perforance with limited minutes), his AHL stats are astounding and a showing of his potential in the NHL, he was the best AHL player for the time he was given in the AHL, he’s a playmaking machine that creates his best chances/shots/opportunities where Laines 5v5 Office is.

Call me crazy but I could see Roslovic being a 60pt average forward, but if he learns how to play Center and he does so beside Laine and Ehlers(with 18+ minutes per game) I could see PPG+ for all of them(as they all got limited minutes this year and they’re all extremely talented particularly Roslovic and Ehlers 5v5, they are excellent and I’d love to see them set Laine up for a whole season with more minutes for all).

Here’s some interesting articles...

The Jack Attack

Winnipeg Jets: Can Jack Roslovic Fill the Center Vacancy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad