Ehlers moving to centre

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Why not amazing speed now plays both ends of the ice coachable and more of a passer than a shooter.

Likely played left wing due to his father Heinz being a winger.

I think a trading camp and some exhibition games could get it done.

Thoughts ?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There is a lot more that goes into playing center that Ehlers just isn't good at. The reads exiting and going into the zone are much different and he needs to be A LOT better at faceoffs. The last thing is comfort, some guys just hate being the guy who has to patrol the middle of the ice. It's a much more physical affair then people think. It's a big reason why a lot of centers are big bodies and those who are smaller have a very strong base and core.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I would rather keep him on the Wing, his best asset is his skating and him down the middle would not help, this would likely hurt Ehlers development quite a bit, I much rather try and translate Roslovic to 2C or taste test Connor or Vesalainen at Center down the road if Roslovic doesn’t work out as planed down the road(which is worst case scenario). Ehlers isn’t strong enough on the puck to play Center and would turn allot of pucks over in the D-zone(he already has to much trouble there on the Wing), whereas Roslovic has the experience, Connor has the skill with elite puck control(and a slim amount of experience all the way back in USHL I believe) and Vesalainen has the size and skill(though he’s never even played there).

So the options long term for an effective 2C would be...

1. Roslovic
2. Little
3. Wheeler
4. FA
5. Lowry
6. Appleton/Petan
7. Connor/Vesalainen(a huge developmental change but they are the most skilled of the bunch under Wheeler).

20642. Ehlers

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Because he drives along the wing MUCH... better than taking faceoffs.

This. He is often the first person in the zone, either carrying the puck in, or attempting to get in on the forecheck with his speed and shiftiness. He wouldn't be able to do that as a center, as they are typically the second or third forward, and are always back in the more defensively responsible position. A lot of his game does rely on driving in off the wing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah Habs tried that with Drouin...disaster

I get the idea in theory but irl theres no way it works

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not much need IMO. Ehlers already back-checks like a centre and you want him on the wings for a breakout as other people have said.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Pass first mentality? No way. He shoots first and is better at it. Also no, he's more comfortable on the wing and likely doesn't have the strength to do the heavy lifting that's expected of a top six center. If they cannot keep Stastny, Roslovic isn't ready and Little doesn't turn the boat around, I would much rather have Wheelers down the middle. Ehlers isn't McDavid no matter how fancy looking tricks he can do on the ice.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would rather keep him on the Wing, his best asset is his skating and him down the middle would not help, this would likely hurt Ehlers development quite a bit, I much rather try and translate Roslovic to 2C or taste test Connor or Vesalainen at Center down the road if Roslovic doesn’t work out as planed down the road(which is worst case scenario). Ehlers isn’t strong enough on the puck to play Center and would turn allot of pucks over in the D-zone(he already has to much trouble there on the Wing), whereas Roslovic has the experience, Connor has the skill with elite puck control(and a slim amount of experience all the way back in USHL I believe) and Vesalainen has the size and skill(though he’s never even played there).

So the options long term for an effective 2C would be...

1. Roslovic
2. Little
3. Wheeler
4. FA
5. Lowry
6. Appleton/Petan
7. Connor/Vesalainen(a huge developmental change but they are the most skilled of the bunch under Wheeler).

20642. Ehlers

If we lose Stastny, I'd try these lines next year

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Little
Lemieux-Copp-Armia/Tanev
Petan as a possible 3/4 C.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If we lose Stastny, I'd try these lines next year

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Little
Lemieux-Copp-Armia/Tanev
Petan as a possible 3/4 C.

I would never play Lowry on the 3rd line -- he has hands of stone and can't score. He belongs on the 4-th line in a defensive role.

I'd like to see 3 strong scoring lines, and we have the talent to do that.

Reactions: Ippenator

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I would never play Lowry on the 3rd line -- he has hands of stone and can't score. He belongs on the 4-th line in a defensive role.

You think Lowry shouldn’t play more then 10-12 mins a night at most? He was our 3rd line center all year until Stastny came on board and he needs to get heavy 3rd line minutes. He eats away time against top lines to take some heat away from the top 2 lines. Even with very little scoring he’s still a big net positive.

Reactions: voyageur

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lowry had more goals / 60 minutes (5v5) than Scheifele, and was 4th among Jets regulars in points / 60.

When Lowry was on the ice 5v5, the Jets scored 58% of the goals, despite matching up against top-end competition.

When Little was on the ice 5v5, the Jets scored 49% of the goals.

Since out-scoring the opposition is the whole point...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lowry had more goals / 60 minutes (5v5) than Scheifele, and was 4th among Jets regulars in points / 60.

When Lowry was on the ice 5v5, the Jets scored 58% of the goals, despite matching up against top-end competition.

Oh facts.....who needs them.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The 4th C may be in question, but It'll almost certainly be

Up the middle. Petan, Copp, Roslovic, X, fighting for that 4th spot. Ehlers style lends itself to the wing and that is all.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers can't use his linemates properly as a winger and he should be moved to center?

It's gonna be a looooooong summer...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The 4th C may be in question, but It'll almost certainly be

Up the middle. Petan, Copp, Roslovic, X, fighting for that 4th spot. Ehlers style lends itself to the wing and that is all.
literally the letter x has a better chance of playing at centre next year then petan does. or wing for that matter.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

You say this like you expect it to be the norm going forward. I don't think it is, but his ice-tilting is undeniable...especially when he had Copp on his wing this season.

But Lowry missed almost half the games this season, so the sample seems a bit small, and this is the first time he's ever been ahead of Little in GF%. Again, I wouldn't expect a gap of 9% GF in Lowry's favor next year unless Maurice puts someone on that line who can convert the chances they create...and even then, 9% seems like an outlier.

Reactions: Spock

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He scored at a 38 pt pace this year. Bonino scored at a 29 pt pace. What scoring do you expect from a 3C?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ehlers moving "for a" centre might be a more interesting title. Good cap hit, decent value, but too soft right now and without my crystal ball I don't know if that'll ever change. He's young so there's always the benefit of the doubt, but Connor is already outplaying him and we need a 2C more than we need a 60 point winger that doesn't handle physical tight checking hockey too well. With Roslovic, Perreault, Petan, Dano and in the future guys like Vesalainen we have plenty of winger depth for the next 3-5 years. Not sure if it gets the job done, but I'd move Ehlers + Myers and whatever other negotiable adds for Tavares < 9M AAV long term in a heartbeat (assuming we could sign him for that).. it's complete horse shit, but whatever it's my fantasy.

Sorry if this was off topic, just me ranting for the first time I think since the season ended.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers moving "for a" centre might be a more interesting title. Good cap hit, decent value, but too soft right now and without my crystal ball I don't know if that'll ever change. He's young so there's always the benefit of the doubt, but Connor is already outplaying him and we need a 2C more than we need a 60 point winger that doesn't handle physical tight checking hockey too well. With Roslovic, Perreault, Petan, Dano and in the future guys like Vesalainen we have plenty of winger depth for the next 3-5 years. Not sure if it gets the job done, but I'd move Ehlers + Myers and whatever other negotiable adds for Tavares < 9M AAV long term in a heartbeat (assuming we could sign him for that).. it's complete horse ****, but whatever it's my fantasy.

Sorry if this was off topic, just me ranting for the first time I think since the season ended.

Would love to hear your reasoning here? Ehlers had more even strength pts with less toi and worse line mates... Connor was fantastic this season but lets not pretend he wasn't spoon fed good minutes with the two best Jets players. Any of Laine, Ehlers and Connor will look fantastic playing with Chef and Wheels imo.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
IDK. I don't see Ehlers and Connor as hugely similar players (quote function not working for me, so replying to two posts above) beyond their speed and the fact that both are wingers. Their skillsets in terms of leading off a rush/gaining the zone and cycling/scoring in tight even seem complementary, and while the argument might be made that KC is more of an all-rounder (I'm not sure he always will be) I don't think he comes close to replacing Ehlers, and I cannot think of a player who'd be available doing that either.

I also can't see Ehlers working well at centre, despite the growth in his overall game this year.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Would love to hear your reasoning here? Ehlers had more even strength pts with less toi and worse line mates... Connor was fantastic this season but lets not pretend he wasn't spoon fed good minutes with the two best Jets players. Any of Laine, Ehlers and Connor will look fantastic playing with Chef and Wheels imo.
Connor in his rookie season plays a more well rounded NHL game than Ehlers is what I'm saying. Connor's game doesn't change when he gets split up from Scheifele and Wheeler. Ehlers can play good with those two guys as well, but he struggles along the boards, especially in our own zone and they do a lot of the heavy lifting for him (when together). Connor's in there like a dirty shirt on every shift regardless of his linemates.

I'm not saying Ehlers is bad, I'm saying I'd trade him in a heartbeat if it meant getting a player like Tavares. We have a ton of winger depth as I already mentioned. Connor was mentioned because he's another winger with similar value, but I'd prefer to keep him if it came down to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad